to keep the goldfish safe and warm

snack bag, trial number one. I've always been sidelined from making these by the whole good plastic/bad plastic debate. after consulting with experts I decided to just skip plastic altogether and go with all cotton. not wipeable but easy to throw in the wash.

and can we get a close up on that glitter… I love this fabric! I'll try to remember where I got it.

41 thoughts on “to keep the goldfish safe and warm

1. laeroport/lori says:

I have been thinking about making snack bags/wraps with the bag that comes in the box of cereal for lining… I figure, it’s already been exposed to food…
    One of those ideas on my never-ending list of stuff to make one day.
    The glitter is perfect. :)

2. Catherine says:

I have been trying to think of different ways of making these also and think this idea of a bunch of cotton ones that you can wash is probably the best. Love that fabric!

3. Sarah says:

I love that fabric! So adorable!
    I think cotton is the way to go…easier to figure out, easier to find, and still plenty easy to wash. I tried some snack bags awhile back, but I keep having velcro issues (cheap velcro I guess, because it keeps tearing apart). But this is inspiring me to try again (with some new, better velcro!).

4. Jenny says:

I have a ton of snack bags, but I find drawstring works best for me. It gives the kiddos something to hang onto, and it’s a little easier to get into than velcro. I find that trying to get into velcro often creates that equal-and-opposite-reaction thing that sends goldfish flying!
    I use just cotton and toss them in the wash. I keep about 5 or 6 around at all times! The one drawback–things don’t keep over time very well. Trying to think of a solution to that!

5. Sara says:

I can’t tell from the picture but does this seal? If so what is it called/where to find it?
    I’ve been thinking about this–I just got sewing green and she has some projects in this vein, but she uses some sort of plastic type fabric (not laminated cotton or oilcloth–something I haven’t heard of before and which name I have forgotten now).

6. Carabeth says:

If I may make a suggestion for another simple solution to the seal; my friend and I have found that a simple fold-over works very well, like the old sandwich bags. If a sandwich is on the sloppy side, (tuna) I wrap it in waxed paper first.

7. Wendy says:

I’m loving the colors on your blog lately; today’s fabric takes the cake. I think I’m going to opt for cotton rather than plastic, too when I finally get around to making some snack bags.

8. Andrea says:

I bought some at a craft sale, and they are lined with rip-stop nylon, which is supposed to be food safe. I still use wax paper in the sandwich ones if the sandwiches are particularly messy, that can be composted in my town’s green bin service.

9. Kayte says:

I have done several in plain cotton but also a few with a PUL lining(like in cloth diapers). SO you can throw in freshly washed grapes or blueberries and not worry about the bag getting wet.
    While PUL is laminated on the back with a plastic derivative, it is considered to be pretty safe.
    And to the earlier commenter, oilcloth is not with PVC, not at all earth friendly or particularly food safe.
    There are a few manufacturers who make sandwich wraps and bags with PEVA sandwiched between the fabric layers.
    Hillary– I added little tabs in the middle of each side. It helps my 3yo open the velcro easier–giving her something to pull.

10. Kayte says:

I forget to mention that the PUL is not wipeable, since you mention that in your post. It’s fabric on the side touching the food, it just make it waterproof.

11. sue says:

I was just looking online for some snack bags, fabric ones of course and they cost nearly $12 each. Yours look great so maybe I can make some over the weekend for my daughter. I dont think my son even eats snacks apart from apples!

12. posie patchwork says:

GREAT IDEA!! I don’t do plastic bags for school lunches (x 4 children) as it’s such a waste & disguarded plastic in the playground is revolting. I use small lunch boxes, for recess, fruit is solo & then another one for lunch. Do love this idea though, so gorgeous & washable, perfect!! Love Posie

13. Nancy says:

love this fabric. please do let us know if you remember..
    i’ve been wanting to make some of these forever
    so, i am glad to read about all the different ways and what works before i dive in

14. Kathleen says:

I went with cloth as well, but I used an unbleached muslin for a lining. It helps to have that second layer if the contents are a little oily, like those little Trader Joe’s peanut butter crackers. I wanted to avoid figuring out the plastic thing too, plus I just like to be able to throw things in the washing machine. After dealing with oilcloth bibs when my daughters were babies, I learned that wiping things clean doesn’t really get them so clean after a few months. I used french seams on the side so there aren’t any exposed edges on the inside. And the velcro I bought was the softer to the touch kind. I forget what it is called, but I found it at JoAnn.

15. Jenny says:

I’m loving this! I am definitely going to have to make a few of these for my children and myself. It will be so nice to have some snack bags that are reuseable. I love the velcro closure too.

16. Kym says:

Such a cute little baggy! We currently use lidded containers for snacks, but then have to cart them around once the snack is gone. Little bags sound like a better idea.
    A suggestion I’ve seen for a plastic lining is to cut up a ziplock bag, which is designed to be food safe. I’m yet to put it to the test though.

17. Karen says:

I understand why no plastic, but fabric with glitter for containing food? What is the glitter made of? will it some off onto the food?
    And may I remind another poster that nylon is plastic.
    They are really cute, though (as are all your projects), and I would love to cut down on the plastic consumption.

18. UK lass in US says:

Sweet. I’ve just been using lidded boxes for the kids’ lunches, but I wanted to make a bag to put those in. Only problem is that it gets so hot around here in the summer, I’m thinking that the bags really need to be insulated.

19. Jennifer says:

Those are PRECIOUS and very clever! I have been looking today about trying to venture into the world of making some of these. I lack 1)the knowledge and 2)the skill. Have sewing machine. Will try. :) Any pointers, oh wise one??

20. Jeanelle says:

Jennifer they are very easy! If you can sew a straight line you can do it! There are also lots of good inexpensive pdf’s on etsy.

21. y.t. lou designs says:

Love the fabric – and the idea. A friend actually commissioned me to make a bunch of these for her to give as gifts at Christmas time…They are great, but I really need to make some for myself now.