the gnomes made me do it

Honestly! It was not my idea to go buy a gazillion really heavy bushes that need to be planted this weekend. Really, why would I sign myself up for this much work? Why would I sacrifice an entire weekend to dirt shoveling. This is not my style at all. Next thing you know we’ll be borrowing the neighbors rototiller to dig up and level the entire back yard. Damn gnomes!

handmade dolls

44 thoughts on “the gnomes made me do it

1. Nancy Cook says:

love, love the gnomes.
    still working on that house to settle in with my boys and the new little girl due in february. then i will have weekends of dirt shoveling too.
    the new stitchettes came today. so very good.

2. Julia says:

I love the little heart, too! These are so cute!! I can see them peaking out of a pile of cushions, from a shelf, and all over the house. =) Maybe that’s too many gnomes.

3. meera says:

The ability to put down roots without the near threat of relocation…such a wonderful part of home-ownership. Even though we are currently renting, I will be right there with you.
    You will be happy to have spent the weekend knee deep in dirt once spring rolls around. Your plants will be happy too! If you have any energy left…bulbs are a lovely+easy+anticipation building addition to the garden …and now is the time for them as well!!! Red and orange tulips, grape hyacinth, and white hyacinth….dream with me…. :)
    As for the backyard…..letting it grow wild (with streamlined landscape design) means you don’t have to fuss over it…..and your children have a great nature space. If you would like to see my children’s garden designs….let me know…they would be easy to send.
    happy gardening!

4. Pamela says:

I ordered 3 bare roots trees, which arrived yesterday. It took me forever to dig the holes – really heavy clay soil, plus it was wet and windy. When I went to get my little trees, I discovered that the dog had chewed off all the branches. Aaaargh.

5. commonplaceiris says:

Those are the best garden gnomes I’ve ever seen. I wonder whether they could be made with weather resistant fabric and stuffed with something heavy and actually used outside as garden ornaments for some of the year?! Probably would not be very cuddly then though.
    Anyway, they’re fantastic and I’m hoping that once I’ve actually got around to making at least one big footed bunny and some of the hand sewn animals there’ll be a gnome pattern on offer!

6. Amber says:

Isn’t shoveling SHOCKINGLY hard work? I mean, you think, “Oh, I’ll just move that dirt from one place to another using this handy tool so I don’t have to do it on my hands and knees with a trowel.” And then you’ve practically got a backache by the second time you’ve put the shovel four inches into the ground. My dad was a mining engineer and I sometimes think he got into mining just because he loved digging holes. One summer he decided our huge (3/4 acre, maybe?) backyard needed a built-in sprinkler system so we would be able to sell the house more easily. He must have dug at least 350 feet of trench for it, probably all 2 feet deep. With a shovel. I cannot begrudge him his fondness for wearing a superman t-shirt.
    For what it’s worth, I think lots of gnome heritage is wrapped up in mining as well, and it’s totally understandable they’ve got you under their spell. And I think some nice bushes are a great idea. Perennial. Attractive. Easy once they’re in. Think not of the digging to be done, but the future digging you’re saving yourself, because hey, the yard already looks great with all those bushes…

7. Casey says:

Those are the cutest gnomes ever! Your Phoebe and my Sairshe are almost exactly the same age! I am having so much fun with my laughy, smiley baby- she would love to chew on a gnome right about now. :) Congrats on your pretty baby girl!

8. Olivia says:

I want to MARRY that gnome- he’s SO DARN CUTE! I agree with the above posters. Definitely need to make a pattern of that little guy! I’ve got a little thing for those wee gentlemen. Even named my blog after them- GREAT STUFF BY THE WAY!

9. Joanne says:

Oh, I NEED a gnome! How fabulous!
    Instead of the Roaming Gnome, he could be a Roving Gnome.
    Bushes…sheesh. All my boyfriend did all summer was plant bushes on the site where our house is going to be built…no house yet, but plenty of bushes! LOL. At least all I had to do was sit on the John Deere Gator and point, “There. You need one over there!”
    Joanne

10. Pam Trenholm says:

Please ANYONE who can send me sites on gnome anything as I am having my first grandchild in May and her mom and I are looking to do her room in a gnome theme. Heellllllppppp! Please write to me with any info–fabrics, dolls, patterns–anything–pleeeeeezzzzzzzzeeeeeeee. Pam pwheeler@nbnet.nb.ca