hey doll

Except for a small blip there at Christmas I've had a really hard time getting excited about making toys since writing the book. But lately I find myself kicking around ideas again. Dress up fashion dolls, animals in outfits, stiffly stuffed animals.

This gal was in my box of abandoned ideas. Not totally abandoned, she ended up in the book in parts… her body turned into the Heart Doll and her hair landed on Mermaiden. But I still want to put the two together. l like the idea of a flat folky doll with interchangeable quilted wigs and different outfits. Fun, right?

I'm having daydreams again about starting a line of manufactured toys. Ethically produced, maybe even made in the USA toys. Of course even in hypothetical daydream form it's completely overwhelming. But, sigh… it'd be so awesome.

18 thoughts on “hey doll

1. Seanna Lea says:

I love the idea of a quilted or knitted wig to swap on and off. That way people don’t need the doll to have black, brown or blond hair. They can have liberty print hair or hot pink hair or lace hair!

2. Gina f. says:

Aahh you are like me. When I am not inspired to make anything I still dream of what I could/like to make. I ordered your book yesterday and I can’t wait till it gets here. Have a good weekend

3. Jaime says:

i love that idea. it makes me think of those boardbooks i had as a child where you could flip sections of the page over and end up with a fireman face, clown middle and dancers pointy shoes. Smiles!

4. Molly says:

Your book makes me wish I had children, or more friends with kids! I especially love that you can customize the skin tone or hair to match a child. I was looking for an african american baby doll for a friend’s little girl (she wanted a doll that looked like her) and I had the hardest time finding just what I wanted.

5. Kim says:

Well if you ever do produce that line I would be in line to get some…we need more kids toys out there that are ethically produced…great ideas as always…

6. Lucy says:

Taking the next step, that’s good. Ethically produced doesn’t have to be made in the US.
    Although costs are certainly higher, you can sell for a higher price if made in the US. From experience, this may make better economic sense than moving the production to countries like China. Because unless you have the quantity, production costs may not be as low as you think.

7. angie says:

i love love love your designs! this may be a dumb question, but do you sell any dolls already made? or is there a pattern for this sweet doll? i ask because i love that your dolls look so unique…and i’m in the market :). we have 2 little boys and my sweet baby girl is coming home soon (we are adopting her from china :) super yay!) and everywhere i look dolls have bright blonde hair…and well, i need some asian dolls in these parts! they sadly don’t exist in toy stores…and i want to give her a doll to love…to squeeze and have tea parties with.
    ok, super random post. sorry about that. i’ll search through your patterns and see if this one is around and about.
    have a wonderful day and thanks for being so wonderful :)

8. April says:

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one who gets stuck in creative droughts from time to time, but even more glad that you’re coming out on the other end! Because you dolls are absolutely the best!!
    I love your work and I think a line of ethically made toys would be brilliant. Plus all the other little things you mentioned make me very excited… animals in outfits, fashion/dress up dollies… they sound completely precious!!

9. Hillary Lang says:

Hi Angie,
    No, I don’t sell dolls already made. I’d love to but can’t seem to find enough time!
    Any of the doll patterns can be adapted easily to be Asian. My Kit of Kit, Chloe and Louise is Asian. And there’s a Chinese gal in the book, Panda Buns. Hope that helps.
    Congratulations on the new addition to your family!! :)

10. Irmhild says:

love the hair! i made a doll with similar hair, it was wool felt, and i stuffed the wig (because my doll’s head was a little flat (only my 2nd attempt at making a doll, i seem to enjoy the process of working on a pattern more than actually making a doll)). my doll’s hair was shorter though, and as i still wasn’t a hundred percent happy after a while, i made it into pigtails, now i love it… and most importantly, my daughter loves the doll.
    wigs are great for adding character to a doll!

11. Marguerite says:

I keep thinking about things like that… and then that dang CPSIA regulation reminds me I can’t afford it… (unless it’s marketed officially to adults, perhaps?)