seasonally appropriate decorating

I know I seem like a holiday jumper with my already-on-to-christmas crafts but be assured things are fall festive/halloweeny around here. We’ve got our bats up and our plastic pumpkins out and even our ironed between waxed paper leaves up in the window.

Here’s my favorite new Halloween decor item, my new witch doll by Mimi Kirchner that is taking a break from her spot on my cherished items shelf to come out here and help me hand out candy.

And speaking of seasonally appropriate, I even baked us an apple pie! I finally figured out the apple peeler/corer/slicer that my mom got me for Christmas *and* finally remembered to pick up pre-made pie crusts and voila, a pie!! It wasn’t all that good but I’m encouraged. Maybe I’ll try a crumble next. I love a crumble.

20 thoughts on “seasonally appropriate decorating

1. frazzy dazzles says:

My grandmother’s receipe for apple pie pastry is so easy and never fails me:
    2 cups plain raising flour
    1 cup self raising flour
    250 g butter
    1 egg
    water to dough consistency
    Rub flour and softened butter until ‘crumbly’.
    Add egg and water to make dough (if you prefer a sweeter crust you can add a couple of spoons of sugar and or a teaspoon of vanilla essence now).
    Halve mixture. Roll out one half and line greased pie dish. Fill with cooled apple filling. Roll out other half of dough and make a ‘lid’.
    Prick the top to let the steam release. Glaze with milk and sprinkle sugar on top.
    Bake in a moderate oven until brown.
    You can’t go wrong…mind you I’m Australian and all the measurements are metric! But I’m sure it could be easily converted.
    Your Mimi Kirchner doll is lovely! – Jen

2. nancy says:

oooooooooooh…i’m so jealous of your mimi kirchner witch! she is too cute. and my first apple pie was no good either. bad enough that i don’t think i’ll ever try it again. that’s my story and i’m sticking to it.

3. Jess says:

I love my peeler/corer/slicer!
    I discovered that if you take down the corer part and run the apple through multiple times you get apple spaghetti. My younger Hug-a-Bug loves the stuff!

4. Pretty Jane says:

I love how Arthur Miller/Crucible/Salem pilgrim-y your witch is. She’s JUST right for spooky Halloweening, but makes a smooth transition over to T’giving, too! Am having some envy…

5. Caroline says:

Hillary! Pie Crust is SO EASY to make with a food processor! Martha has a great Pate Brise that takes FIVE MINUTES to make, seriously! You can do it :) I hope your pie was good!

6. Agnes D. says:

If your apple pie was a little underwhelming maybe you should try a homemade crusts. Here’s a link to a blog I follow. Amanda is very…well…”passionate” about homemade crust 😛
    Every little thing-pie crusts.

7. PaperDollyGirl says:

If you don’t mind cheating a bit, King Arthur Flour has a great recipe called Never Fail Pie Crust that’s just flour and canola oil.
    Also, I love the witch! What a wonderful holiday item. Now that I live somewhere with seasons, I am trying to get the hang of this thing called seasonal decorating.

8. Rebecca says:

Try the Barefoot Contessa’s Apple Crisp. It’s easy and everyone loves it. Thanks for your amazing blog. Love the new banner!