new to me

Tim and I always drive by estate sales and sigh a wistful sigh and then just keep driving because we have the kids in tow. That kind of sale is way too cut throat to bring a 2 and 5 year old into. But this weekend we saw one that didn't look too crowded and we were feeling brave so we stopped and I'm so glad we did.

I go through these stages where I'm all purge purge purge and all the crazy prints and non-cotton vintage fabric I've collected from thrift stores over the years — the silks and chiffons and satins and knits — all go back into the system. Then I get all panicked that if I ever want make Phoebe a silk coat or cover pillows with vintage upholstery fabric I'll have nothing and then I start grabbing it all up again.Guess what part of the cycle I'm in now.

39 thoughts on “new to me

1. Sam says:

wow, so much beautiful stuff! and i definitely understand the phases… i’ve been trying to “use what i have” all year in a hopeless effort to shrink my stash… but all that trying goes away so easily when you can’t pass up a score like this one. :)

2. Rachel / cREaTe says:

ha – throwing it “back into the system” made me laugh. i LOVE THAT TRIM. [4th photo] oh my. i’d make something with that QUICK before your next purge! and i could swear to you that my mom made me a clown costume [in the 80’s] that had that rainbow striped fabric [2nd photo]. looks way too familiar.

3. kate says:

just spent last weekend cleaning out my grandmothers forty year stash… seriously, hundreds of zippers and bias strips, looks like maybe you got friendly with someone she knew!! :) god bless old crafters.

4. Denise Leavens says:

Don’t you sometimes feel like a yo-yo? You made me laugh! I find myself in the same kinds of cycles. Maybe we can look at it as a bi-cycle and that we are actually covering some ground??? CRAFTING ground!

5. anne says:

Hee, hee, hee! Happy, happy days!
    I’m just the same – and currently in binge mode too. Someone will score big-time the next time I feel like a purge.

6. Awmb says:

These are amazing! I wish I could find great fabrics like that. And whenever I do, I don’t know how much to get because I don’t know what I will be making with it. Then I end up buying most of the roll, thinking that I’ll make a million things with it, and it sits on my desk for a year before one of my friends uses it on a craft day.

7. Marg says:

OOOOOOoooooooo….trying not to drool! What a wonderful new bit of stash you’ve got there!
    I’m in the process of moving and I can tell you right now that I don’t care how much or how heavy that fabric stash is, I’m not giving it away!!!

8. Esther says:

Very jealous! I picked up a little toddler blouse at a thrift store awhile ago which I’m pretty sure is the exact same print as that red floral int the last picture of your post. I love it!

9. cherylc says:

I have the plump chicks in a red and blue colorway. It is possibly my favorite fabric ever, and so therefore I can never use it. (You know?) I think about getting it reproduced on Spoonflower.

10. Chase l Oh the Cuteness! says:

Oh wow! I tend not to stop at estate sales because I would blow all my money on beautiful things! I also find them a little sad, when there is no one in the person`s family who wants their treasures. But then I feel better knowing that someone who really wants them will get them!