picnic quilt I can’t bear to take outside

Today, another project from the stack… I finished piecing the picnic quilt I was working on (I think I blogged about this, gingham and kokka strawberries). I had two big pieces of vintage chenille bedspread that I sewed together and used as the backing and then I quilted it with little ties on the gingham. Oh, I love it so. It's an awesome heavy weight and the nubby backing is so great. Very satisfying! It's supposed to be for picnics and sit on the dirty ground or damp grass. I don't know if I can do it. I couldn't even take it outside for photos. But it does roll up to be perfect bike basket size so what the heck, it'll look cute with grass stains.

30 thoughts on “picnic quilt I can’t bear to take outside

1. mon ami says:

Oh my goodness I love this so much! Gingham and strawberries scream summer picnics – or, indoor living room floor picnics;)
    Enjoy and thanks for sharing
    xo

2. Shannon says:

Once I get the baby quilts knocked off my list (it’s baby shower season around here!) I want to make a waterproof picnic blanket backed with laminated cotton…there’s so many cute ones coming out right now, and I think the ground here may be cold and damp for months to come with the record rainfall!

3. Jennifer Tyler says:

Oh I totally remember you showing those fabric choses. I love what you did with them. I think I would question taking it on a picnic but think how great you picnic would taste!
    Wish it was spring here, it’s still winter. Ugh!

4. Jan says:

What a perfect project for that giant strawberry print! I have some of it in the stash and now you have me thinking about some different options. :-)

5. jiru says:

Cute! How big is it? I need to make one for our picnics. The old army blanket is getting a bit scratchy (not to mention ugly…). :-)

6. Bec says:

Don’t think of them as grass stains, think of them as fun memories! Is there maybe a stain resistant thing you could spray it with to help?

7. Amanda says:

oh i love it! I know what you mean, handmades are so precious when they come out just as you imagined and they are perfect and new. Its so hard to think of actually using them. But then once the first dirt gets on them the satisfaction comes from making memories with something so wonderful!

8. UK lass in US says:

How cute! I thought of making a picnic quilt. Then I remembered how long it took me to make a doll quilt. Then I thought of my kids’ dirty shoes. Then I remembered that my grouch of a husband never wants to go on a picnic anyway. Still, all that doesn’t stop me from popping it on the to-do list.
    If you find out how to get grass stains out, please let me know. I’m still wondering why they make baseball trousers in white…