neopolitan

If you’ve been wondering where all the pinks, creams and browns have gone these days it’s because they’ve all been sucked into the vortex that is my craft room. It’s been a whirlwind of projects for our upcoming niece. Hope Maggie likes Neopolitan!

ok Katie, no peeking beyond this point. (I know she won’t. She’s the good sister. The one who only halfheartedly helped me dig through closets for hidden Christmas presents when we were kids.)

I had to knit something and I’ve given up on knitted booties. I can never get them to look as nice as in the patternbook photos. I saw this pattern for a one piece kimono sweater in the Mason Dixon knitting book and I knew that was for me. So easy! and very cute I think. I used Tahki cotton classic yarn and it is smooth and soft and knitted up so well. Can’t wait to see this sweater with a big fat baby in it!

Maggie's kimono sweater

Here’s the first of many dolls I’m sure I’ll be making for the new little girl in my life. And what’s that she’s leaning on? The most trying part of the baby trousseau…the bedsheets. The cream stripe is the bed skirt, the pink polka dot is a fitted sheet and the pink another fitted sheet (that I bought, thank god). There is nothing complicated about making a fitted sheet or bed skirt but it is just so irksome; dealling with huge pieces of fabric, pressing under tiny seams all the way around, sewing on elastic. uck.

And here’s baby Maggie’s quilt. I love the simplicity of this design. All rectangles. My friend Jen who knows all things quilt related says it is a version of the rail fence quilt. See more, not so impressive pics here here here. I tried something new on this quilt. I sewed the binding down by hand. Took forever but I love how it looks.

Now that I’ve got the presents made I just need to finish up the baby shower projects. I’ve made the favors and game prizes. I’m working on pink alphabet garland like this and then I need to order flowers and I think I’ll be all done with my end. Woo! I’m anxious to get this shower over and done with because that means it will be closer to baby time. I am so excited to be an aunt! To get unchecked access to a new baby but still get to sleep through the night. heaven!

41 thoughts on “neopolitan

1. Meg says:

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, and beautiful. May have been a pain to work on but well worth it. ‘Cause it’s all beautiful. That garter stitch kimono looks stunning and easy enough even for me to try.

2. Adriana says:

It all looks so wonderful! I love the new kitty’s dress.
    What a fantastic job. That little girl sure has a warm welcome waiting for her.
    Congratulations on being an aunt. It’s the best thing in the world.

3. JoAnn says:

Oh Hillary: I just love all the pinks and creams with the brown. Beautiful. And the softie. And sheets no less.
    I’m sure Katie and Maggie are going to love the layette made with so much love. You’re a great Auntie!

4. Anna says:

The sweater is adorable and I LOVE the kitty!!! You did a wonderful job on the quilt, it’s lovely! What a lucky little girl!!!!

5. nikki says:

Oh wow! If somebody would have thrown me a shower as beautifully coordinated as this I think I would have died. Can we see the alphabet garland when its done? I need alphabet inspiration for my daughters homepreschool room.

6. Kim says:

I saw the suite over on Flickr first and thought neopolitan too! Tastier than pancakes for sure. I hope you feel redeemed after the red thrift quilt (though I thought that one had awesome powers)!

7. Lavanotes says:

I’ve just drooled over my keyboard thanks very much. If letters start sticking together or disappearing I know who to blame! Your sister is incredibly blessed to have you as her sister. Your gifts are not only truly gorgeous but incredibly thoughtful and are just pouring out the love. GREAT job!

8. carol says:

You are truly amazing and I bet you had so much fun picking out all that fabric!
    Now it’s the waiting to give the gift I’m sure is more difficult than all of the sewing you endured!

9. hannah says:

oh my goodness. you made sheets? do i understand correctly? sheets?? wow. everything looks neopolitan yummy! i think you have hit upon a brilliant baby loving scheme. the aunt! of course! all the baby goodness without the exhaustion! enjoy my friend!

10. Rebecca says:

Gorgeous as always! I’m not having a baby but I was thinking of having a neapolitan color-theme for my wedding . . . 🙂 I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you really have a talent for pairing up aptterns that are so wonderful together!

11. debra says:

These are beautiful and perfect! I especially love the delicate colors on the quilt–so precious & feminine. You mentioned garland–I have to tell you–have you seen Pam Garrison’s blog?? She makes the most beautiful paper, fabric garlands…to die for! Check out her blog: http://pamgarrison.typepad.com/pamgarrison/
    Check out the March 20, 2006 entry for some close up pics. There are also some in the April archive, but something in April makes my computer want to jam up. I would love to see your take on these! Oh, and Pam’s blog is worth every minute you will spend there–such beautiful things! I’d love to hear what you think.

12. marybeth says:

What an amazing , wonderful Aunt you are! I am sure your sister in law will be over joyed with the immense ammount of time and love you have put into every single detail

13. Em says:

I have a question – did you change the pattern at all – or did you do the newborn size sweater as it is in the book? I am looking at it, and it SEEMS short to me, but what do you think? I am starting one now. Em