topsy turvy

Phoebe may not be getting that sweater (at least not all put together) but I did finish at least one handmade gift for her. I’ve been wanting to make her a topsy turvy doll since before she arrived and finally here she is. I decided to make two versions of the same girl, an everyday version in an apron and a dressed up version with a party dress, instead of doing two separate personalities. This was such a fun project for me because it was something new. And I always wanted a topsy turvy doll and now I have one! I mean, Phoebe has one. Hmm, might need to make one for myself after the holidays.

68 thoughts on “topsy turvy

1. Kim says:

Wow, I had forgotten about Topsy Turvy dolls! I had one when I was little, she wasn’t nearly as nice looking as yours though! She was a witch on one side and an old lady on the other. Wish I still had her.
    Phoebe will love her!

2. Sara says:

I think I had a doll like that when I was young… actually, I think it was really my mother’s. But one side was red riding hood and the other was the wolf in grandmother’s nightgown!

3. Barb says:

Add me to the list of people who had the Little Red/Big Bad Wolf topsy turvy. (Gosh I wish I still had that!)
    But this is just too, too, too perfect. I love her!

4. J says: I love topsy turvy dolls and this has to be the cutest one EVER. Ok – I know you have so much on your plate, but please know that if you decide to do a pattern for this, I’d buy one in a heartbeat. Good job. Lucky Phoebe.

5. Georgia says:

She’s wonderful! Phoebe is a lucky girl.
    I used to have a cloth doll with various faces (with different expressions) that you could lift up and hook over her pigtails, when they hung down (and hooked over her legs) they were different dresses – difficult to explain, but another idea you could add to your list!

6. sjsd says:

passing through the kitchen looking at the computer…
    “i love that! she is so cute, her hair in braids, her hair in buns, so cool!! i would love that!!!”
    said my 9 year old.

7. Belinda says:

Your doll is so adorable! My sister had a tospy turvy doll. It was fun! One end was Little Red Riding Hood and the other the Big Bad Wolf.

8. Mary Ann Scanlon says:

Oh my, add me also to the Red Riding Hood/Wolf crew. I’m there in a minute if you do a pattern! So cute , lucky girl!

9. Amelia says:

great doll, Hillary. My daughter has a topsy turvy doll that she loves, one doll is awake and in day clothes and the other is asleep and in a nightie. So sweet!

10. lisa says:

Hey Hillary…….I have a topsy-turvy doll waiting for clothing on my sewing desk. She’s Little Red Riding Hood/grandma/big bad wolf all in one :) I needle-felted the wolf onto the back of Grandma’s head, so her kerchief covers him. I’ll share a pic when I’m finished. Most definitely after the new year. There is also a pattern for a darling LRRH topsy turvy doll in the apron issue of MaryJanesFarm…a mag I adore. (Did you ever get your wool from Paul??)

11. Rita says:

OHGOSH! She is beautiful! I would buy that pattern in a heartbeat. Please please please make that one into a pattern.
    I LOVE her!

12. Amy says:

I love her! I think that I will research it and make one for my daughter for her 2nd birthday. It is in February. What a sweet doll. Maybe you will offer a pattern and save me the research! I adore your patterns!

13. nancy heard says:

omigosh that’s brilliant. LOVE it! pattern definitely required. tee hee. i was not really big into dolls growing up, BUT i did have a topsy turvy doll that i absolutely loved. excellent job!!!!

14. Molly/Tzipporah from SM says:

I love it! Add me to the growing list of mamas who had a big-bad wolf and grandmother doll. Mine was lost when I was 22 years old. I was broken-hearted!
    If you make a pattern I will buy it:-).
    I love your Christmas tree decorations.

15. amy k. says:

not only did you make the cutest topsy turvy doll ever, but what gives with the sweet face?? and hair?? god dang man, she is so perfect.

16. nicola says:

wonderful wonderful! I adored the topsy turvy dolls my Grandmother knitted me as a child – one was cinderella in rags and then in her ball gown, another (just as someone else commented) was Red Riding Hood and the Wolf – I think they got thrifted somewhere along the line – but I loved them so much!! Phoebe is a lucky lucky girl!