craft room bulletin

I worked on Phoebe’s quilt some this weekend. It’s going well, got three rows done, and then decided to put it back in the drawer for a while. I think she has less clothes than Oscar did, is that possible?! Maybe I saved more and have less in the cut-up pile. Either way I’m going to hold off while I wait for her to outgrow some of her current cutie pjs. (oscar’s quilt here)

Phoebe’s still too little for any of the patterns in my Japanese craft books but I thought I’d try this smock. Looks like the style where it wouldn’t matter that she’s 80cm instead of 90cm.

Still in pursuit of an organized craft room, I took down almost everything on my quilt wall and my bulletin board. All the pins are home and waiting for new inspiration.

18 thoughts on “craft room bulletin

1. Andrea says:

The quilt in progress is lovely! I had a question….do you include knit fabrics in the quilt? I’ve been saving my daughter’s clothes as well for an eventual quilt, but I was afraid to mix the knit clothes with the cotton ones. Just wondering if the stretchy fabrics mixed with the non-stretchy causes a problem with the shape of the squares/ patches? Thanks!

2. Michelle says:

I’ve held off doing both my daughters’ clothes quilts because I don’t know whether or not to put interfacing or whatever on the backs of some of them to keep them from stretching when I go to cut or put it together…? Or is that just too. much. work? I figure, as long as I get them done before they move outta the house, I’m good.

3. Carra says:

I’ve made t-shirt quilts and I’ve made baby quilts, but for some reason it never occurred to me to make a quilt out of baby clothes… until now. Thanks!
    And thanks for your wonderful site and patterns. You’re an inspiration.
    -Carra

4. Magda says:

I have found that the Japanese patterns are on the small side, and I use the next size up, anyway.
    Looking forward to seeing the quilt. I have two big bags of clothes from both my girls (#2 wore most of #1’s) which I am planning on quilting up, too.

5. CAB says:

Would you mind sharing details on the size of your blocks/squares in the quilt you’re making for your daughter? Also, what is the finished size to be?
    Thanks! Enjoyed your blog today!

6. NanaBeast says:

Love the fabric for the Phoebe smock. Looking forward to seeing how it looks made up.
    Where did you get the mushroom and bird pins??? They are adorable!
    Oscar’s quilt is precious and what joy to work with our babies’ babyhood clothing. My son is almost 20…it went SO FAST! (trite but oh, so true)

7. Casarth-Bären says:

Hallo, ich habe über das Internet diese wunderschöne Seite entdeckt. Ich hoffe sie haben nichts dagegen, das ich sie bei mir verlinke??
    Liebe Grüße aus Deutschland Ines und die Casarth-Bären

8. Barbara says:

I also have a bin full of little girl clothes that are intended for a quilt, and have been similarly stymied by the knits. My local quilt store sold me some iron-on interfacing to use, but I’m worried that it will make everything crunchy. I’m wondering about using something lightweight and wash-out to fuse it to flannel. Did you just pin and go?