shrinky dink pins

Pins1

I was inspired by Craftlog to buy some shrinky dinks at the hobby store to play with. I was going to make some buttons to go out with my orders. Instead I got sidetracked by making fancy pinheads. After trying to melt the shrinky dink on top of a pinhead I realized, duh, you can stick a flat headed pin *through* the colored, cut out shrinky dink shapes and then put it in the oven together and voila! So fun! I’m excited to have a project to work on in the kitchen while Oscar is poking at his food. I’m going to send some out with each of the pincushion auctions that are ending today.

Pins3

And here’s a new lily pad pincushion I made.

Pins2

59 thoughts on “shrinky dink pins

1. sunni says:

oh those are great hillary! picking up some shrinky dink has been on my list too, but who would have ever thought of these adorable pins! brilliant!

2. dawn says:

Oh Hillary, you absolutely never sieze to amaze and inspire me. I am so excited about making a few of those little pins. You really are a crafting and artistic goddess.

3. Jenny says:

gasp* this are simply adorable! i love little delicate sweet things easpecially when they sit on top of such an adorable lily~ you are so talented!

4. Jess says:

oooooooooooo. I don’t need pins. I don’t sew. But I have to find an excuse to make these…. thanks for sharing!
    Jess

5. Betty says:

Too cute on the Shrinkes. Your colors came out great what pens/pencils did you use?
    Shrinky dinks has a website where you can order the sheets for your printer.

6. Betty says:

Shrinky dinks has a website where you can order the sheets for your printer.

7. evelyn says:

those are adorbale! did you find shrinky dink sheets in chicago? i’ve been looking everywhere! i just don’t like the idea of having to pay shipping to order online.

8. peapies says:

They are super..In fact you should always include them on you pincushions on you auction…I bet you get even more AND in fact I bet if you included a cute little card with instructions on how people can make more you would boost the sales too (not that you need a boost) I just think it looks FAB with pins IN the cushion and so on.

9. kelly says:

Those pins are great! I was thinking about making buttons and stitch markers… Now I have more reason to get my butt in gear and do it!

10. grace says:

those pins are so cool! the lilypad pincushion is adorable. i was also wondering what kind of shrink dink paper and pens you used. i think i feel another short-lived craft obsession coming on πŸ˜›

11. hillary says:

yay shrinky dinks! I can’t wait to see all the pins everyone comes up with.
    I used the shrinky dink kit from the kid’s craft section at hobby lobby and markers – sharpies and sakura pens to make mine.
    I’ll have to go check how much of that green felted sweater I have left and see if I can make any more lily pad pc’s to auction off.
    thanks!!

12. Sandy says:

I LOVE the lily pad pincushion!! What never fails to amaze me is how an idea can pop-up in so many different places at once. I have started designing pincushions because I need something new to make and want to open an on-line store on my website. And I am sick of everything I am currently making. I’m still in the designing stage – but it’s felt pincushions based on things in nature, like leaves, acorns, etc, that I’m so excited about. And then here you have a lilypad on your website. Something must be floating in the air around Chicago.

13. Laura says:

Oh! Loved and immediately made pins and cushio (strictly for personal use, of course). I have been making shrinky dink mobiles for years and one of those inspired new pins – little bugs. Try some, they’re so much fun! I started with ladybugs, but the ones I made up are even better – and they actually kind of make sense on lily pads! Next up. . .frogs! I’m a quilt/dollmaker and every now and then it’s so nice to do an instant gratification project! Thanks for you wonderful creativity!

14. hillary says:

I made some bugs too! But I think I had the oven on too high because they all curled up. I’ll have to try again. Right now I’m working on dragonflies to go on the lily pads.

15. amy says:

Your pins are very very cool. I have had shrinky dink pages gathering dust just waiting for something interesting to use them on and this is totally it. What a SUPER idea.

16. susanne says:

Guess who’s going to the craft store for some shrinky dinks?! Sweet idea, I can’t wait to try it out. By the way, heart heart heart your crafts, v inspirational!

17. twdl_dee says:

Noooo, too cute and cuddley, yet prickley at the same time (kind of like a rose*** he he). I’m getting greedy, for I feel the urge to make my own. Can you say Hello Kitty and Shrinky Dinks in the same sentence? I can! ^0^ Thanks for the ideas and inspiration.

18. Barb says:

Those pins are just what I’m looking for. I have had such a hard time finding sharp pins with large heads. Large head pins seem to be dull, and the super sharp ones are too dinky now thin. This is the perfect solution. Good gift idea too, with a homemade pin cushion. The pin cushion is inspiring also. When I was a kid, I loved blanket stitching around felt shapes. Now I have a reason to go back to that. Check out this pin cushion on Bella Dia’s blog for inspiration http://belladia.typepad.com/bella_dia/

19. Ruthie says:

Oh, these are darling and so fun to make, my grandkids loved making a bunch over the weekend, kept them off the computer and from watching tv. They enoyed creating their own designs…keep up the good ideas for us all…

20. Kylie says:

I have heard that you can use #6 plastic (with a 6 on the bottom surrounded by arrows) if you can’t find the proper stuff. Haven’t been able to find either over here, but it’s a good theory πŸ™‚

21. Rachel says:

Cute idea! I love all the different designs. I want to try it out, but I bet ming won’t turn out as good.

22. Mary says:

I LOVE YOU! I stole this idea from you and made some for my dad for Christmas for his buliten board at work! He’s a real estate agent, so i traced some of the houses he sold!!
    You have to be the most creative and coolest person ever!

23. erika says:

Are you using clear shrinky dink paper? Mine always turn opaque white when I shrink them. Yours are completely wonderful and very inspirational

24. Sabrina Simon says:

Ok – So I’ve gone nuts with sets of pins after I saw these!! I’ve done fruit and little flower and butterflys and caving gear (I’m a “crafty Caver”) and some that are little dog and cat stuff. I just think they are too!!! Cool!!
    Awesome. I’ve decided to make sets for all of my frinds who do any kind of sewing or needle craft.

25. Jessicah says:

I love these! But when I tried to make some I found the shrinky dink tends to slide up and down the pin after it is cooked- very annoying. Wondering if you have/had this problem and how you rectified it???

26. yue woon says:

help! may i know where can i get the shrinky dinks u used? your pins are toally lovely!!! πŸ™‚ i thought the srinky dinks were opaque,how did u get that transparent top layer? πŸ™‚ im intrigued!

Comments are closed.