first one’s free!

A free pattern for Pointy Kitty is now available to download! She’s a sort of trial run for the pattern booklets we’re working on. The PDF includes instructions and the pattern pieces. If you give her a shot I’d love to hear how it goes. Any feedback would be great!

her bum here.

**update – thanks Jess and Jennifer! Hopefully everything is in place now. Anybody who downloaded this early will want to get the updated version. Also we reduced the size of the file so it should be much less painful to download.

**yes, another update! – download again if you’ve been confused by the where is "C" controversy. thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

102 thoughts on “first one’s free!

1. jess says:

Way, way, way cute. Great illustrations in the instructions. I’m impressed!
    One thing– piece B should be labeled “body”, right? It was labeled “head” when I looked at it.

2. del4yo says:

What a pretty pattern! Just lookingat it I could understand what was wrong in one
    I done last year. It’s perfect and cute, as everything you do. I will definitely try to find time to try my hand at it!
    As a graphits myself,I would just say: when you make curves ( My guess is that you used illustrator) put the less points possible. It will make your perfect patterns easier to cut…And prettier to watch too!

3. Jennifer says:

Cute pattern! I’ll probably make one (after finishing up all the projects I *must* do in the next week…) but I do have one question:
    Nowhere in the instructions that I saw was how to attach the head to the neck. ๐Ÿ™‚ Did I just overlook that part?

4. klaus says:

oh snap!! you don’t know me, I never comment, but I have totally admired this pattern before and I am SO PSYCHED. I suck at sewing but I am gonna make ony ANYWAY. Sweet deal.

5. Pink Rocket says:

As soon as I saw this I grabbed some fabric and went at it! For my first 3D softie it turned out fairly decent! The pattern was very easy to understand and I made it in about an hour with multiple interruptions from my little one! My only problem was that I thought I was missing a page since I couldn’t find C, then I was like, duh, it’s a part of B! I can’t wait for your pattern booklet!

6. Kylie says:

Wow she is so pretty ^_^ Im going to try and make one, wonderful pattern layout! very easy on the eye and I can even make heads and tails of it which is quite a feat considering i havent done much sewing at all ^_^
    Thanks for sharing her!

7. mari says:

*thanks* for the pattern! i have about 5 patterns from japanese books i have been trying to wrap my head around (mostly cats) – there is hope for this one actually getting made!!
    Mari

8. vania says:

Oh, i’m so sad. I can’t seem to download your pattern and i so want to! It’s adorable and i really wanted to get started on it this weekend. Any suggestions? Once i hit download it just sits there on a blank screen for a Long while (i use Firefox as well as Explorer).

9. Carol says:

Pointy Kitty is so sweet!
    I’m also a little confused about the proper method to attach softie heads. When I made the big head Japanese kitty, I managed to sew the head on but I had not idea what stitch to use or how to do it and it came out as a bobble head.
    Can you include head-sewing-on-tips-for-dummies in the pattern book?
    I’m so excited you are doing this!

10. hillary says:

vania, your email doesn’t work so maybe you’ll check back here. you can try to email me again from a different address and we can see what’s going on. most likely it’s just taking a long time to download. it’s a big file and if you’re on a dial up it will take a while.
    carol, that big head japanese kitty just is a bobble head. that’s how my big head kitty is too. for this kitty just pin it in place how you’d like it and then just sew where the pins are. you want to use a blindstitch. there’s a photo of that and a link to more description in the wee tutorial.
    and thanks everyone for the thank you’s! I had no idea how much work this was going to be and I’m really happy to hear people are excited about pointy kitty :)!!!

11. amy k. says:

oh wow-this is so awesome. and when am i going to do this?? I need to chuck all the other stuff and get working on this pronto. I love the hair-style on this little guy.

12. Daphne says:

Thanks, Hillary! I appreciate the thoroughness of your pattern pieces (the stripes, eyes and nose). While I might branch out and make my own or modify those you provided, I really prefer having the complete pieces instead of “cut felt for eyes as seen in photo.” ๐Ÿ™‚

13. Alisa says:

I love this and am going to make it. My daughter has a real fascination with Cat Woman (she makes everyone call her catwoman.) I’ll be making this in black.
    And . . . I REALLY would love to make the big footed bunny for Easter. Puhlease, will pay big bucks for it (grin.)

14. Sarah says:

Hillary – Amazing! Thank you so much for sharing this pattern, for free! I can’t wait for the booklet. I’m trying to get into making toys because now that I’m getting married I have extra nieces and nephews to impress at Christmas! ๐Ÿ™‚

15. smashley says:

Thank you so much! I’ve been looking at your beautiful softies for along time and I’m really excited to try the pattern. I know my 4 year old will Looooove it. I’ll buy the booklet too!

16. susaninfrance says:

what a nice thing to share a pattern and get us hooked! this does not look easy for a second time seamstress, but gotta try it anyway. will you do a flickr group with the results?

17. vania says:

Hillary, thanks for the note. Little did i know we had installed Adobe Reader wrong – we just got a new computer. So, the problem was at my end. I am so excited to make this wonderful cat! Thanks so much for your generous offering!

18. jennyann says:

Thanks hillary!
    I plan to package the pattern with 3 different choices of fabric, some contrasting felt, and some button choices, then wrap the whole shebang in a big pink ribbon as a valentine’s gift for my 16 year old daughter! She’ll love making kitties!
    JennyAnn

19. Kate says:

This is an impressive pattern. The computer work is terrific (and that’s on top of the kitty being pretty cool too). My 10 year old started asking for a pink one the second the pattern came out of the printer. It will make an impressive first project for my new machine, due tomorrow. Thanks Hillary.

20. JoAnn says:

Your pointy kitty is so cute. I am excited to try my hand at my first stuffed project. Thanks so much for the free pattern. It must be fun to think of all the pointy kittys that are springing up around the world as a result of your pattern.

21. Mijk says:

I just couldn’t wait any longer. So yesterday 22.30 I started kitty. His head is nearly finished and it was so much fun. I desperately wanted this to become a favourite pattern because I just like kitty so much and so far so good!

22. dlouise says:

Question from a novice soft toy maker: how do you embellish securely after stuffing and not have knots, visible messes?
    thanks to anyone who can offer advice.

23. hillary says:

dlouise – I tie a knot in my floss and then start by pulling it through where it won’t be seen – under the felt, behind the buttons, etc. To finish, after the last stitch I push the needle through the toy to some other point a ways away (on the other side of the head, the body, etc) and pull the thread taut and clip. that way the long end of thread is jammed in there in the stuffing somewhere. haven’t had any come loose so far.

24. Erika says:

OH MY! As soon as I saw your pointy kitty, I knew I had to make her. And you have another buyer for the book—I can’t wait for it !
    As a side note, I’m a secret reader of your blog! Sorry for the lurking–I promise not to do it anymore. You are such fun to read!

25. Dawn says:

I am absolutely LOVING this new page design!!!! I will come back several times today just to look again.
    Happy Valentine’s to you and your DH and little O.

26. hillary says:

nina & nancy, nope the seam allowance is incorporated into the pattern. no need to add extra. nancy – the ‘c’ is really small, that’s why p.k. stands up!

27. andy says:

thanks for the fab pattern! i made one myself this weekend – although made a few tweeks to make her more my own. She’ll be posted on my blog tomorrow.thanks again!

28. anjo says:

Dear Hillary, Firstly, thank you SO much for the freebie pattern! I cannot tell you how much I adore it (well I can, actually…love it!). So generous of you. That said, I now can’t wait for the pattern book, if this is a sneak-peek-treat as to what’s to come. Lovely!
    I also wanted to fyi you that I made my first Pointy Kitty last night for my wee lass for V-day. I made a tiny version. You can see it on my blog if you care to take a gander at what your pattern is inspiring. It was very easy to follow (the pattern)…no problems at all.
    Thank you again…YOU are always an inspiration to me (yes, always!).
    Anjo

29. ivy says:

I made your kitty for my daughter as a Valentine. She’s in love with it! Thanks so much for the pattern.
    I’ve posted a not very good pic at my site if you’d like to see it. I’m afraid I don’t know how to sew, but I like how it turned out anyway.

30. monica says:

I made a lovely little kitten out of linnen, leather and felt yesterday. I was feeling low because my boy gave me loads of wonderful valentine’s presents, but I haven’t got a penny spare to spend on him. A bit late perhaps, but today I posted the kitten together with a little story on how he came to be, and why. 5 euros on postage, and I feel all the better about this inter-continental relationship of ours ๐Ÿ™‚ Thank you!!

31. allison says:

Thank you for the adorable pattern. I can’t wait for your book to debut! I’ll be quick in line to purchase. I made the kitty for my son who decided this week we must get a cat. Great timing! Here is my try… http://mowask.com/diary/2006/02/meow.html
    As a seperate note, I just love Oscar’s Christmas bunny. My son too is a BIG fan of Little Bear and would just love this guy. Hope to see it in one of your books down the line.

32. Laurie G. (morningk) says:

Love the pic and pattern thanks? I’m finishing mine up today. I’m starting to see some cute pointy kitty pics on flickr. It would be fun if you had a gallery like you did for your wees (?).

33. Mieka says:

I found this via craftster.com. looks like a good set of instructions with enough pictures for the visual learner types (like me) and reasonable text.
    am looking forward to making a few (my 20 year old nephew is cat mad and amused by periodic stuffed “critters”. If he likes this guy I’ll be making ones for the rest of the spawnlings, even if they aren’t so little anymore.) I don’t normally go for “cute” but these guys are a definite exception.
    Mieka

34. Stefany B says:

I have just printed off the intructions and I cannot wait to make it! I am SO exited! I better get off and do it right now! I just wanted to say THANKYOU!
    So much for making this pattern availible!
    Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!
    Okay, now I am going to go make the Pointy Kitty!