weekend update

Okay October. Why are you so busy? This weekend went by in a blur! I need to squeeze an extra week into this month. We hit the pumpkin patch and got our cute-kids-with-pumpkins-photos for the year so I'm relieved about that. We're afraid to actually put them outside. Our squirrels are crazy this year. They're sitting out there rubbing their little hands together just waiting. What are you supposed to do? Rub the pumpkins with something gross right? I have some googling to do.

We hit a lego show and book sale, 2 of our favorite activities. Here's some of our loot. Can you guess which pile is mine and which is Oscar's? I'll post some pics from my finds later today on flickr.

I also found 2 new Heidi stories for my growing collection of Heidi books for Phoebe. Ha, anyone remember how I was going to do a Heidi theme for Phoebe's room? In the end I just couldn't figure out how to do a theme and still have all her stuff. I haven't given up on the idea though. She does have one blank wall left so maybe something cute and Heidi will end up there.

While I'm in her room… we bought her this duvet cover at Ikea. I love it but I think I'd love it more faded a few shades. It's reeeeally bright. Does bleaching work for fading? Or, there's RIT fade stuff right? More googling for me to do.

The tooth fairy has seen a lot of action this month. All Oscar wants for Christmas is his two front teeth. And General Grevious' star fighter of course. Want a fright? the toothless ninja

17 thoughts on “weekend update

1. Lise says:

Ooh, your book heap looks good! I went to a fabulous book sale this week, too, and still need to post about all the great vintage goodies I found (for a sad, sad reason–several schools closed, sending all their great library books to this sale.)

2. Sarah says:

I didn’t know you had a collection going of ‘Heidi’ for your daughter. My daughter’s name is Heidi and I’m collecting Heidi books for her and her room as well! Fabulous!

3. Sarah says:

Because I was curious (and had never heard of it), I googled Rit Fast Fade and it is discontinued. This page has some other suggestions:
    which include rit color remover. I wonder if that would really work? I have used the color remover when we have had a red laundry item disaster, but never to try and fade anything.
    (Someone who is quite clever has done some chemistry work and offers an alternative in the form of Sunlight dish detergent on that page also.)
    I will be interested in seeing if it works if you try it!

4. kristin says:

i hate to bum you out, but did you know that this October has 5 Fridays, 5 Saturdays and 5 Sundays — all in one month! It only happens every 823 years!
    it’s almost like an extra week…right?

5. Sarah says:

Don’t know if you looked up keeping small rodents of the pumpkins yet, but this worked for us last year…
    1. Wipe down with a clorox wipe or bleach (kills that decomposing bacteria)
    2. Carve if you are going to…
    3. Find cheap hair spray and spray the crap out of it… Give the pumpkin a nice shine and keeps those darn rodents away. Suave, white rain, aqua net. You know the kind.

6. bayleesan@gmail.com says:

Double Oxyclean soak with hot water, seems to make everything fugitive. You might want to reset the color after the fact with synthropol.

7. Amanda Z. says:

I would love to know a squirrel vs. pumpkin solution if you find one. We have tried cayenne pepper and hairspray but neither worked. They eat clean through the pumpkin! Last couple years we have kept the pumpkins inside until trick or treat time.