menu

Today's to-do list: figure out what I'm going to make for my contributions to Thanksgiving dinner. I signed up for a pie so I'd have an excuse to buy this book I've seen all over blogland, Rustic Fruit Desserts by Cory Shreiber and Julie Richardson. I'm deciding between apple blackberry pie, apple cranberry oat crumble, deep-dish winter fruit pie with walnut crumb. Leaning toward the crumble. I'm also doing a vegetable side dish (maybe this), cranberry relish (probably this) and some appetizers which I haven't nailed down yet but there will definitely be something wrapped in bacon. These are all new this year. Still searching for some new classics to update the core Thanksgiving fare we've been eating for, well, as long as I can remember.

Ok, off to make more turkeys. No school all week here. We've been to the library and the art store already today. Hopefully that'll hold us til tomorrow at least.

14 thoughts on “menu

1. It's a Hoot! says:

A winter fruit pie sounds delicious! I haven’t been asked to make anything for Thanksgiving dinner/dessert. YET. I’m really hoping someone needs something as I love baking for holidays!
    Good luck with your recipes!

2. annri says:

thanks for reminding me to request that book from the library; i heard from a friend that it was very good.
    i forgot to comment before that the autumn banner is really cute!

3. Annie H says:

You were talking of an appetizer including bacon. My friend made cherry wrapped bacon for one of our get togethers. They were a wonderful surprise. Everyone loved them. :-)

4. mamie says:

i clicked through to the cranberry relish and it sounds good but i thought i would share my go to…not for the faint though, it features ginger, jalapeno and lemon…
    zest one lemon, then chop 1 jalapeno, one piece of peeled ginger about the size of your thumb, one clove garlic and the lemon into fine dice, sweat all ingredients in a sauce pan until it all softens, add one bag cranberries and 1.5 cups of sugar (or less)(or more)(your cal) and bring to boil until cranberries pop a bit, then let cool.
    it is always a hit around here, but like i said, you have to like a kick. happy thanksgiving!

5. Becky C. says:

mamie – that sounds like a great recipe, I always find cranberry sauce to be one-note (tart!) and would love some kick to it to round it out.
    I’m loving seeing the posts this week, helping me get through the workweek, daydreaming about 4 whole days to finish some of my projects.
    And my vote is for the apple-blackberry pie, as blackberries are near and dear to my heart.

6. Hillary Lang says:

I made the apple blackberry pie and it was sort of a bust. Everyone thought the blackberries were too crunchy with their seeds. The apple cranberry crumble though – big hit!