we are santa’s elves

We had a busy busy weekend of not leaving the house.

We made Orangette's caramel corn for passing out as we do every year. So yummy!

caramel corn

We tried our hand at yarn wreaths (from Christopher and Tia). Oscar gave up because he couldn't make it neat enough so I just made them myself.

Both kids loved these modern paper ornaments over at Design Sponge. They're like magic! I want to do lots of paper things this year but here's what I don't get… you need paper printed on both sides for all these cool things (like these). Where do you get that? Scrapbook paper is one sided, my cute wrapping paper is one sided. Gluing cute paper back to back is too bulky. Is there something I'm missing?

We also tackled the make it yourself from scratch gingerbread house. I don't want to say never again but, how about not again for a reeeeally long time. What the crap? That's impossible! Getting those edges to match up. Baking all those sides to be flat and sturdy and straight. Ours is seriously leaning and gapped. Oh well, the kids just like to shovel candy in their mouths like they're getting away with something. Maybe next year I'll just go straight to the bowls of candy.

20 thoughts on “we are santa’s elves

1. Barbara says:

You can find double-sided scrapbook paper, I have some in my stash. All we have is a Michael’s here in town, so I must have gotten it there. We used to use solid colors, so it wasn’t an issue, but the patterns are pretty. Good luck looking.

2. Stacey says:

Here is how I get around the problem of wavy edges and corners not matching up: I use hot glue to connect all of the joints. Then I hide the gobs of glue with the icing. This means that we get o the fin candy part before we have all lost interest.

3. Chelle says:

I second Stacey’s suggestion. Hot glue is the secret to getting that baby to stand up. Or make a cardboard house base, and glue the gingerbread directly to the cardboard. Or do what my cousin did. After her 3-year-old put her fist through the roof for the umpteenth time, she told her children that their gingerbread house would be the one destroyed by a tornado, and so that’s how they decorated it…

4. Debby says:

I love your post, the wreaths are cute, I think I’ll try them, and I love the gingerbread house, looks yummy! They really do take a lot of practice to perfect but the kids love them.
    Merry Christmas!

5. allbuttonedup says:

trader joe’s a-frame gingerbread houses is where it’s at. and they are cheap.
    (ikea had lots of cute double sided paper and seriously, i just got a bunch of presents that were all double-sided wrapped and i was all, “what the heck?”. i’m guessing paper source. apparently i have fancy friends.)

6. netta says:

I have been making gingerbread houses with family and friends since the seventies (this year my daughter cut gingerbread for 15 houses). Our solution for wonky houses (strictly a vehicle for the candy) is to add a sign and more snow… Broken or bending houses equal a construction site, a tornado or add more icing and you have a blizzard!!! Kids are creative and they get a kick out of making a disaster out of a disaster :)

7. Anne says:

Oh, those paper ornaments! My children and I made oodles of those years ago (after mid-century, before mid-century modern – always hopelessly out of step, am I). We used neon coloured computer paper. I bet they have better colours nowadays!

8. Maggie says:

Those wreaths and ornaments are adorable! I got a gingerbread house kit from Ikea for about $3-4, it worked pretty well, but I still say never again. What a pain that icing is and the mess!

9. Rachel says:

Almost all cardstock is double-sided. Available at all printing and office supply stores. I also second the origami paper – such pretty designs are available! Although not as elegant, there is always construction paper…

10. Darcy says:

Pretty much all scrapbooking paper is double sided with patterns/colors or go to an art supply store and get big sheets of “fancy” paper that sell by the sheet :)

11. Bibliocycle says:

I just received a pad of double-sided scrapbook paper as a Christmas gift and your question here was my first thought. I think my “giver” found the pad at TJ Maxx or Homegoods, although the brand is one I recognize from Michael’s/AC Moore.

12. erin says:

The problem with origami paper is that it’s too small to make the stars. You need paper that’s at least 12 inches long so that you can cut strips a little less than 1 inch wide. They recommend 20inch long paper for inch-inch 1/2 wide for bigger stars. That double sided wrapping paper would be great for that! I use 12 inch scrapbooking paper bought from a scrapbooking store, but I’ve also seen the same stuff at Michael’s. They truly are addicting once you get the hang of it…I hope you make some!