pets

praying mantis

I dreamt about bugs last night. The last thing we did before going to bed? Catching fire flies in the yard. The first thing we did when we woke up this morning? Headed out looking for crickets. We didn’t have much luck finding any big guys but I was sooo happy with the teeny tiny crickets we found so we’d have lunch for the praying mantis. Yep, the praying mantis which is one of Oscar’s new pets. His other new since school’s been out pets? Here they are…

two glowly little guppies

can't remember what the fish are

a wavy lined emerald caterpillar. he’s a camouflaged caterpillar hiding out as the pollen in this flower.

camouflage caterpillar

a monarch caterpillar

monarch caterpillar

What lead us down this buggy road? It started with Victor, our new fire bellied toad who eats crickets. He was an impulse buy at the pet store to placate Oscar after our attempts at raising tadpoles went belly up. Of course now that I’ve read all about them I realize we should never have bought a frog at the pet store. They’re becoming extinct. They live for 10(!) years. They’re slightly toxic. We’re in a pickle now. No way out but through I think. He’s a cute little guy. We’re setting up a new bigger tank for him today. Hopefully he’ll be happy here.

victor

So now there are three habitats going on in Oscar’s room. Swamp, Ocean and Prairie. Wish us luck! I’ll keep you posted. Already that monarch caterpillar is 10 times that size. I need a new photo. It’s good practice with my macro lens, all these bugs. Oh, and we found Microcosmos on instant Netflix. Score!

We also have this purple caterpillar but can’t identify him. Anyone know?

10 thoughts on “pets

1. Kristine says:

Microcosmos is such a beautiful and amazing film! Love that you are nurturing Oscar’s curiosity. Did you purchase the Wavy-lined Emerald Caterpillar, or find him in your yard?

2. Michele says:

I love it! We have three of the glow fish and they are our favorite! We are fellow bug fiends – growing up in Idaho we didn’t have fire flies – sure appreciate them here in NC. Hope you have a great 4th! xoxo michele

3. Brooke says:

Wonderful finds! Habitats and exotic pets are a stellar part of boyhood! :-) Our home has played host to a multitude of critters. It will be one of the standout memories when I look back on these busy, raising boy days!
    Love the frog…toxins and all. He has really cool toes! :-)

4. Tiff says:

I would love to get a praying mantis as a pet for the kids, we have them in the yard occasionally but we have never kept them. Are they hard to keep alive?
    We keep adding to our pet family too… started off with just a dog, then added a cat, then a tropical fish tank, then two bunnies, and today we got a goldfish setup with a Black Moor and a Oranda goldfish.

5. Heather says:

Try http://whatsthatbug.com/
    You can send them a picture and they will do their best to identify it or you can go through their database and look for your “bug” on your own. It is a great site full of insect information.
    I was also pretty thrilled when I discovered Microcosmos in my instant Netflix queue. I love that movie! And now my kids do, too.

6. Jessica says:

I LOVED frogs/toads when I was a teenager- I started out with a fire-bellied toad named Jorge that would play dead and laugh. I’m not even kidding! If you tickled his sides he would laugh. At one point I think I had 6 frogs and 2 salamanders in my room! My advice to you- don’t get any treefrogs. They are so fun- but when they die it is horrible and traumatic. I still have nightmares that I have forgotten to feed my frogs, or that I find them dead out of their cages! They are such fun little creatures- good luck!!

7. Carolyn says:

Aw love the Firebellies! I would be very shocked if they lived 10 years, so don’t worry about having to feed them with the kids are teenagers 😉 I don’t remember how long mine lived…maybe 2 years?

8. kat says:

we own 2 fire bellied frogs! they even moved with us from the coast of virginia to oregon. my husband likes to put rocks for them to climb on and moss in their tank. we all love how they “bark”. for a long time i thought i was hearing dogs in the distance, lol!! have fun with all of your pets, and i LOVE your work :)