stick it on the sticky side

Phoebe took the cutest little toddler class this Spring — play with toys, storytime, ring around the rosie, wheels on the bus, etc — but the highlight were the super fun crafts the teacher came up with for the kids each week. This was the last project and I thought it was just so clever I had to share. She cut a butterfly outline out of cardstock and glued it onto clear contact paper. The kids were given cut out shapes of tissue paper and they peeled the backing off and stuck them to the sticky side of the contact paper. It has such a fun, pretty, stained glass effect going. It had a string to hang it but Phoebe left enough of the sticky side uncovered that we could just stick it right to her window. She loves it!! My friend and I thought it'd be a great quick art project for a class party. Stick that one in your party folder. You know you have one.

13 thoughts on “stick it on the sticky side

1. Melody says:

This is my all-time favorite toddler art project… You can make the outline of anything! and change the color of the papers inside… we always do shamrocks at St Patricks day but we’ve done just about every shape. Love contact paper art!

2. Christine says:

Thanks for sharing. Printed and in my folder already. Going to dig out the contact paper and do this afternoon!!!

3. UK lass in US says:

I did this for halloween (they stick the face on first, then the orange for the rest of the pumpkin) and Easter, but always put another sheet of contact paper on the back. I wish I had thought to stick it straight to the window.

4. Jenni says:

Yes! So fun! My girls did a rain drop – so just the contact paper, actually. Then they loaded the contact paper with pits of tissue paper and voila! instant sun catcher.

5. Darci says:

Ok…I am struggling here…does the sun shine through the contact paper when it is stuck to cardstock? So silly that I am not getting this because I love how it looks and think it would make a great greeting card. Just need to understand its production

6. Felicity says:

Thank you for this idea, it’s going straight into my ‘project folder’. I made a huge number of tissue paper peonies for a recent birthday party and have a mountain of little scraps left in a jar and now I know what to do with them. x F