I want this wall

Check out this page from another favorite library book of mine, Collecting American Country.

A wall of antique doll quilts. I love it! I love the idea of making a slew of delicate, small scale, possibly even handsewn, geometric quilts and then arranging them as one big work of art on the wall. Problem is I have no blank walls. I may have to start on one anyway.

**oh and there’s an errata on the free knitting pattern. a new updated PDF is up and the changes are indicated on the download page as well, here. thanks for catching it Mary!**

24 thoughts on “I want this wall

1. stephanie says:

What a great idea for wall art. You could really put those anywhere. I think that’s especially good for those odd shaped walls where a traditional framed picture just doesn’t work.

2. Mary says:

You’re welcome! :)
    I love the little doll quilts! I have one quilt block done like that, the block was made in the 30’s for some abandoned quilt. I backed & quilted it and hung it up in my kitchen. It looks really great- I’d love to have more.
    I’d be all about a little quiltin bee!

3. teresa says:

Wouldn’t this be a fun swap idea. Put a size constraint and swap mini quilts.
    could be embroidery,cross stitch, patchwork, theme, or artquilt. I do love all the patchwork though. Maybe 1 pattern and interpret colors/scale.
    If anyone is interested email me
    teresahome@juno.com
    Have a beautiful day.

4. Heather says:

Little quilts are so gratifying. You can get them done relatively quickly and you get to make many many fabric combinations. Somehow it appeals to the instant gratification part of quilting. Oh, yeah, and it makes it way easy to hand-quilt them as well. I love it because it can be so primal and bare-bones. Kind of what quilting started out as. Super perfect idea!
    Smiles,
    Heather

5. Jen says:

This is exactly what I need to do with all my fat quarters that are just waiting to be used. What a great idea. I really don’t have the stamina to make the large bed quilts anymore… let alone the room.

6. Megan says:

I have half a dozen blank walls (I’m underestimating out of shame) and you’re welcome to borrow one.
    Actually, this is very inspiring. I think I could go for this idea.

7. Toni says:

I was happy to see this wall and to here of your interest in small-scale quilts because that has been an interest of mine as well! I am attempting a queen size quilt as a wedding gift for my son and his wife-to-be. I’m not an experienced quilter by any means and have felt overwhelmed at times! But, I am getting the quilting bug, and small, hand-stitched ones seem very appealing to me.

8. Connie says:

I Love this wall, I am always making little blocks but I never seem to get them into quilts, but this post may put my butt into gear and get those UFO’s finished up. You have such a great blog, lots of great ideas. Thanks for letting us peek inside your sewing room.

9. anyberg says:

I love this! Thanks for sharing the wonderful inspiration. I am thinking of doing this in my craft room. I like the idea of the instant gratification that a smaller quilt project can bring. Your blog is great! I’ve been reading for awhile and I am always inspired. Thanks!

10. Lynn in Tucson says:

“The Complete Miniature Quilt Book” by Dinah Travis is a good book, too. There are several used copies on line if you search by title.