our big box!

Ok, here's the big gardening project we've been working on… our very first vegetable garden!

We figured it was finally time, we're growing two kids we could probably handle a few vegetables. Last year we figured out our best spot and left it bare so it was ready to go this Spring. Tim did all his research and then built us this beautiful 8' x 4' cedar box. We love it so. It was so satisfying just to have a big tidy box of new dirt, that we sat and pondered it for a while. Yesterday we went ahead and took the plunge and bought our seeds and plants.

We've got tomatoes (celebrity and roma), peppers (hot and bell), lettuce (red leaf and romaine), arugula, swiss chard, zucchini, basil, cilantro, chives radishes, green beans and a melon. We've got the box and a patch going on the ground too. We're all so excited. Oscar's super into it, especially planting from seeds. Phoebe's thrilled that we're outside working on projects. Tim is pleased at our first baby step off the grid. And me, I just keep thinking about salsa. By the time this garden is ready to harvest I'll be mostly, if not all the way done with the book. I have big plans to fritter away my days, margarita in hand, making salsa from my garden.

48 thoughts on “our big box!

1. Sarah says:

Replanted our first garden too and thoughts of salsa are on my mind too. 5 types of tomatoes, a tomatillo plant, cilantro and jalapeños.
    I’m also looking forward to making some homemade pickles.

2. UK lass in US says:

I am trying to convince to husband to let me plant veggies. We haven’t got much room, but I remember how good the things we had in our garden back home used to taste – and California is supposed to be perfect for growing most things.

3. C.E.R. says:

The 2×4’s that we basically threw together for our first garden are lookin’ mighty shabby, so we just picked up our cedar planks yesterday. Say, did you stain them or just leave them au natural?

4. Jane says:

Watch out for rabbits! One of my containers has already lost some plants – chewed down to nothing. Little jerks.

5. Glenda says:

Yay! This is our first year to do more than container plants – hubby built one raised bed, then added a second. We’re in a very warm climate (west central Texas), so our garden is already looking quite lush, tho only the lettuce is ready to eat. It sure is beautiful to look outside and see everything growing tho :).
    Enjoy your salsa & margaritas this summer!!

6. Melanie H. says:

I’m looking forward to making salsa again this year. Still trying to get it right. I have had good luck with the celebrity tomatoes here in N. IL. My romas didn’t do too well last year, maybe not quite enough sun, darn tree overhangs just a bit on the backside of the garden.
    Love those sunset magazines!

7. Lisa says:

I think you’ll want to turn that tomato cage the other way — with the prongs going into the ground and the wider, round part at the top. Those plants are going to get a lot bigger than they are now. :-)

8. carol says:

good job Langs! You are one step ahead…we have no plants, but I am just itching to get them! By the way, Whole Foods by you guys have tomatillo plants…saw them yesterday!

9. Jenna says:

Ha! I just made a 4×4 box for a veggie garden last week. Yours looks way nicer than the hack job I did with the drill. Isn’t it exciting to take on a whole new hobby? I have many grand plans for my little box too.

10. Margaret says:

Hooray for the raised beds! We now have 3 raised beds, and were thrilled to discover Square Foot Gardening (by Mel Bartholomew), which is a great way to think about how tightly to plant different veggies, as well as how much of each kind of plant you really want. We’re making plenty of mistakes, but it’s so FUN! (And tasty!) Enjoy your new veggie garden!

11. katy says:

We made the exact same bed from Sunset. I love raised beds because they make gardening for a beginner (like me) so manageable. I followed the square foot guide lines and broke my bed up into squares. I planted some edible flowers too, which my kids LOVED. Eating flowers?!?
    You are going to love it! Enjoy the bounty.

12. Kimmie says:

I only have room for herbs in my backyard this year. But I have lots of them: chives (garlic and regular), basil (lemon, red and regular), parsley, coriander, thyme (lemon and regular), rosemary, and then some more of which I don’t know the English word for… It feels so good to grow your own stuff. Your box looks lovely! Now let those green fingers go!

13. kiddlebug says:

Good for you. I would love to have a vegetable garden. I plant tomato plants in pots and I’ve picked up a strawberry plant this year. I just have to figure out where to put it.

14. sarah b says:

I am so jealous. We just went to the garden center to find little gloves for serious little hands. Ogie and I were drooling over the vegetables we want to buy. Vegetables can’t be put in the ground until June here in fair MN, you just never know when it will frost or snow in May.

15. Theresa says:

I noticed the tomato cage, too, but I see you’ve been instructed already! I have 5 raised beds, but not nearly as pretty as yours. I do love my little gardens!

16. Sara says:

Wow, that looks beautiful and delicious! Fresh veggies are the best… I can’t wait for it to warm up a bit more here so I can put my little seedlings in the ground!

17. Juli says:

We really wanted to do a veggie garden…it almost seems to be a prerequisite to the whole homeschooling thing. However, our home was built in 1929 and eating anything from the yard, from a raised bed or not, is iffy. I can only imagine what’s in the soil surrounding our home (lead comes to mind). Oh well, your’s looks great, though! I’ll live vicariously through your veggies and keep buying mine at the grocery store!

18. DeborahW says:

Awesome; LOVE your box. We’ve got raised beds made with moss rock borders. Also are growing our herbs this year in containers. Last year’s tomatoes were so good we doubled our plants for this year. We are also trying (first time) pumpkins. They are planted in our entryway and we’re hoping will be ready just in time for Halloween – maybe the Great Pumpkin will visit! Have a great summer.

19. Jenni says:

You garden looks great! We just started our first garden as well. And we’re excited to see how everything turns out. Though I’m a bit afraid that we’re going to end up with a rosemary tree if we aren’t careful.

20. Kara says:

Great food choices! I love swiss chard and chives. We only have a windowbox herb garden with mint, basil, parsley, thyme and sage. I can’t wait until the day when we have enough ground for a real garden. Living in an apartment means that windowboxes on the balcony will have to do for now. Maybe next year I should plant lettuce!

21. Mary Ann says:

The garden looks great! I made the same mistake with my tomato cages the first year … who knew!? We’ve had a small veg garden for a couple of years now and love it! I call mine my “greek salad” garden as I plant tomatoes, pepper and cucumber! Enjoy it!

22. Melissa Oldham says:

I love your little garden! I just planted more space this year in mine. If you need a good salsa recipe I live in Houston and have a really simple easy recipe.:)
    growmamagrow/blogspot