cake pop trial

I'm thinking of making these for Oscar's class for the Valentine's Day party. They came out okay. Dipping them was hard! I had them in a freezer for about half an hour before I started and still if I dipped them in my melted candy they wanted to fall off the stick. I had to pour the coating over them while I spun them. And my candy coating is really thick. Oscar had a hard time taking the first bite. He thinks we should pre-bite them for the kids. That'd go over well!

21 thoughts on “cake pop trial

1. Kristi says:

I tried them before and had the hardest time too. After I finally got them dipped and set out to harden, the balls started sliding down the sticks. The sad part was that I didn’t even do a trial. Lesson learned there.
    Hope you can get them done!
    ~ Kristi

2. Jannette says:

If you add a little shortening to your candy coating it will thin it out a bit. (It won’t change the flavor of it.) They look yummy!

3. j. says:

I gave up on the sticks, just made “cake balls”. Easier and nothing for the kids to throw away. Of course, it’s a little too easy to eat them, know what I mean?

4. Stacy says:

It’s good to know about the cake pops, I haven’t made them yet, but have thought about it. Maybe there’s a good how to out there with some tips and suggestions (like youtube or instructables?)?

5. Ashley says:

There is a little video on Amazon with Bakerella’s cake pop book that gives some tips. I haven’t tried to make them yet, but I think the tips will be helpful.

6. JCasa *handmade says:

how fun! we’ve made the snowmen for the girls’ birthday – i’d suggest only using 1/2 tub of frosting (you can always add more) and leaving them in the freezer for several hours – they won’t harden completely, but will stay on the sticks better. (we left the undipped cakeballs in the freezer for a few weeks for use later and they worked out great, too!)
    enjoy your research!

7. Ceri says:

I also had problems with candy coating being too thick. I had to sort of dab it on with a knife. It actually made for a lovely ‘rustic’ look, lol. I had much better results with melted white chocolate. Tasted better too.

8. Kristin says:

Try adding a little more frosting to your cake batter. It should shape a little more easily and hold together better. Cake doesn’t freeze well but frosting does. Also I kept my cake pops in the freezer and only took out the ones I was dipping so they wouldn’t melt while awaiting their dip. Good luck. I had so much fun making the chick pops and will be making the Elmo pops this year.

9. Amy says:

Those look great! I made peppermint cake balls for christmas and that was hard enough haha. Very messy but so yummy. Maybe one day I will get around to making some cake pops and I will be doing a trial run first 😉

10. Samantha says:

I’m sure Bakerella would help with some trouble shooting if you emailed her. But I agree with the advice to thin your coating some more. You don’t want it to be that thick that it is hard to bite through. Thin it down and it will coat easier and bite easier. Cake pops are so cute!

11. Laura says:

When I made them I used vanilla almond bark. I’ve never used candy to coat them. I had to get just the right consistency and it was difficult. Half were too thick and half were in need of a second dip. I think this is something you just have to practice over and over before you can get it just right.

12. Kristy says:

I think they look swell! I love making these, they’re a favorite with my littles; though it took quite a few times to get it right. Freezing them for about an hour seemed to work for me. I also found that if i dipped the stick in the melted chocolate first, then into the cake ball, then into the freezer… they seemed to be a bit more secure. My only constant issue is how to pack them for travel, i always have a handful that break off the stick… boo =( But man o man are they yummy and oh so worth it! Cheers!

13. Amanda says:

i had found that if you dip a little of the melted choc. (or color candy) onto the stick and stick it into the cake ball, then freeze them, the candy will harden to the stick and the cake ball. Makes it SO much easier to dip!

14. Libbey says:

Are you using white chocolate? I would recomend that thinned with some butter or shortening. You could also try royal icing like you use for cookies. It will harden but hopfully not too much to bite through. Good luck

15. Lacey says:

My sister and I tried to make them for my daughter’s last birthday & we had to scratch the project–they just did not turn out! We ate them as bon bons instead…

16. Seanna Lea says:

It helps if the candy coating is as loose and runny (aka warm) as you can make it. I also had good luck with dipping the stick into the candy coating and then inserting it into the ball (I think this might have been one of her tips). I need to make these again!

17. Jennifer says:

Hee hee! We’re making cake pops today. In Bakerella’s fabulous book Cake Pops, she said to mix 3/4 can of icing with an entire 9×13 cake. Then freeze or chill (depending on how fast you want them), then dip the sticks in the candy coating, then the sticks into the balls.
    We haven’t gotten to this point yet, but sounds good!
    Check your library, they may have a copy of this book; that’s where I picked up my copy!
    Enjoy!