christmas items at ikea that could not be resisted

ikea christmas, originally uploaded by Hillary Lang.

Oscar is lobbying hard to skip right to Christmas. He is not impressed with Thanksgiving crafts and decorations. We’re on the hunt for a big ceramic turkey. I thought that would get him in the mood. I had to explain over and over yesterday how if you put Christmas up too early it ruins the excitement. Not sure he’s buying it.

Anyone have any fun Thanksgiving kids crafts ideas? He’s thoroughly exhausted hand turkeys. Halloween with its ghosts and monsters is much more exciting I guess.

36 thoughts on “christmas items at ikea that could not be resisted

1. Morgan says:

We made some felt feather headbands- but eek- given all the recent uproar on the subject- I’m hesitant to suggest (oy oy oy)
    Scored some of that very same fun stuff from Ikea, too!
    xo

2. Tonya says:

We made turkeys out of pine cones and leaves. A modified version of these: http://www.marthastewart.com/good-things/pinecone-turkey?autonomy_kw=pinecone%20turkeys
    My kid is right onto Christmas, too, and Canadian Thanksgiving is in October, so I don’t even have that as a buffer. I let her put up a wreath in her room, and we took out her Christmas books, but that is ALL I am conceding, at least for a couple more weeks.
    Cute loot from Ikea! I may have to pay my local one a visit soon.

3. Tiffany Harvey says:

I’m with Oscar too! (Though, my birthday is right around Thanksgiving, so we can stop by there first)
    I think anything with fall leaves, ears of corn, or maybe even just some acorns & other fall things could gives some crafting inspiration.

4. monica klepac says:

when i was a kid i remember making a mosaic of corn (all those cool dried corn colors, not just popcorn) and lots of cool colors of dried beans, as those were the foods native americans ate. i cant remember even what the picture was, but i loved all those colors together

5. It's a Hoot! says:

I have to say…I’m with Oscar. I’m SO excited for Christmas! If it weren’t for my hubby, our house would be all decked out. Only on the inside of course. I don’t want to look like the neighborhood crazy! 😉

6. Asha says:

I’m with you on not having any ideas. I went to Michaels, JoAnn’s and Party City yesterday searching for Thanksgiving crafts and they were scarce! I ended up buying confetti and stickers from Party city and turkey door hangers from Michaels. Not what I had in mind but something to pull out when the kids are bored. I will also print out Thanksgiving printable pages online. They love to glue things to paper (confetti). Last year we made indian headbands with colorful feathers but that was on Thanksgiving morning. Christmas on the other hand will be filled with lots of fun crafts! Can’t wait.

7. Denise Leavens says:

The most fun my kids had when about Oscar’s age was making a LARGE “Thankful tree”. I believe the large, floor to ceiling size is what caught their imagination. Take paper grocery bags (kraft paper) and crumple it up to resemble tree bark. Tape together for desired size, cut into tree shape and tape to door or wall. Cut out colorful leaves from construction paper. Put leaves, tape and pen in basket near tree. A leaf can only be be taped to tree branch if a written Thankful message is written on the leaf. Goal is to have tree full of leaves by Thanksgiving. Or have a pile of thankful leaves on ground around tree trunk.

8. Kate says:

I made a paper mâché turkey one year, using a balloon as the body, cardboard to make the neck & head. For many years it was the centerpiece, and it still plays a role in the thanksgiving decor 20+ years later.

9. delia says:

Thanksgiving crafts…
    1. two brown foam circles (head & body), 5 wooden popsicle sticks (paint each a different color) for tail feathers and of course googly eyes.
    2. grey/white heavy duty paper plate (small finish faster) and one bag of colored corn or torn bits of construction paper (blues,greens,yellows,reds). draw a wheel or picture (turkey, barn, etc.) and fill in with glued bits of paper or the colored corn.
    3. centerpiece with a flat basket as base…add a stuffed animal toy (turkey,cow,duck or whatever)to the center then surround it with little pumpkins, pine cones, dried leaves.
    4, bookmarkers or placecards made from felt with cut out fall color leaves tacked on with running stitches.
    5. egg carton turkeys and pumpkins used for tic’tac’toe playing pieces…
    6. construction paper woven placemats in orange and brown.
    That’s all i can remember. Hope it helps.
    delia from rb,ca

10. Rose says:

Every day my boy wakes up and asks me if it’s Thanksgiving. He asks this for two reasons:
    1) He wants the pumpkin pie
    2) He knows Christmas is after Thanksgiving, so the sooner it’s over, the sooner it’s Christmas.
    Lots of good crafty ideas in these comments here!

11. Lynn Harris says:

With Thanksgiving it’s more about the food. We always start baking lots of stuff right after Halloween.
    We dipped leaves in melted wax last week. My daughter enjoyed that.
    If you have some good hand turkey drawings you could make something like this…
    I made it years ago when my boys were small. Now the oldest is in college! It is fun to get out this reminder of when they were small. I need to make a potholder or something to go with it because I now have a four year old! She is not represented on this quilt.

12. thedoodlegirl says:

I know, Thanksgiving can be hard to decorate for. I have a lot of autumn leaf strands around my house. That’s cool that your hubby is so excited to decorate for Christmas, though! Even if it is a little early…:)

13. Hillary Lang says:

I was about to say I think we’re all nature walked out. I just cleared off the nature table for the season but… floating candles in walnut shells. We may need to go out again. That would be so fun!

14. Christy says:

How about creating some of the games that were probably played at the first Thanksgiving? There’s a thanksgiving Magic School Bus book that talks about it a bit – you could read the book and then make some games. Very active and fun!