some day my prince will come

I've been searching for one of these ass-kicking, mid-century modern, made in norway, clever fold out sewing boxes forEVER! How fast do you think I lept across the room at that estate sale to grab it. I was pulling a Phoebe… "MINE! MINE! MINE!"

The only trick now is finding a spot in this house to keep it that has enough room to actually fully extend it.

Here are a few last estate sale treats… 2 new outfits for the friends

and some more ribbon

37 thoughts on “some day my prince will come

1. Sarah says:

I’ve been looking for the same thing! I’ve looked on ebay but it’s one of those things you like to see in person. Congrats.

2. strikkelise says:

Very good find, that “syskrin”, sewing chest. You can still get them new here in Norway, I actually looked at one in a shop window today, but they aren’t as good as your one anymore. Lucky you!

3. anne from finland says:

Your sewing chest is great! I was happy to find one at the local fleamarket, but then saw the label ” not for sale”, so I´m still seeking for it! Those ribbons are lovely!

4. Ulla V. says:

All gorgeous stuff. You are so lucky to have found one with legs. I have never seen that….and the ribbons! Oh, the ribbons! :)
    I have one of those wooden sewing boxes too. I still love it dearly eventhough I have had it since I was 16.
    Here in Denmark we have them in small sizes too – so we bought one for our niece on her 6th birthday. Filled it with threads, ribbons, elastic, buttons, needles and more I can’t remember. Further more we gave her a pile of fabrics, which had the right sizes for children’s fingers.
    The gift was a huge success. :))

5. Jackie says:

Great find!! My mom has one just like that! She really doesn’t use it and there are a ton of vintage notions in it. I don’t even know where she got it, but I think it is pretty cool.

6. Christine Capece says:

That doll looks like a “Mandy” doll I had when I was little. Oh, what memories. And the sewing box. How delightful. I’d love to see pictures of it fully extended. I’ve never seen one like that.

7. Anda says:

I have one of those sewing boxes too. It used to have a home where I could fold it right out, but since losing our office/sewing/craft room to our second child, it has been living in a corner where only one side can fold out – I live in hope that one day it will be able to fully extend again!

8. Nutmegg says:

I found one of those sewing boxes, with little feet, at a flea market. I’d been looking forever, and they were all $70-$80. The one I found was marked $15 and my heart started RACING! I almost forgot to bargain, but they took $10 for it. And it was chock-full of scissors, pins and trims. Treasure!! Every morning when I start working, I unfold it and every night before I go to bed I put it all back together. It’s one of my favorite things!

9. Allison says:

Ohh!! I had been trying for months to remember the name of those dolls after finding my Becky and the little sister (Mary?) during a move. That’s right – FP’s My Friends dolls! THANKS!!!
    Great sewing box, by the way…

10. Jennifer S. says:

Congrats on finding the sewing box! I just scored my mom’s last week. I admired it and all of its treasures as a child and mentioned it to my mom. To my delight she said she didn’t want it anymore and it was a good thing I said something before she got rid of it. I had so much fun putting all of my own goodies into it and I’m sure it will be apart of my own kids’ memories. Have fun with it and all of your other beautiful goodies!

11. Relation Frank says:

Ah so old fashion and classic. For our grand parents that was usual part of the furniture.
    Nowadays its so expensive ! It would be hard to find similar chest for less than 100 bucks nahh

12. Kellie says:

Oh my gosh,
    I had one of those dolls, her name was Mandy. I loved her so much. I kept up with her for many years. Came home from University one year to hear I had lost her to a garage sale. Enjoy her, she’s a treasure.

13. Katherine says:

Ooh, I love when you find that perfect thing you’ve been wanting! Such a good feeling.
    You should “hop” on over to my blog and check out my post from July 24th – I sewed up a little bunny from your pattern! I will definitely be making more of them. I have two more I’m working on already!

14. UK lass in US says:

After a long search and repeatedly chickening out of buying one online I just found a similar one (no legs) at the local antique and collectibles flea market for a bargain price. I finally decided to see what the market was like (was convinced I’d pay $4 just to get in and find lots of overpriced ‘antiques’, as the local shops seem to call anything over 10 years old an antique). I was pleasantly surprised. Next time I go I’m considering taking a wagon with me…

15. Shannon.The Pine Cone Gnome says:

Ohhhh! Is that a Jenny doll?!! I had one when I was little and she came with a straw sun hat, a brown floral jumper dress, brown tights and little mary jane type shoes! I LOVED her so much! I will have to retrieve her from my mother’s house immediately now!

16. Jen says:

apparently I take for granted the two we inherited from both grandmothers. ours are a darker brown though, I like yours better :)

17. CRF_Kitty (Flickr) says:

My neighbor has one she inherited. (I have sewing box envy!) I’ve been searching for one for years. Lucky you lucky you!!!

18. amhopper@gmail.com says:

It’s so great to see another Jenny doll. I still have mine and now my daughter plays with her. I even have all the clothes tha my mom use to make her and now she’s making clothes for my daughter to play with! Thanks for bring back great memories!!