America’s Doll House

Every once in a while Princeton Architectural Press will send me a book — I guess when the subject matter cross references with craft blogs — and they're always amazing. I love miniatures and collection and obsessive crazy lifelong hobbies so it's no surprise that I sat down immediately and read the story of Faith Bradford and her work for the Smithsonian in this book, America's Doll House: The Miniature World of Faith Bradford

51-Zw7wPvuL._SS400_

It's never quite as awe inspiring seeing close up photographs of doll houses as it is seeing them in person but I love the opportunity to sit and pore over all the tiny details of the rooms. And the photographs are so beautiful in this book. I especially love the fabric swatches of house furnishings section. 41PlFfrB1rL._SS400_

41WX05W3PoL._SS400_

51UPtTdlY2L._SS400_

I just can't wait for Phoebe to become obsessed with teeny tiny things! I would so love to furnish a doll house with her.

17 thoughts on “America’s Doll House

1. BrassyDel says:

Oh, oh, oh! That is just so lovely. I have a dollhouse kit just waiting for me to put it together (you know, the unfinished balsa wood kind? Not some kind of full kit that comes with furnishings or paint or anything). I can’t find a place to PUT the darn thing, hence it’s long wait. Finding a workplace solution for it may have to get bumped up on my priority list. Dollhouses and miniatures are just too darn awe-inspiring!

2. Sarah Jackson says:

love it! I have a gorgeous dollhouse that we’re going to start redoing and furnishing this year. I have to keep it out of baby Kit’s clutches for a while, but it should be ready to go when she’s old enough to use it.

3. Valerie says:

The American History Museum is always so overwhelming, especially since I visit with a group (ie my little ones and man) and therefore great conflicts of interest. Next time I’ll have to MAKE SURE we find this dollhouse.

4. Audra says:

Wonderful! I was going to meet some relatives this summer. I was gunning for NYC over DC, but this is making me change my mind. I want to go to the Smithsonian and see this live. I was really excited when you said that you were going to share some books with us and this did not disappoint.

5. Heather C says:

I love poring over the little details in the pictures, too. And I want the kitchen. Full sized. Thanks for sharing!

6. shandy says:

love it! We have a plain wooden doll house and I am debating about doing it up all fun and funky like Charlie and Lola….

7. sweetbo says:

I used to make my own doll houses out of paper boxes and glued on “carpet” using old fabric scraps and stuff. Never got the real thing, but I eventually got into Sims which I played as an excuse to decorate rooms more than anything. I have to admit that when I saw the book cover I immediately thought “real life Sims!”

8. Janelle says:

I “pink fuzzy heart” tiny toys (never got to have any when I was little). Unfortunately, I can’t keep track of them, or help my girls, because the little boys in our house outnumber the girls & they tend to wreck havoc on those same tiny toy sets. sigh…Maybe some day there will be a girls only house of granddaughters!

9. Ms. Smoochy says:

You mean to tell me dolls live in these rooms? That’s wild. Such accuracy and detail. Never a doll-girl when I was small, yet suddenly find myself enamored by them as an adult. Things like this only encourage it.

10. Amanda May says:

oh my, that book looks incredible. I have very fond memories of the Thorne Rooms at the Art Institute in Chicago, such intricate craftsmanship and amazing attention to detail!