no sun til wednesday

We've got nothing but clouds on the forecast for the next week! It's taking all I have to not break our no-spending rule and go out and buy one of those sun machines. I'm taking my vitamin D and have every light in the house on, thank god for electricity! But I'm still moping along here. Oscar and I made these crayon hearts yesterday to try to brighten the place up. We went a little nuts and made a whole rainbow but actually it's so gloomy out we might need more.

Let's call these the before photos. And then when the sun finally arrives and the lights shines through them it'll be so bright and pretty and I'll take some after photos.

This is a super fun project. Oscar loved it. Two things, be prepared to trash your pencil sharpener by gumming it up with crayons and also make sure you follow Martha's advice on protecting your ironing board with kraft paper.

22 thoughts on “no sun til wednesday

1. Amy says:

So glad you blogged about this, as my 3 year old and I are planning on doing this project this weekend. Will be sure to take your advice on the ironing board protection. <3

2. lizandrsn says:

Ummm, hate to be a buzz kill (they still say that, right?( but won’t all your pretties melt in the returning sunshine, too? I’d hate to see all that loveliness in a puddle on the window sill.
    Always have a Plan B!

3. Kristine says:

Always a fun project! I have a different method since I grew tired of cleaning up (scraping off) crayon wax off everything. I use our non-stick griddle and whole, unwrapped crayons. Place a sheet of wax paper onto the griddle and draw on paper until crayon melts. Keep the flame low, it’s enough to melt the wax. When you are finished drawing simply cover melted crayon with another sheet of wax paper.

4. Elizabeth says:

Very cute. :) Does the Vitamin D really help? I am dying from lack of sun here in MI, too. Actually looked at sun machine prices and figured I may as well buy a ticket to FL….

5. Audra Costello says:

I love the bright rainbow on your window. As far as the sun lamps go, I was told that insurance pays for them sometimes. I still have to get motivated enough to call them and ask about this, but as someone who has ALOT of trouble with gloomy weather I found this encouraging.

6. Denise Leavens says:

You are so not alone in the sunlight deprivation area. I crave sunlight. A cheer goes up whenever a ray of pure sunlight peeks out from the gloom. Here in the Pacific Northwest most toddlers say “white” when asked what color the sky is. Hang in there and more power to colorful window decorations!

7. Miaou says:

oh these are delightful! What a great idea to brighten up the room. I live in the far north of Scotland so we haven’t much sunlight at this time of year, so I empathise totally with your desire for the sun :o)

8. Yuliya Khodos says:

Hi Hillary,
    I love your hearts! So bright and cheery. I have a question. How did you attached them to windows? I don’t see any tape in the picture, so I am curious, how did you do it? Love it.
    Yuliya

9. Lynn says:

Cute little hearts. I so understand the lack of sunlight. We haven’t had sun here in ages either. I have 2 SAD lights…large and small. Small one sets right here on my desk and is on all the time. I will have to try the Vitamin D. :)

10. Heather says:

I am a native Oregonian and I held off buying a happy light for years. This year I finally bought one because I just didn’t want to have another Winter like last year. It doesn’t make all the SAD go away, but it sure helps take the edge off. I would encourage a happy light purchase. Mine is a Phillips Britelite 6 and it sits next to my computer monitor. Every morning I sit down for 30 minutes, read email, blog, etc. and then I am done for the day and feel better. It is a marvellous invention. I also take my vitamin D like you do, and take a multivitamin as well. I need all the help I can get.

11. Emma says:

We are sharing your sunlight deprivation over here in the UK… it’s done nothing but snow or rain all January. I snuck outside at lunch today to walk through the city because the sun looked like it might stick it’s head out… nah, straight back in again! Sending sunny thoughts… I am threatening to invade Australia .. anywhere hot, sunny and speaks English 😉

12. Jacqui says:

Thanks for the great idea, my daughter and I made a whole bunch and they look lovely in the windows with the sun behind them. We’re in the middle of summer right now so no issues with a lack of sunshine, but perhaps I’ll pull them out mid-winter again for a bit of a mood brightener! I strung mine together with the sewing machine, just sewed through each one with a space inbetween with just thread. I couldn’t face tying each on up individually like they did at MSL!