the boys

hey thanks for all the great comments on the dolls yesterday!! although now I feel sad for all my rejects. I’m feeling guilty for
all the ill-sewn half-made doll bodies that were sacrificed for their stuffing.
though, truth is, there’s nothing all that cute in my cast off pile right
now… just an arm here, a too flat head there and lots of badly sewn
bunnies. these two dolls were exceptions in that they were almost
finished and almost just how I imagined. the new doll will be very close to these. but enough about the girls, here’s the new boy.. space boy.

here is with his goggles on.

and more boys are coming. I’ve started on a much requested boy
embroidery pattern and am working on a little guy version of the doll
from yesterday as well. but there I’m kinda stuck. I have this fabric
picked out from my stash but I don’t have enough of it. I think someone
sent it to me but I can’t remember and I’ve searched all over online for the
same fabric to buy more and can’t find it. if anyone had a lead for me I’d
really appreciate it. I have my heart set on these damn dots!

66 thoughts on “the boys

1. rem says:

Okay..THAT is really cute. I love his face, you really gave him a ton of personality without doing much! I really hope to see more of this type, a space girl would be a nice change too! XD

2. Melissa says:

Okay so he has to go in one of the furture books. All the little boys out here need one of these. The girls always get the good stuff. Love the little space boy he is awesome.

3. Sofia says:

Inspired by you and Rosa I’ve decided to try and make some dolls for my baby, due in october, but all I have is a pile of heads, body, legs… So it was reassuring for me to read this post! If you, a great artist (love all your dolls!), also have a pile maybe there’s hope for me..

4. erin says:

holy space boy, batman! he is so dang cute – i know many little boys who would love to get their hands on him, especially with the goggles. once again, well done!

5. Melissa says:

Oh please keep that one for the booklet because I really want to order the space boy pattern for my son. He’ll be soo thrilled to finally have a boy themed doll compared to the sister’s piles of toys.
    By the way, were you thinking of making an aliens for the booklet?

6. Wendi Gratz says:

He’s so cute! I love space guys and he reminds me a little of the kinds of things that Dan Yaccarino draws – very simple shapes and loads of personality. Can I second the request for an alien to go with him?

7. Ellen says:

He’s just way too cute, that little space dude – yay for boys! I like Melissa’s suggestion about the aliens too… although, can aliens be cute?:)

8. macati says:

Hi!
    Don’t feel bad for the rejects because we always learn from our mistakes, they were useful for a purpose: to do better the next time. And this space boy is great… good work, manela

9. Lily says:

Oh my goodness. Look at those pants. So fabulous!! And the goggles – what a hoot!
    Yes, it’s reassuring to know your projects don’t always turn out as planned!

10. JoAnn says:

Your space boy is just too cute. I love him. I think the shoulders set him up so well and the grey fabric with the circles is great. You sure know how to put it all together.

11. mary b says:

Oh, my, God! He is soooo cute. When are you coming out with your next wee wonderfuls book? So far I’ve made 3 bunnies, 3 bears and one kitten (as a dog person, I felt like a traitor making a kitten…) – all to rave reviews. Thank you so much for putting the book together, I love your style and the pattern was so easy. It is so much more satisfing to craft something versus buying something mass manufactured.

12. Alisa says:

This is so fabulous. I will have to make one for my son (although my husband will be more tickled with it.) But I can see that I might have to figure out how to attach a cape to the back and turn him into a super space boy. He’s just perfect!

13. Heather says:

Yeah! Projects for us mums who want to sew & embroider, but have only been blessed with boys. (Sounds like an episode of Jerry Springer… oh dear.) How about a rocket to go with the space boy & previously mentioned alien?

14. Heidi says:

Great space boy! Does this mean there will be a boy-themed put together book out sometime in the fall or winter? If so, please please consider putting that wonderful knitting robot doll in there as well! I love that little guy!

15. Becky says:

Add me to the list anxiously awaiting the boy embroidery. Tilly is hanging on the wall, but she is in desperate need of a brother!!

16. kristin r says:

He such a cutey! I like your fabric choice, it’s very nice. I hope you find your missing fabric. It looks like it would be simple enough to make, you could always dye some fabric that you have on hand with wax circles and then take out the wax by throwing it into a hot wash (i hear bee’s wax is great for that). And don’t worry about rejects, if you only had a few than you wouldn’t be as good as you are. It’s that ability to say, I like you, but you are not up to par, that allows your work to be set to a higher standard.

17. Sarah says:

After seeing your adorable girls the past couple days, I thought to myself…how wonderful it would be to make my nephew (who is nearly 2 and obsessed with Buzz Lightyear) a little handmade spaceman buddy who wasn’t so commercial.
    And lo and behold, the very next day you post him. Like you read my mind!

18. malinda says:

wow – I love all yourstuff but this one especially @_@ if you sell the pattern or the dolls I want 2 – one for my nephew and one for me.