All Kinds of Signs

I was very excited about this book in the stack because it was illustrated by Trina Schart who I absolutely love! We have a golden book illustrated by her, Bow Wow! Meow! and it's one of our favorites.

now this is a sign I'd definitely stop for!

I love illustrations of grocery stores in kids' books. All the bins neatly filled with all the pretty colors. I should try to remember to snap photos of them when I come across them.

And this in my favorite page. Very on topic as I am the party planner for the kindergarten Halloween party this year! I've already bought myself my "crazy room mom wearing a wig" wig for the party and now I'm working on our crafts and games. Any awesome, big hit ideas out there that I should know about? I have to keep reining myself in and remember that these are kindergartners. I think I'm going to ditch a craft for another game. Here are my front runners are so far… pumpkin bowling, eating donuts off a string, mummy wrapping kids in toliet paper and then for crafts I had, spiders made from styrofoam balls and then a treat type of craft, maybe candy faces on lollipops with icing, that sort of thing. I did want to make paper mache ghosts but too messy, won't dry in time. And I really wanted to make popcorn balls in class but talk about messy. Bobbing for apples seems like such a fun, retro game but then I think about snotty coughing kids slobbering around in a bucket of water. gah. Not sure that's CDC approved.

25 thoughts on “All Kinds of Signs

1. chelle says:

You can make ghosts out of tootsie pops. Just put a tissue over the pop, tie a bow around its neck, and draw eyes. Very cute.
    One fun and ridiculously easy game is to put cotton balls on a desk. Kids have to pick up the cotton balls with a spoon and get them into a bowl. I think that we pretended that the cotton balls were ghosts or something one year?

2. Emilee says:

I was the kindergarten room mom last year, and I’ll just say that the kids actually had a really hard time wrapping a mummy with toilet paper. The paper kept breaking, and it made them feel really frustrated. If I do it again, I think I’ll probably use strips of fabric (thrifted sheet, probably). Good luck! I love kindergartners.

3. Becky C. says:

Maybe if you floated the apples in a vat of hand sanitizer? (that was a joke, please no one do that)
    I always think that music games/dancing are a good plan, helps to burn off some of that excess energy… like teach them how to do the “Monster Mash”.
    They’ll love it as long as you’re having fun too.

4. Gemma says:

We did pin the wart on the witch, pass the broom (like hot potato) to the song “I Want Candy”, ring toss onto pointed black witch hats, trying to drop pennies or clothespins into bottles and a scarecrow relay race. We did some crafts, too, but this year I will ditch the crafts and only play games – it got too crazy!

5. Emily says:

I was going to suggest donuts on strings!
    One caveat on the tp mummy wrapping – make sure that they don’t wrap their faces. I had a group of older kids do this, and some freaked out from not being able to breathe or feeling too claustrophobic… that was not fun.

6. Donna says:

Interesting that Trina Schart Hyman used only her maiden name on that book, she was married and writing/illustrating as Trina Schart Hyman since 1959. I love her books as well, beautiful illustrations and her children always look so realistic, often with messy hair and bandaids on their knees.

7. lily boot says:

we had a spooky party for Abby’s birthday when she was turning 5 and the big hits of the party were painting spooky shapes (a scared cat, spider or witch head) that I had cut out of thin MDF with a jigsaw. They were the first activity of the party – whilst the children were arriving – and they were dry in time to take home. And for the final activity – we put on a puppet show of a favourite spooky book – “Who’s Afraid of the Storybook Wolf” by Lauren Child – we drew the puppets on stiff card and coloured them with pencils and pen – then drew and coloured a background, then Julian, Abby and I made a play of the book – it was great and the kids loved it.

8. Mamanutt says:

For the popcorn glove hands I always add a spider ring to the stuffed hand!
    And thinking about the wrap the mummy thing, could you use crepe paper so that you avoided the breaking tp??

9. rachel says:

my daughter’s school just had a fall festival last night. They ate marshmallows off a string. The marshmallow was on a toothpick, which was held by a clothes pin tied to the string. Cute and fun. Maybe easier than donuts? I think there were five strings tied at different heights, so the kids could race each other.

10. Mary says:

It bears repeating- tootsie ghost! Cover a Tootsie roll with a tissue, add sticker googly eyes and tie with an orange ribbon. No glue or mess, and it’s always a big hit.

11. Erin says:

As a teacher in an elementary school, it’s WAY easier to do a harder craft with a few children. If you are working with 20 ish children – KEEP IT SIMPLE! The tootsie roll spider is always a hit, but I also had my kindergarteners cover a roll of toliet paper with a largish piece of orange fabic, stick some green raffia and pipe cleaners in the top, and voila – a pumpkin! Also a good kindergarten craft is to have them decorate a jack be little pumpkin – they can use fabric scraps, foamies, markers, all kinds of stuff – just glue it on! That one is good for multi-levels of fine motor skills. Good luck to you! :)

12. claire says:

Do you have A Little Alphabet by Trina Schart Hyman? ( I think it also has another title) Very cute small book, with a letter on each page, and illustrations of many things that begin with that letter, and it’s a game to see if you can name them all – answers are provided! I wish I could buy posters of these letters to frame…spelling out a child’s name on the wall, or initials…so beautiful.

13. Kathy Lou says:

Booty Scoot
    It’s just like musical chairs except instead of running and crashing into the seats, you have to keep your booty on the seats and scoot around the circle. When the music stops the one booty without a seat is out.
    They love to say booty scoot.

14. Cindy says:

My favorite party game – Reverse Musical Chairs. Instead of children going out, chairs do. Everyone still has to sit down when the music ends, so they have to find someone’s lap to sit on. As the chair numbers get smaller the game gets funnier. The kids just love this game.

15. Rayna says:

Eating a doughnut off a string (no hands) has always been a big hit at my girls’ birthday parties. Kids and parents always have a blast!

16. mary says:

there are a bunch of craft ideas here
    One year we made witches brew in my daughters class. Eye of newt(plastic eye) snake skin (plastic snake) witches hair, etc. the kids all threw it in the cauldron closed their eyes and said the magic words and out popped a magic potion…small bubble vials. They also love pin the tail on anything….eyes on a ghost. hat on a witch.

17. Andrea says:

Oh, the memories come flooding back – I had that ‘Bow Wow! Meow!’ book when I was a little girl. Gotta go see if I can dig that up now that I’ve got a little one of my own.

18. delia says:

My daughter and I just finished our 100th “boo pops” last night for religious ed. classes.
    Costco is the best price for the tootsie pops. But after years spending a small fortune on orange and black ribbons, I now use the thick rug yarn in bright orange. It’s easier for the kids to take off too.
    The eyes were 2 dots close to each other with an “0” underneath for a mouth….ultra fine sharpie in black.
    The ink won’t bleed on the kleenix and dries fast!
    Have a blast at the party.
    delia