we’ll put it in the basement

The best part of having a basement — being able to justify buying plastic model kits from the 70s at garage sales with the intention of hanging on to them for another 5 years until Oscar's ready for them. With an attic and a basement, there's really nothing stopping us now. Dangerous.

I've been thinking a lot about our dump-all basement. It's "finished" but not in a I want to go hang out in the basement way. We need a plan for it. I never had a basement growing up and am very attracted to the 60s/70s idea of a basement… bar, pool table, scenic wallpaper, etc.

But I don't know, maybe we just need the basic white walls, berber carpet and recessed lighting. A big open space to do whatever. But then, on the other hand, a theme. We definitely need a theme basement, right? I know there's more basement awesomeness I'm forgetting.

12 thoughts on “we’ll put it in the basement

1. Annika says:

We never had a finished basement when I was a kid, but my husband’s family always had the bar and the television in theirs and I am so envious! Especially living in California, where we have no basements.

2. LizAndrsn says:

Does anyone really ever call a Tiki Bar a bad place to hang out? Especially one that was a tiny stage for the kids to perform on? Really?
    If I had a basement that needed a theme (and the craft room was a room all by itself), it would be Tiki all the way. Paper umbrellas. Lights on strings. Grass skirted bistro tables and chairs. Didn’t they handled this on Trading Spaces years ago? It never goes out of style and is fun-fun-fun for everyone.

3. Rachel says:

Oh man, I grew up in the late 80s/early 90s in a 1950s 3 bdrm ranch with a huuuge basement. We had walnut paneling (muuuch classier than knotty pine, haha), a built in bar, pinball, mini-bowling arcade game, and a Goonies arcade game. Crazy-awesome. I vote for an old school game room and lounge with plenty of room for the kids run all over the place!

4. jennifer says:

have you seen Elvis’ basement at Graceland? oh my, was that place cool… although it was a challenge to convince my husband we didn’t “need” green shag carpeted walls when we finished our basement last year.
    p.s. love the star wars models :)

5. Erica says:

My friends finished their basement and made sure to finish the area under the stairs with a light, carpeting, nice molding…it’s the perfect little nook for the kids. Far nicer than Harry’s “cupboard under the stairs” and ideal for pretending and cozy reading.

6. Melanie says:

Somebody still produces those wall murals, modern, more photographic I think. My aunt grabbed an old one, probably just like your pic, at a garage sale in phoenix. The the things she finds is always amazing.
    We considered a gymnastics theme for the kids part, but covering foam with vinyl doesn’t seem that appealing right now.
    I love the last pic & description. Multi-function.