big girl room

Phoebe’s big girl room transformation is coming together. I think I’ve got all the structure/storage in there and now it’s time for finishing touches — painting a table and chairs, organizing shelves, making a new quilt, filling (or not) some bare walls.

For storage we ended up going with the Billy bookshelves from Ikea. I picked them for two reasons, one the shelves are adjustable and two they have the cool magazine shelves for displaying books. I think we’ll probably end up with more stuff in baskets so there’s less visual clutter but for now it’s fun for Phoebe to see everything that’s been jammed in her closet all out and ready for her to play with.

For clothes I replaced her changing table/dresser with an in-the-closet solution, the antonious again (same thing as art cart). So far so good. I worry that the drawers are a little sticky to pull out and I wasn’t sure what I thought of the wire baskets but it’s worked well so far. And it fits in there nicely. I’m thinking of getting the same for Oscar’s closet.

I even found a spot for this cute doll wardrobe we got at a garage sale years ago that’s been living in the basement. It’s the perfect home for my grandmother’s lamp that has a crazy-short 10″ cord!

This is her favorite spot… tea party. I love it too. a nook! I gave up having the bed centered under the window so it’d create this cute little hangout.

I think we’re doing pretty good for the small space. It’s cozy. And if there’s one thing we’re all about here it’s the cozy.

46 thoughts on “big girl room

1. Kim says:

Aww Hillary, fantastic job! The billy magazine shelves open up a whole new world for me …
    I use the Antonius for my fabric storage. It fell apart soon after buying it but I glued it back together with creepy metal bonding agents (the kind where you have to mix two tubes of things together) but it’s been solid ever since.
    I’m betting this serenity was completely all over the floor about 5 minutes later! Or are your kiddos more living room messer uppers?

2. BoogaJ says:

Looks great! We bought that bed for my daughter when she outgrew her crib. Now she’s nearly 10 and the bed is holding up very well. And I love that it has *so* much storage underneath!

3. Darling Petunia says:

Where’d you get the multicolored basket filled with dolls that’s on the bottom shelf with the Strawberry Shortcake thing? I am looking for something like that to hold my dinner napkins!

4. molly says:

love the whole room. just perfect for a little girl. we’re all about the cozy here, too! i especially love the vintage doll wardrobe.
    have a lovely holiday weekend!
    molly

5. DK says:

Love the new room. That Mother Goose coat rack is wonderful! I will have to keep that in mind for when I have kids or ask Dad to help me make one now just for me even. So cute.

6. Lasso the Moon says:

This is helping me so much plan my own girl’s room. Great idea putting the clothes in the closet. Our room is tiny, too and that would help a lot. Your choices are darling.
    Anna

7. Paige says:

What a sweet little transformation – very sweet! I’ve been thinking that I need to re-work my daughter’s bedroom, which is very small also. Thanks for the inspiration…I bet your honey-girl just loves her new room!

8. Kate says:

That’s seriously only 10×10? It looks much bigger, which gives me hope for my girls’ little teeny tiny room. White seems to be the key.

9. Patricia says:

Beautiful room! I love all the details. You have such great taste. You blend modern with vintage in such a seamless way. Way to go!

10. Leila says:

So cute! I’m sad that the wall of doll quilts is gone but this is really just as good. I hope she enjoys it for a long time to come!

11. amanda says:

Oh I *love* how this is coming together. I have a chickie that’s the same age as yours, and her room is criminally spartan, mostly because I am a total nazi about naptime and if there’s any toys (or anything remotely interesting) in there, she won’t sleep. But I could still do a lot to make it a more inviting place to play. I love the low-hung peg hanger thingy. And the table and chairs. And the shelves in the closet (are you a P&P fan? …Shelves in the closet…happy thought indeed!). Ok, I’ll stop nerding out now.

12. kate says:

Is that My Friend Mandy and Jenny and a Mary lapsitter doll from FP circa 1977? What a great room – my daughter has a huge room and thank goodness for the hardwood floors. They seem to attract less toys and junk than carpets for some reason. All your hard work has paid off.

13. Christine says:

I love the room. Wow. Beautiful. You have inspired me for my son’s room, and I could never do it justice after seeing this! My friend Mandy and Jenny were good friends to me in childhood. I might just have to search ebay for some. :) Thanks So much for sharing. I loved seeing it and I hope your daughter loves her new room.

14. Dana says:

Wow, I love this room and the living room too!
    I love the mix of old and new.
    I am redoing my daughter’s room too and am looking for a peg rail with more than 4 pegs for my daughters collection of dress up clothes. Do you recall where you got your 8 pegged version?
    Thanks!
    Dana

15. Veronika says:

This is a wonderfully beautiful room! I’ll be sure to keep your design in mind when I’m doing up my children’s room :)
    For now though, I’d like to invite you to visit my new little blog called Lalomino. You’ll find it at http://www.lalomino.wordpress.com It’s a crafty/creative space of mine. Please come by sometime..
    Veronika

16. Katy says:

Love the update to your little’s room! I am trying to gear myself up for the same challenge as we prepare a room (by the same dimensions) for our second baby.
    I love all the vintage tidbits! They really make for a cozy space.
    Thanks for the inspiration, with the room and everything else crafty that you do!
    Katy

17. Scout says:

Beautiful! I love what you’ve done with the space. (More generally, I am consistently impressed at the quality of your blog; I’ve been reading for a long time but I don’t think I’ve commented before.)
    One safety-related thought that occurred to me when I saw the photos: I clearly remember being a little girl and having my toys out of reach on tall shelves. My quiet solution for retrieving them, of course, was to climb the shelves— I was lucky that I didn’t literally break my neck. Given the height of the shelves, I imagine you’ve already attached them to the walls, but extra reinforcement and/or a discussion with your daughter might not be a bad idea. If she’s as clever, creative, and enthusiastic in her young life as you are on your blog, I could see her adventuring up in no time!

18. hillary says:

hi scout,
    thanks for your comment. yes! I should have mentioned this, the shelves are securely screwed into the wall. phoebe is definitely a climber! we’re planning to get her a little ladder so she can climb up there when she wants something high. right now, the stuff that interests her is down on the bottom shelves.
    thx :)