the duck says mac mac

These three have been sitting on my work desk for about 2 months now. The pig and duck came together lickety split back was I was all gung-ho on make-a-long #2 The Farm Story. Mr. Sheep took me a little longer, because sheep are just trouble. All was going along fine until I got stuck on the outfits. Every day I'd look at them knowing exactly what I wanted to make but not wanting to construct tiny little clothes.

Then this past week inspiration struck and I realized the problem was the sewing machine. I didn't want to deal with it. So I decided these stinkers wanted to be hand-sewing projects. So I put them in my shrink-o-mater and here's Mr. Duck.

Coming in at a cute 8" tall, hand sewn from wool and wool felt and sporting some easy to whip up hand sewn overalls. Mac Mac! We've decided 'quack quack' is bunk and ducks really say mac mac.

I'm totally feeling these now! Miss Pig and her petticoat are cut out and ready to go. I'd like to get the pig and duck into the shop as Hand Sewing for Fun PDFs. And I hope to have the farm gal cross stitch patterns joining them. Not exactly the make-a-long extravaganza I'd been planning but I guess I'm not really working at an extravaganza pace these days. The smaller, more manageable and relaxing, hand sewing projects are definitely my scene right now, you know, the kind of project you can work on while sitting under a blanket :)

50 thoughts on “the duck says mac mac

1. Denise Leavens says:

I am SO with you about the hand sewing! I got the urge in July when here in the Pacific Northwest we were having record heat. Well, all summer was hotter and drier than we’re used to, so I pretty much spent it in a front of fan with hand sewing. The hand sewing has segued perfectly into fall – with a blanket and hot tea!
    Mac Mac is adorable! His little overalls are so sweet.
    Am looking forward to the PDF!

2. LizAndrsn says:

I about snorked coffee from my nose at the line, “sheep are just trouble.” I love wool, but I guess sheep aren’t for everyone.
    Overalls. On a duck. Snork-worthy, too!

3. Gail says:

Swooooooon! Adler LOVEs loves Loves ducks! Sign me up I am definately ordering these. Hopefully in time for me to make him a set for Christmas. He is such a hugger and I know he will ADORE these. Gina still loves her Chloe doll I made for her last year. You are truly the bee’s knees :)

4. Suzanne says:

I will snap up those patterns as soon as you publish them. But oh – my daughter would SO love a nice big huggable duck like the one on your shelf. I’ll just keep mental wishes going that you get bored one night (ha!) and write up a big pattern for a big duckie. :)

5. Kirstin says:

These are probably the cutest little farm animals that I have ever seen…. They remind me of Sandra Boyton farm animals from the book FarmYard Dance…. How cute…. and sheep are trouble. In fact just down the road from me is a farm and I stood and watched a group of sheep run the other direction from their herder… he just shrugged his shoulders and laughed… silly little sheep!
    Thanks

6. Valerie says:

LOVE.
    and do wish for a hard copy someday, because the hand sewing for fun trifolds are so awesome.
    though I understand what’s so much easier/more manageable about PDFs, from your point of view…and will buy them, anyway.
    BARNYARD DANCE, INDEED!

7. Gail says:

Oh Right that is what they remind me of too, Barnyard Dance! I love to read that book to my kiddos! What a great gift to give to a little one. A set of handmade animals and the book! Hmmmmm I have a new neice on the way this December.

8. Darci says:

I might actually have to do some hand sewing…or give them to my mom to do. But I just have to say that new wee duck’s feet made me laugh…My dogs think I am crazy.

9. maggie smith says:

hillary, these are so fun!! but i’m loving the bigger more huggable size too–i wouldn’t give up on that, maybe you can offer both versions? they don’t even need clothes–i just love that big huggable duck! and i’m sure the big pig would be popular too.
    the lamb is fun–just seems the ears are a bit long, making it look bunny-like?
    great to see some new softies–you know we’ve all been waiting!! xo

10. Rachel says:

Hillary, love it as always.
    I’m a long time reader and I am giving you an Honest Scrap blog award! Please visit my blog to find out more information.
    Thanks so much for continuing to inspire me every day. Keep cross-stitchin’!
    Thanks,

11. Queen of Procrastination says:

and a Mac! Mac! here and a Mac! Mac! there, here a Mac! there a Mac!… Old McDonald’s Farm will never be the same. I’m so happy to see you’re posting more adorable little stuffies. Just tooo cute!

12. Helen says:

I like the small version but I think I prefer the larger versions without clothes. You’ve designed the body shapes so well it seems a shame to hide them and they’d be easier to cuddle!

13. Terri Moran says:

Oh,please hurry and post these in your shop. You may recall that every year I make my young niece something from your shop. The duck would be the perfect gift!