kids clothes week challenge

Are you guys doing Meg's Kids Clothes Week Challenge?! I'm very excited! I need the kick in the pants to get motivated. I'm only sewing for Phoebe. Oscar's 6 year old boys clothes are too much of a challenge for me. Even Phoebe's proving to be a challenge. Here's her life – preschool (they ask for casual clothes), gymnastics, sports class, lounging about at home. Not really a dressy girl lifestyle. I have this stack of knits that I want to dig into. But I also really want to make her things like this and this. They're not even that fancy but I worry that she'll never wear them.

19 thoughts on “kids clothes week challenge

1. Becky says:

It’s funny, I was just out looking for jeans for my daughter (only 2 yrs old) and I was thinking the same thing. I rarely ever put her in dresses. And yet I’m always drawn towards buying or making them! At least with leggings being popular now that makes them a bit more casual.
    i have to check out this clothes week challenge….

2. Tonya says:

I really recommend the bandanna dress thingy. I make a similar looking dress/nightgown/shirt for my daughter with the shirring at the neck, sleeves, and just above the waist. No ruffle at the bottom, but its cute, so I may add that next time. Its exactly the same front and back, so there is never any confusion for her putting it on. Its super comfortable for her and very versatile.
    I’ll think about the challenge. I’ve already done a bit of back to school sewing, but there is always more that can be done. Thanks for the link!

3. Lise says:

As a preschool teacher who wants kids to come dressed to play hard and get messy–and a mom who loves to dress her daughter in adorable dresses–I say make the cute dresses and pair them with leggings and comfy shoes (and be ready for them to get filthy, and keep lots of Oxyclean on hand for pre-wash soaks). Then it’s both casual and cute–perfect for preschool play.

4. Jacqui says:

I’m doing it too!
    As for making clothes they want to wear – it’s a total gamble. I have failures hanging in her closet that I regularly suggest with a hopeful air (probably the kiss of death really) that are always rejected. Sometimes she comes around to them, sometimes she doesn’t. The only thing I’ve found that increases my chances is involving her in the choosing of fabric and pattern (with limits) and going as girly/frilly as I can stomach. And I second the whole leggings thing, it makes skirts and dresses much more practical and I dread them going out of fashion! Love the Tea collection dresses but I can see why you’re worried. I’d be worried too. But it’s just so unpredictable what they’ll like and what they won’t that I say go for it and enjoy the process even if the outcome isn’t assured.

5. Becky says:

My daughter wore some dressy dresses to school – and I was prepared for them to get destroyed. It’s what clothes are for. She’s 8 and still has a tendancy to dress like that.

6. anna says:

love the plaid dress especially. I can’t wait to join in on the challenge. I used to have a hard time convincing my oldest to wear stuff I make, but she’s turned a new leaf!

7. Samantha says:

I think it is better to put them in the cute dresses and expect the stains than to never have them in the cute stuff at all. Little girls should look like little girls, messes included. :-) And if the teacher questions you, just let her know that these are play clothes and you won’t worry at all if she comes home with paint all over her or whatever. My older daughter wore nothing but dresses for her first 5 years. Pants were hard to fit and she looked cuter in dresses and bloomers or leggings anyway. So go for it! :-)

8. Elizabeth says:

Man, I love that catalogue – My 11 year old begged for clothing from there but she is just outside their size range. I say buy it and let her wear it to preschool and where ever. I always let Isabella do that, even though it was nothing but dresses for the first 5 years of her life. It was fine.

9. Lynn Harris says:

My daughter (5) is a dress girl. She wears them to school every day. Even gym. She likes twirly dresses and tights. I just let her wear them. If they get dirty it is OK with me. She will out grown everything too soon anyway.

10. jodi says:

Another preschool teacher here. As long as my parents don’t get upset about the stains on their children’s clothes (we do wear smocks but. . .) I don’t care what they wear. (We make a concious effort on photo days not to do anything messy.) Your daughter’s school may say that just to protect themselves from grief from parents. Send her in what you and she want.

11. Liz says:

I always made little dresses for my daughter that she wore ro preschool. I just put leggings or cable knit tights underneath so they were fine.