felting for my baby

Yay! Guess what I found in my basement yesterday. My starter needle felting kit that I've had for gosh, 3 or 4 years now and still haven't had a chance to really try out. I was sent a review copy of Felting for Baby by Make Good Books earlier this Fall and got very excited to finally figure out wet and needle felting. Felting for Baby is a Japanese craft book, in English! Makes all the difference, ha. I think I might actually get it now. I've just ordered wool to make a pair of green slippers like the pink ones on the cover for my little tinkerbell. So far I've got one pom made. I love these poms! Made like normal yarn poms– wrapped around cardboard, tied off in the center and trimmed into a ball — but these are made by wrapping wool roving instead of yarn. They're so dense and awesome! Hurry up mail… I want to make some slippers!

Any of you Chicago folks know anywhere in west suburbia to get wool roving in person?

19 thoughts on “felting for my baby

1. Jenna says:

I’ve actually found little bags of it at Joanns. Just some basic colors like pink, white, blue and green. At my store it was near the needle pointing supplies and they had the felting needles too. I think they were all Clover brand.

2. Shannon says:

Oh, H, why do you always have to add books to my wish list :) I’m a felting maniac, both wet and dry, and if you get into it, you have to start hitting at least one local-ish fiber festival a year, that way you can stock up like crazy (the kids like ti too since there are always tons and tons of cute critters to pet and play with – sheep,. goats, alpaca, rabbits…)

3. Jennifer Tyler says:

My parent’s own an alpaca farm….do you want some alpaca roving? It’s natural alpaca colors….black, brown, white. It’s amazing. I’m in Utah but would be happy to ship you some to try out. Let me know!

4. Kat Pasco says:

Hillary, you can get oodles of lovely roving in almost every color imaginable ( 1oz bags @$2.00) AND just about every Clover needle felting supply at Vogue Fabrics, Main street in Evanston…family owned, and I’ve been shopping there for ages. LOVE it!

5. sara jane says:

If you are out in Geneva, stop by The Fine Line in western St. Charles: http://www.fineline.org; Through Saturday is the members show and sale. I’m 85% certain the yarn shop has roving and I also think the yarn shop is having a sale during the members show and sale.

6. Wendy says:

Stitches N Stuffing has carried it in the past and they usually have a great selection of wool felt. Give them a call about the roving before you run over there though. I also heard that Have Ewe Any Wool in Elmhurst had it as well.