23 thoughts on “what do kindergarteners down south draw?

1. karen says:

Southern kindergarteners still draw snowmen. My two year old is fascinated by snow, ice skating, igloos, etc. “Snow is cold” he tells people, while making snow people in his sandbox.

2. Jessie B. says:

Yes, I agree. California kids draw the same thing too. And to this day I’m always slightly disappointed on Christmas because it never fails to be an extra-mild day in San Francisco. A big part of my childhood Christmases was going to get a tree at the crack of dawn so that it was cold enough that we could wear parkas and drink cocoa afterwards!

3. Anne says:

Down here in Arkansas my daughter has been drawing snowmen and snowflakes – despite the fact that we haven’t seen a real snow (1/2″ accumulation or more) in several years. A girl can dream, can’t she?

4. Jenny says:

If you’re prepared to count Australia as ‘down south’ then I’ll tell you what my kids are painting at the moment….rainbows, trees and flowers.

5. sheryl says:

Another Aussie mum here..my kids are drawing houses, pictures from beach holidays and their latest crazes ie Lego men, bionicles, Bakugans etc
    But definitely no snow men!

6. PixieShtick says:

Yup, my California kids are very curious about snow, but they know what paper snowmen are. Around here it looks like your Autumn. Been playing in piles of leaves this week.

7. Aleta says:

It’s great to see how many Aussie fans you have. And I’m another. :-]
    My kids are still drawing us as a family – eating ice-creams, or in the country gardening (we live in the city and they are trying to talk me into moving I think) and lots of pictures of Santa with his sleigh and reindeer. They like all those presents he carries around…

8. Adrienne says:

My kids spent the majority of their lives so far living in the Caribbean. They drew snowmen too, but they were usually outlandish colors. They’ve seen snow now (although we still live south and the most they’ve seen is a half inch)so the snowmen are always white. I miss purple snowmen…..

9. Allison says:

thank you for that link! We have an extra day off preschool tomorrow, I just put fresh ink in the printer, and we’ve been on both Jan Brett AND coloring kicks around here lately. Perfect.

10. heather says:

in sunny california we also have the snowman. when my oldest was in preschool they were suppose to paint a snowman and glue on cut out hats and scarves. well it was a sunny day and my son painted his melted in a puddle on his paper. in his eyes how could a snowman last in the warm weather.

11. a. says:

yup, Kindergartners everywhere are born with a desire to draw snowy things in January. Just like they’re born knowing “jingle bells, batman smells, robin laid an egg”.

12. Tif says:

hahaha, we’re here in Texas and the kids come home with snowmen too! HOWEVER, i miss the northeast with a passion. it is almost a tease to hang their pretties depicting a winter wonderland!