I’d show a picture of the pie, but it’s gone

Did you know you can eat serviceberries? Also known as june berries or saskatoon berries. Well, you can! And that I have a serviceberry tree in my front yard? AND that saskatoon rhubarb pie is amazingly delicious?!

serviceberries

It's my new favorite berry.

We're eating off the land out here in the suburbs. It's like little house on the flippin prairie! Tomorrow… I'm gonna blog all about bugs. And give some stuff away, but not bugs.

22 thoughts on “I’d show a picture of the pie, but it’s gone

1. pat t says:

aw shame that you’re not giving away bugs, we can use some more mosquitos here in Park Ridge. Just kidding. My next door neighbor has a tree that drops berries on our driveway and gangway sidewalk. I wish those were edible, all they do now is make a huge mess, and plop on your head as you’re walking. I don’t think it’s a service berry as it is a huge tree not a bush, of course all the branches lean over to our property:).

2. Gerda Vantuil says:

Saskatoons are extremely plentiful up here on the Canadian prairies – that’s how the city of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan got its name!!! LOL I don’t recognise them when I see them, though – I do think we had some bushes on one of the acreages we lived on, but because I didn’t know about them, I never picked them. Up here, jam is made with them, too. They are very popular up here (I’m in central Alberta)
    GErda

3. Seanna Lea says:

I have a very dead tree in the front corner of my yard. I’ve been thinking about replacing it with a dwarf fruit tree, though the service berry sounds really terrific too!

4. carol says:

ah! you should follow Nathan on his bike rides…he has found lots of wild grapes (made jam), mulberries (jam again), and crab apples, and mushrooms too…all along the Fox River. come forage with us!

5. Jacqui says:

Boy I miss Saskatoons, every ex-pat Western Canadian I know here in New Zealand just dreams about them! Yours look like a different variety than the Albertan ones though, ours are much more like a blueberry in colour. When I was a kid we used to pick them along the riverbank and people would look at us like we were mad. We’d get bucketloads. Now you’re lucky if you see one or two on a bush because everyone knows about them!

6. Sally says:

That is so cool. At our house we are trying to figure out how to grow huckleberries. I’ve only found them in the wild, but they are so delicious.

7. angie in asheville says:

Here in NC, we have serviceberries, also known as shadblow. Are they edible when red or do you have to cook them? I’d love to know, because we always wait until the berries have turned dark blue, like a blueberry, and it might mean I can get started earlier!

8. Shannon says:

I have never heard of those berries before. What do they taste like?
    Our blackberry trees are heavy with flowers right now. I can’t wait for cobbler.

9. Mary Ellen D'Aurizio says:

I think serviceberry trees are fascinating. They got the name because when they flower in the spring, the undertakers knew the ground had thawed deeply enough to bury (and have services) for the poor souls who had died over the course of winter.

10. oteller says:

I’ve never heard of these berries before, but all you have to do is mention rhubarb, and you can count me in. We actually had some braised rhubarb empanadas at a brewpub in Philadelphia tonight that were dee-lish. oteller.