puttering and muttering

Phoebe has entered this stage where she doesn't stop talking. Ever. So when she's gone to preschool, if I don't run errands, I get an eerily quiet couple hours.

But seems I've picked up the need for constant chatter. I'm talking to myself non-stop in her absence. (muttering) Also seems my brain can no longer focus if half of it isn't occupied responding to the 3yo's whims. So I'm getting nowhere, fast. (puttering)

I should make these slipcovers so I can switch them out but I bet you twenty bucks I'll be too lazy to sew in a zipper

Well, that doesn't match at all.

That's too boring for the bamboo swivel chair.

I don't have enough of any of these fabrics to make 2 cushions anyway.

Alright, off to make heart shaped cake pops. I'm hooked on the pop.

26 thoughts on “puttering and muttering

1. Seanna Lea says:

I think I would go mad if I heard chatter all day long. Even when I am working on one of those boring projects I need to spend a fair amount of time sans iPod, because it starts to make my head hurt.
    I am completely enthralled with your fabric collection. It is gorgeous!

2. kirsten says:

I like the first one, third one, and last one best. (the third one kinda does match your books behind it). but i think i like the first one best of all.
    when (those rare moments) all of my chatterboxes are out of the house it is SO quiet! weird.

3. Lea says:

This made me laugh! I have a three-and-a-half-year old (who’s thankfully taking a rare nap right now) and I know exactly what you’re talking about. And I never connected the two but my mental notes have become audible as of late, too. I absolutely buy your explanation for the phenomenon.

4. Kristena says:

I just really appreciate this post. So much. I can’t keep up with my preschoolers. They talk nonstop too, and I just don’t know what to say back.
    I like the last fabric a lot. :)

5. Buff says:

Not enough of any one fabric for 2 pillows? Use 2 fabrics, 1 on each side of each pillow and they’ll be reversible – I vote for #1 combined with #5.

6. Necha says:

Hi, you don’t know me, but I follow your blog. :) I’ve never responded before. I just wanted to vote for the top one, but I don’t know if that is just because I am seeing it match the picture above it and the pillow or blanket in the wooden shelf next it it, or if I just love the color. :) Anyway! Thought I would vote!! I love your blog. Feel free to check out my blog to see who I am. http://www.joshandnecha.blogspot.com

7. Nicole says:

I adore little kids and welcome the chance to babysit them/teach them to curse (kidding! kidding! … sort of!) but the lack of readily-available silence is one of the many reasons I’ll just borrow other people’s instead of having my own.
    While lamenting to my boyfriend last week that I will never have a little girl to dress up in cute things (his sister just got married and I’m holding out hope that she has a girl I can spoil when she isn’t looking), he made the observation that I apparently want to skip parenthood and graduate straight to grandma.
    Yesssss. I never realized it before but that’s exactly it!
    I second the above comment that the first fabric choice looks smashing there. But zippers are a pain, yes.

8. Jenn says:

So glad to see the second one “in person” or in context anyway; I was contemplating ordering it for a tunic top for me! And I totally sympathize with the non-stop chatter. I have a toddler, and I find myself talking to myself to fill in the need for noise while she naps; especially while I sew! I think the last is my favorite for the slip covers. What is it?

9. Susanne says:

I’m right there with you… I have a four-year-old. From the moment he gets up until his head hits the pillow at night he is filling the space with words. Yet somehow during preschool I call my friends and fill the space…. quiet seems too different.
    I love all of the floral fabrics.

10. Emmmylizzzy says:

The last one is my favorite.
    My Phoebe is currently in the stage where she babbles all the time, but you can only recognize every 5th or 6th word. I find myself interjecting “do-dee-doh-blee-baa” into conversations.

11. Sharon says:

haha I though that just happened in my house. My just turned 3yr old daughter Willow chats non-stop, from the moment she opens her eyes to the moment she closes them. She even chats to her toys whilst in bed.
    I’d also like to let you know that I’ve made her Olive and Tag Along Dolly and she just adores them. Thank you for making such cute patterns for dolls.

12. Erin says:

Last fabric- definitely. My son is four and a half and he still indulges in incessant chatter- at certain times, but sometimes just lays on the floor quietly making his lego men talk. I’ve more or less given up listening to the radio- I can’t concentrate enough to absorb what I’m listening to!