Paige

Paige kitty loves school. This Fall she is starting kindergarten and she is over the moon excited about it. So excited in fact, she’s had no time for Summer activities. It’s been pencils and books, letters and numbers all Summer long.

***Newly added "crafters notes", etc at the end of the story

When the rest of the kids are at the swimming pool Paige is playing teacher.

And when she does go to play outside she makes sure to bring her studies along.

Paige is very pleased it is finally August because that means the first day of school is right around the corner. It also means back-to-school shopping. Paige picked out a new plaid dress, a new backpack and a new pair of shoes. She had some trouble deciding between the orange loafers and the brown t-straps but in the end the mary janes won out.

Now that her outfit is planned it’s time to get her school supplies in order. We went down the the grammar school today to check out her supply list and Paige snuck a peek in the kindergarten classroom to see what it was like.

She was positively giddy after seeing the room all set up for a new year of classes. Chalkboards, little desks, cubbies and mats, globes and maps! Geography is a favorite of Paige’s.

She is happy to be a Great Lakes gal!

Finally it was time to head to the store for supplies and then home to pack up her backpack.

Now that she’s all set, shoes are polished, backpack is packed, ribbon tie is tied the only thing left to do is practice waiting for the bus.

******************************************

"Crafters Notes"
I don’t really know where to add this stuff when I’m doing a little story like this so I’ll just jam it in here at the end. Thanks for the nice comments about Paige Kitty! She was a tough one. You’d think these things would get easier but every new idea has so many challenges. It took me forever to get her kitty head right. I had to try 3 or 4 iterations before I finally was happy. And then her outfit.. I started with a kind of school uniform with a yellow blouse and pleated plaid skirt. The stuffed pleats were a wreck and the color scheme was wrong so I went with this softer plaid that started life as a thrifted men’s JCrew shirt. Then there was the hat I tried to make – total bust. I think I need to start with all my hat plans on a creature without sticky-up ears! Then the shoes. I wish the wool felt was cheaper. I went through many different designs and colors before ending up with the brown mary janes. The backpack, once I finally decided on a fabric, went quickly and I was so excited when I found the number ribbon in one of my disaster ribbon drawers. I think that may be my favorite part.

For the photos, they all are linked to the flickr originals where you can click “all sizes” to see much bigger versions. I hope the site is not taking forever to load. Calling photos from flickr in uniform sizes is tricky business. Maybe I’m just doing it wrong? I’ve ended up linking to the largest size photo on flickr and then resizing to fit in my template.

So some materials… flannel body, wool felt stripes, eyes, nose, collar and shoes. The fabric for the backpack came from my friend Jen in Tokyo and features the mischevious Japanese racoon, tanuki

Paige will be for sale. I’m going to put her up for auction (with a backpack full of surprise goodies) as soon as Tim has a free moment to make me an emailer so I can notify the mailing list.

And how does she stand? She’s sprinkled with magic fairy dust of course! or maybe it’s the magic of photoshop 😉

43 thoughts on “Paige

1. april says:

so adorable! I love the orange loafers, even though the maryjanes do look splendid with the plaid dress.
    I am so curious– how do you get your dolls to stand up and pose so well?

2. shanna says:

if the loafers don’t fit katie can i have them? hey Hilary maybe you should go into the shoe designing trade, i think you’ve got the knack for it!

3. Sarah says:

I love the stories you write for your dolls! You should write a series of children’s books, using these wonderful photographs as illustrations!

4. Stephanie says:

I know it was not your intent, but this totally made me cry. I just picked up Mia’s kindergarten supply list this morning. Conflicting emotions. Looking at a pink eraser breaks my heart.
    My favorite part has to be the backpack with the numbered ribbon straps. I want one!

5. Sarah says:

You really make some of the sweetest dolls! Each one of them has such a definite personality, and your talent for that is really remarkable. I really admire the work that you do.

6. Blair says:

I totally agree that these stories and dolls would make great children’s books. Loved everything, then the cute little backpack sent sighs of cuteness going thru the room here at home!

7. Laurie says:

So cute! I couldn’t wait for you to get to the backpack. As soon as I saw the little straps over her shoulders I was like, “where is the picture of the backpack?” I adore that fabric.
    You did a wonderful job telling her story in “picture pages”. (Sorry for the pun — i couldn’t help myself.)

8. Jennifer says:

It was worth the wait to see what how you’d use that tanuki fabric I gave you–the backpack is perfect! Beautiful kitty. (Paige was right to go with the mary janes. Loafers are probably too hot for the first day of school in Chicago.)

9. ani says:

ADORABLE! Paige reminds me a lot of me when I was small, very ready for school. You are so talented and clever! Does Paige have a home?

10. kristen says:

with every entry i wonder again how you do it all? amazing creations and creative stories to go with them! i would’ve had a much tougher time deciding between the mary jane’s and the loafers — they’re both so perfect!

11. Bettsi says:

The picture of her and Oscar at the playground cracks me up! He’s like totally ignoring her! (Or maybe he is just respecting her quiet time!) She is absolutely too cute, Hillary. i love her!

12. amy k. says:

ah! too too good. I really love the hair and the nose! are they the same fabric as the face? I can’t quite tell-but I love the subtleness-and I just realized in re-reading and lookly more closely (ADD) that you have Gaspard and Lisa book in this story! too funny! we don’t have that one yet-
    I love her. and, I have a great source on wool felt (for shoes) that is to die for-will tuck some in the mail to you soon-

13. Olivia says:

Thanks for sharing the crafter’s notes– I really like your work and it is good to hear about your challenges– it reminds me that even the crafters I admire struggle. (a good little reality check!)

14. beth says:

absolutely adorable…how do you do it all?? you are amazingly talented…thanks for sharing! (i would love to win one of your cuties someday…) smiles

15. Melissa says:

that is the cutest doll. you make the best creations. plus her story is so cute. and if you do photoshop them, you do a really good job. i swear i thought she was walking around. haha.