decking and knitting

Want to know two things that are difficult to do with kittens afoot? Decorate for Christmas and knit! I will prevail though.

Untitled

I'm trying to figure out intarsia

Untitled

if this is what the back is supposed to look like then I'm on the right track

Untitled

and most exciting.. I'm teaching Phoebe how to knit! This photo is from when we got started, scarf looks a little different now after she's worked on it.. but it still looks scarflike. We're a pair of knitting superstars.

Untitled

10 thoughts on “decking and knitting

1. Julie says:

The back of your knitting looks marvelous (as does the front). I love knitting with my daughter (it’s even more fun late at night in front of the Christmas tree when Christmas dreams are keeping you awake).

2. Erin says:

SO cute! I love the scene with the vintage trailer toy (which I’m jealous of and want), tree and doll. So precious.
    I totally understand the difficulties of Christmas decorating with a kitten. It’s been a few years since we’ve been able to have a tree :(
    And Phoebe is adorable! Looks like it’s going pretty well for her first try.
    So glad I’ve stumbled across your blog :)

3. Tina L. says:

The knitting looks very nice. What you are doing is called stranded knitting (sometimes referred to as Fair Isle). In intarsia instead of carrying the yarn across the back, you use a different piece of yarn for each motif. This results in a lot of ends to weave in. It’s more commonly used where there is a lot of space between motifs.

4. Jennifer says:

Looks awesome! I see some cool hats in your future. Stranded knitting should look just like that. For long spaces, I sometimes wrap the main color around the one that is stranding in the back as I knit, to keep it tacked down. There are different ways to do it, and I am not a pro. But once you try colorwork and motifs like this, it is REALLY hard to stop!

5. Jenn says:

Hi there, I like your pictures but i just wanted to comment and say that while your knitting is indeed very nice, you are doing fair isle there and not intarsia.

6. Margaret says:

Phoebe’s knitting looks terrific! What lovely even stitches for a beginner! And as a couple of people have pointed out, your heart-pattered colorwork is done using “stranded color work” (it’d be “fair isle” if you were changing the background and/or foreground colors between rows). “Intarsia” is a different technique involving multiple colors per row: http://www.purlbee.com/intarsia-knitting-tutorial/ Regardless, your swatch looks great. Congratulations, and enjoy!

7. hilary says:

Beautiful colorwork. One tip I recently learned is to floats when carrying the stitches over more than 4 stitches. For example at the centre of the hearts, you’re carrying your blue and yellow over 5 stitches a “float” that long can easily get snagged if it’s on the inside of a garment. By wrapping them, you invisibly shorten the float, and avoid the possibility of such snags. There are some good Youtube videos on how to do so.