a wall for us

We’ve found a wall for all Junebaby’s doll quilts! And it’s attached to a pretty nice 1958 ranch house that we went and bought for ourselves this weekend. Well, have agreed to buy for ourselves for the next 30 years. We’re feeling very lucky. It’s got so much we were looking for…a well taken care of, one owner home, some nice original mid-century mod touches left alone, updated things you want updated (roof, furnace, etc) and all the space we were hoping for – a room for each of us and an extra for the crafts. A nice funky full basement, cute yard with great trees, a wonderful grade school. It definitely needs work, especially in the kitchen/bathroom departments. And it is in the deep burbs, which must be the reason my 16 year old self is in there kicking and screaming and why I feel a bizarre urge to smoke clove cigarettes and dye my hair purple. But I think even teenaged Hillary will have to give in when she sees Oscar happily running amok in the safety of his nice suburban fenced in yard. I can’t believe we’re going to have a yard! Oscar has decided he’s going to plant bread.

Thanks everybody for your house hunting advice. Looking back, everything seemed to have happened for a reason. Guess you have to see 50 houses to know the right one when you see it. And when to know to act fast!

81 thoughts on “a wall for us

1. Rebekah says:

congratulations!
    house hunting is annoying, but it’s definitely not so bad after you find “the” house. That House Hunters show on HGTV makes everything look so easy.
    Can’t wait to see how everything comes together inside. I love all of your stuff!

2. becky says:

Congratulations!
    I’d love a house of that era. My husband’s grandparents had an amazing house that I would have loved to live in (except for its location in Southern Illinois!)

3. amy b. says:

Congratulations!! It must be such a relief to finally find such a great house!
    My inner teen is screaming about living in the suburbs too, but she’s found that there are fun people out here too.

4. Amy says:

Yea, yea, yea!!
    Moving’s not so fun… but when you get to arrange your new rooms, decorate, and discover all the novelties of your new home? Awesome.

5. tracy says:

congrats! yes, the move to the burbs can be tough – but seeing my girls with all the others on the street makes it well worth it. (love that you got a mcm – can’t wait to see where you go with it!)

6. Carolyn says:

Oh hurrah! Congrats!
    I had to laugh as I am 6 months pregnant and in contract to buy a house. Let’s all just shove as many big life things into as short a period of time as possible!
    Here’s to a smooth escrow and no surprises at inspection!! :)

7. carol says:

hurray! what wonderful news! yep, the burbs have their positives and negatives…welcome, glad you joined it!
    bread is a good crop. we are planning to plant barley, but it’s more for my husband and his beer-making hobby…I suppose we are planting beer, we already have the hops.
    anyway, congrats.

8. lisa says:

congratulations. home ownership IS all is cracked up to be. you will have SO MUCH fun, and i can’t wait to see pictures of what you do with the place!!!

9. elizabooth says:

Oh, hooray! When we bought our current house, also far further from downtown than I ever could have imagined myself, I was a little bummed. But if you love the house and it fits the family, it’ll still be geat. No more house hunting! Hooray!

10. ms moniker says:

Glad it all worked out. Buying my first home was both exilarating and scary. I remember looking at the house from the curb and thinking “I can’t believe I bought anything this big”. Now I wish it was bigger! Have fun.

11. Malin says:

Lol. Isn’t it amazing what you find yourself doing as an adult that you never thought you would as a child/teenager? I feel just like that. Congratulations :)

12. Amanda says:

Woo hoo! You’re more than welcome to join the ranks of us suburban-retro-authentic-50s-ranch-house-dwellers !
    Hooray!!
    Oh, and my neglected blog for our pristine, untouched, single-owner 50s ranch house is here:
    ranchhandy.blogspot.com

13. Jenn says:

wow! how great! now you will have a whole new place and a new baby to make things for! my only advice (being someone who has renovated both kitchen and bathroom) shop, shop and shop around some more. it is such a pain but so, so worth it in the end! I can’t wait to see what you do with the place, I hope you share lots of pictures!!

14. erin says:

congrats hillary! i know that you have been looking for awhile now.
    and the chicago burbs are my childhood home. you couldn’t ask for a better place!

15. tania says:

oh woo hoo hillary- i am so happy for you guys!!!
    i know i will be jealous when i see that yard- thats one thing i wish we had more of-
    yay for you! thats perfect timing too-

16. tifsmith says:

congrats!
    i have lived in a 1959 ranch for 5 years now and i could not love it more.
    ok, maybe i could.
    (we are considering an addition)
    there are things about it that can only be found in a house from this era.
    have fun decorating!

17. Gina says:

Congrats!!!
    We are getting ready to take another trip down house hunting lane. I hate to give up all our land but the septic problem has broke the last straw on this remolding job you could say.

18. LetterB says:

Delurking to offer congrats! When I was five we moved from Rogers Park to South Bend IN and all I cared about was that we were going to have our own back yard. Last year my husband, boy and i left nyc for exurb life and I experienced that joy all over again. Hope you love it. I think you will.

19. di says:

Congratulations- you may have looked at 50 houses or more but it’s worth it when you find the right one- and I know plenty of people who have had to look for much longer!
    I hope the move and getting settled goes according to plan, and that you’re all nicely settled in by the time Junebaby arrives :)

20. emily says:

How wonderful! I am very happy for you. Can I ask what town it is in? I lived in Wheaton for most of my life up until this past September. I understand if you don’t want to share the town, but if you are happy to, it would be fun to know. In any case, enjoy it! That’s marvelous, and such good timing.

21. Chris Howard says:

Congratulations on your new house! I knew by the time I saw my second room that I had found home- did it work that way for you?
    (my inner teen is rolling her eyes and feeling smug and superior to yours because we moved from the burbs to the city- but we don’t have kids either)

22. raine says:

yayayay!! congratulations! go ahead and dye your hair purple, just to keep that 16 year old happy. i live in the deep deep burbs, and i have had those very strong urges as well – glad to know it’s not just me!

23. sally says:

Congrats on the new house! My husband loved growing up in the Chicago suburbs and would jump at the chance to raise the boys in the same environment. But his temperature sensitive wife has nixed that idea…for now. Gosh, I hope it warms up, we’re headed out there in a few weeks. I can’t wait to eat some good food!

24. Sue says:

How fantastic for you all to find the house that you want. Oscar will love having a back yard to play in too, always great for kids to have space to run around in.

25. Flannery says:

Congratulations! You seem to have so much going on in your life but please – please – don’t stop creating and sharing! Can’t help but be selfish and think of myself. And can’t wait to see what’s next.

26. Jeanne says:

Hey, congrats on the house! Very exciting. And I would love to see pictures of Oscar’s bread garden when it’s ready to harvest. My daughter (7) and her friend (6) helped a neighbor bring in her groceries and were rewarded with M&Ms. The neighbor and I heard the two of them speculate on whether or not a hot dog tree would grow if they planted some of the candies. :) Maybe we could get the two harvests together and have hot dogs and buns?

27. leslie says:

please post pictures of your new house, especially since it has midcentury and mod touches. i love retro houses! i used to smoke cloves too, how funny!!!shhhh, dont tell.

28. Siri says:

Oh that’s such great news! There’s just not much more home-y than having a baby in the oven and planting bread in the yard. Congrats, and so glad that you’ll have your very own place to nest.