wee bunny pattern

** Update: I’ve added a new flickr gallery for finished wee bunnies if you’d like to add yours..

Time to get Easter (or whatever) crafting. The wee bunny pattern is now available in the new freebies section! (see sidebar) Based on the wee pattern, the wee bunny is easy to make and very versatile. I used the ever abundant fleece, fuzzy side up, for my solid front but you could use whatever you like. The pattern calls for a pompom butt. I made my using my new pom pom maker and some yarn. You can go that route or you can buy poms at the fabric store or sew one up, whatever works easiest for you. The ears are flat and not stuffed and I just zigzagged them together for the easiest ear possible. If you want puffy ears you could cut the pattern pieces a little larger and sew right sides together, turn inside out and stuff before sewing them into the bunny.

As with all my free patterns, please make them for personal use only. Please don’t make a litter of bunnies and start selling them on etsy. If you’re dying to make some to give away to people you don’t know, why not make some up and donate them to kids at Artists Helping Children, a wonderful organization that distributes donated handmade toys (knitted or sewn) and other handmade items to sick and needy children.

Have fun! Hope this one is bug-free. I’d love to see any finished bunnies and if there is enough interest I’ll start up another flickr gallery for the wee bunnies.

71 thoughts on “wee bunny pattern

1. Lori says:

yay! bunny time! i’ve been checking every day because i had such a good time making the pointy kitty! i want to make a bunny for my nephew for easter. he’ll love it. thanks so much for sharing these great patterns. it’s super generous of you. i have so much fun with them-i’m just starting out with making things by hand(i don’t know how to use my sewing machine yet!) and it’s great that your patterns lend themselves to both ways nicely. :)

2. dawn says:

Oh Hillary, you are the best. I’ve already got some beautiful flannel with carrots on it and some of that super soft fabric (I’m not sure what it’s called but it’s all over the craft stores right now). I was going to make up my own (lame) pattern, but the wee pattern is just perfect. and the tail… how cute is that! I promise to post pictures for you.

3. Stephanie says:

so vey cute and so very generous of you to offer it for free. might have to put aside my own bunnies and make a couple of these for m&m’s easter baskets.
    thank you also for the artists helping children link and the personal use reminder. there is a lot of stuff on etsy that looks, um, awfully familiar (emphasis on the awful).

4. allison says:

Yah!!!! I’ve been looking daily for this little guy! I enjoyed making the kitty – my first attempt at making anything like that… and it was a wonderful experience. Thank you!
    And thank you for providing the link to the Artists Helping Children… great idea!

5. Sadira says:

Thank you! thank you! I am slow as I just cut out the paperdolls and put them on my fridge! Wee Kitty was next…but the bunny may be first! (although, my machine is being cranky right now) How sweet of you…

6. sarah n. says:

Yippee!! It may be cruel, but I’m thinking a litter in a basket for a couple of 3 foot tall 10 pin bowling champs would be best gift ever. I gotta get on this. you rock.

7. lisa says:

oh so cute hillary. i love this new design. weird to think that your original wee design propelled steph into making softies. and now look at her. perhaps this design will inspire someone else to get started!

8. Rachel says:

Thanks so much Hillary! I’m currently making a pointy kitty… my first time to make a softie. I can’t wait to start on wee bunny. So sweet! It’s so wonderful of you to share your patterns. I also used your paper doll pattern. Although my 17-month-old daughter is a little young to understand what paper dolls are, she has a blast carrying them around. It’s like she knows they are special and just for her. We’re having so much fun with your patterns. Thanks again!

9. marci says:

I love the printed fabric. Last night, I posted a stuffed animal I had when I was I child that is a similar shape but I never knew what it was supposed to be. Your is much cuter!

10. melissa says:

Thanks for putting something out there that is so accessible for those with short attention spans! All the turning out and tiny sewing gives me waking nightmares… Thankfully, there are wonderful people out there who have the patience for it. This project is so great.

11. Kelli says:

Yay! Thank you again for your kindness and generosity by sharing these with us. You’ve inspired me to try to make softies for the first time. Yippee!

12. Corinne says:

Oh I’ve been waiting for this pattern since you first posted it! I can’t wait to make one for my daughter for Easter!
    Thanks a bunch for sharing!

13. JoAnn says:

Your bunny is beyond cute and it looks so easy. Thanks so much for the pattern. For sure this will give me the kick I need to get me sewing again.

14. Stephanie says:

omg :) how adorable 😀 Funny, we have the same taste in bunny shapes – I just put up a pattern on my blog for an amigurumi bunny! Now I’m going to have to try to do a sewn bunny ala Wee Wonderfuls!

15. Shar says:

Thank you, Hillary! My 7 year old grandaughter just told me that she would like me to teach her how to sew. This adorable little bunny will be the perfect project for us to make when I visit
    her at Easter.
    Thank you again for your generosity.

16. jean says:

Is it me or is that bunny kind of staring at me? Very sweet indeed. Thank you for sharing. Can’t wait for the book!!!

17. Krista says:

Quick like a bunny… I’m done (I’ve been stuck at home today so why not take advantage?)
    My bunny is here if you would like to see it. It was fun! Thank you so much!!

18. Robin says:

Hi Hilary – thank you so much for sharing this adorable pattern with us – I am going to make one to go with a silent auction donation I am making called the “Chairitable Event” – the bunnies will have places of honor in the chairs. Best, Robin

19. Laurie G. (morningk) says:

Thank you! Thank you! It’s irresistable! I had to dive right in tonight and make one! It stitched up in a snap, I love it!

20. Ismoyo says:

Very very cute indeed!
    Inspires me to draw up some easter related patterns and start getting into the easter spirit.
    Maybe some little bunnies to place on the breakfast table…

21. julielion says:

Oh my. Thank you so much for your kindness with the freebie pattern. I am going to try to make one of these for my one-year-old for Easter. If mine turns out half as cute I’ll be overjoyed. :)

22. Toni says:

Darling! I have wanted to take part in Artist Helping Children for a long time, this just might be what I make! Thank you so much for sharing.

23. emira says:

I’ve been waiting for this pattern to arrive. I’m so very excited! Now if only the crafting gods will help me find the time to make a bunch of these for the wee ones in my life!

24. anjo says:

Thanks so much for your generously cute pattern, Hillary. I simply cannot wait to try and make one (& I have a few bebes I am currently making things for…how perfect!). Too adorable!

25. Anne Margaret says:

THANKS for the Wee Bunny pattern! I was so inspired by it’s sheer bunniness, that I whipped a couple of gals last night and today. I had fun with adding wire to the ears and a flower for the pom pom tail. You can see the whole process at my blog (tentenspot.blogspot.com)! THANKS!!!

26. Roberta says:

Thank you for the darling patterns. I really like your inspiring ideas. It will be fun to create these with the kids! My daughters will LOVE the paper-dollies, and I am thinking of making the “Pointy Kitty” for my aunt who LOVES cats.
    Blessings~
    Roberta :)

27. Amanda Keeys says:

How incredibly kind of you to share your pattern! So cute. I’ve been peeking at your blog every so often, and it’s just sooo inspiring. I haven’t used my sewing machine in over two years, so I’m gonna break it out to sew up this little bunny for my daughter. Thanks again! :)

28. Val says:

thanks for posting this! i hope you don’t mind…I also posted about this in my site’s blog with links back to your site as well. SO ADORABLE!!! I am making some ASAP!!!

29. Kajsa says:

Is that Marimekkofabric? On the back of the bunny? Looks like something we had at home when I was a kid.. Greetings from Finland!

30. Karen says:

This is a great pattern. Thank you so much for sharing! I made this one for my daughter with her favorite Amy Butler fabric. I posted it in the flicker group.

31. Courtney says:

Thanks so much for the bunny pattern, I had so much fun making it. Check out the photos in the first post on my new blog– http://twostraightlines.typepad.com/two_straight_lines/
    (I still have some work to do on the blog, obviously) I had a really tough time with the bottom, so I ended up sewing up the back and 1/3 of the bottom with the machine, then finishing the bottom by hand. I made a little beanbag, so I didn’t have to worry about the rice falling out. Is there a special trick in case I do it again? Thanks again- Courtney

32. Jen says:

Thanks so much for the pattern! I love the bunnies. This pattern came at the best time for me. I needed something I could finish and feel good about this weekend. Thanks!

33. dlgolden says:

I loved the bunny too! I made mine last night and wanted it to be a baby gift. To be sure Petunia was perky, upright and washable, I used a plastic yogurt top in the bottom to provide a flat surface.

34. katie says:

Thank you for the cute pattern! I made one yesterday and it was so easy, even for a toy-making beginner like me. For some reason, I had to make the bottom circle 1/2 inch smaller in diameter for it to fit to the body I sewed. At any rate, it’s adorable, and as soon as I take a photo, I’ll post it at your Flickr group.
    Also, nine of these (without bunny attributes) would make a wonderful soft bowling set. I plan to make one for my kids ASAP!

35. Joanne says:

I had such fun making two wee bunnies today–one for a baby turning 1 and one for a baby soon to be born. Thank you for sharing your pattern!

36. Mitchell says:

You’re work is amazing and adorable, keep up the good work, I’m gonna make the wee bunny for a girl for valentines, thanks!!!