not so fast buddy

I’m relatively new to gardening. We started
the first garden I’ve ever had when we moved into this house three
years ago. It’s crazy how much there is to learn about gardening. The
first two years we spent buying, planting and then yanking out.. over
and over and over. This year things came in well and looked pretty so we haven’t
yanked anything. Now what I’m trying to figure out is how to keep
things in check. I’ve got plants growing out of control, completely
covering other plants, going places they’re not supposed to, etc. It
doesn’t grow evenly does it? So now I’m trying to figure out how to get
everyone on the same page. It’s the first year back for this cinquefoil
and good gravy that thing can grow!

It was crazy nuts all over our poor
tiny yews that won’t budge and it was just a wild mess. I think we
thought it was a ground cover? Not so much! So I chopped it. I was
hesitant to do it because the flowers are so pretty but they look
lovely on the table, and now the garden is looking much tidier.

And look, it even matches Phoebe’s cutie outfit!

8 thoughts on “not so fast buddy

1. Rachel says:

I’m totally with you. This week I totally cut back a bunch of ground cover. It felt wrong to hack away at a growing plant when I worked so hard to make it grow. But in the end it looks SO much better.

2. jeannine says:

We have had very similar gardening experiences. The disasters can be so heart-breaking. Planting a seed and watching it die isn’t for me. And I don’t care much for weed pulling either.
    :O)
    We do have an enormous hydrangea which I never know when (or how much) to trim or when to let be. And still I love it, and I try planting new things ever year. I’m rambling…

3. Katherine says:

Unfortunately and fortunately gardening doesn’t ever standstill. Unlike those craftier projects by the sewing table the garden is always changing and consequently always needing nuturing and love. A third child.

4. UK lass in US says:

Things either seem to wilt and limp along or grow like crazy here in California. I try to only buy plants that don’t spread much widthwise these days, after losing the fight to control some African Daisies…

5. jam says:

Your Cinquefoil are beautiful. If I didn’t know better I’d say you purposely planted the cinquefoil to match Phoebe’s dress, or bought the dress ….. you know.

6. JenBallot says:

Thanks for this post! I used to have that flower in my garden, but it eventually died out, and now I can’t find it anywhere. Plus, I’d forgotten the name of it, too — d’oh! That color is exceptional – a true scarlet. Thanks again!