I spent maybe 2 hours yesterday afternoon, geez was it really that long, trying to figure out how to do an attached i-cord border to my knit afghan. I couldn't figure it out from the diagrams and written instructions so I went to youtube and started watching videos. Those sent me down some paths trying different methods, none of which I could get to work. I didn't have the correct needles and that wasn't helping anything. I think I've got it now but I had to order new needles and I'm pretty sure my yarn for the border is going to be wrong.
All of this just to say that making things is difficult. I'm just putting that out in the universe this morning. Learning new skills, following patterns, improvising to make things work for you, all difficult.