what’s pippi reading?

Here's the latest book club stitchette, the one I was promising last week. Had a little blip in my blogging mojo there. The temps dropped below zero and I froze up. But I'm thawed out a bit now.

Ended up making these cushions. That was the one fabric that seemed to go without being too matchy matchy and most importantly that I had enough of on hand. Now I'm thinking about crocheting some pillows for the back of the chairs. I did a little tester swatch to see if I remembered any crochet. I can make a square but I want to make a circle. Circles are hard for me because I lose my place so easily with crochet.

16 thoughts on “what’s pippi reading?

1. Kathleen says:

Hi !
    i use a safety pin ALL THE TIME to mark where i ended off when i crochet circle. It makes all the difference in the world, & now i can’t stop crocheting circles.
    Cute !

2. Marisa says:

Have you tried crochet in the round to make a circle? I’m a knitter, not a hooker, but I learned this skill to make amigurumi and I use it ALL THE TIME. It’s a bit tricksy at first, but once you get the hang of it, it’s the only technique I’d ever consider using to make circles. It’s been a few years, but I think this is the tutorial I learned from: http://www.crochetme.com/forums/t/28917.aspx

3. My 1st Bambina ! says:

The Book Club Stitchette is cute! Reading a good book in bed is the best!
    Looking forward to this set!
    To keep track of crocheting in the round and/or spiral I use a contrasting piece of yarn as a stitch marker, long enough for the size of circle/spiral in the making.

4. Seanna Lea says:

Very cute!
    I find crochet much harder to read than my knitting. I am sure it is a matter of practice, but it feels so hard to figure out where the start of a round is!

5. Leila says:

When I crochet a circle, I just crochet hdc’s on the first round, go up and over the bump where round should start for the next round, and then just go. I don’t bother with rounds at all, if that makes any sense. It’s just around and around and around. I hope that helps!

6. Michelle W says:

Yes, a safety pin is your BFF when crocheting in the round. Also, get on the ‘magic circle’ ride…its so much better to start a round that way. Better looking and easy. Enjoy!!

7. mandi@herbanhomestead says:

Can you just stop with all the awesomeness!?! Because I love your kitchen gnomes and your book stitchettes. Not to mention I just bought your book and have been busy stitching away! How am I going to find time (or money) to make all of your lovelies???
    I really stopped in to thank you for your Katie Kitty pattern. I made her for my daughter’s bday today and she LOVES her. It was such a fun, satisfying project, what with the machine work and the hand work. She has named her Jenny, after Jenny Lensky of course.

8. Becky says:

I agree with the recommendation of Lucy at Attic24 — great patterns! (Just remember that she is in the UK, so the terminology is different.) However, I also recommend the book “Kids Crochet” by Kelli Ronci. I am a pretty advanced crocheter and knitter, but I still go back to her book for the instructions on how to crochet a circle. The illos are by Lena Corwin, and they are fab. It’s a great book — great instructions and lots of really nice, contemporary projects. I recommend it as a how-to book for all crocheters — kids AND adults!! (Oh, and I just remembered that there are some circular pillows in the book — I think they’re pictured on the cover!)
    Can’t wait to see what you end up with!