green and pink and black, again

Unbelievable.. it’s a finished project! This one I started back in March. I’m not sure how it won the lottery of which project to start with first but I’m glad it did because once I got going on it (after mulling it for a week or so) it went together in a day and I now have something finished! Nothing more invigorating than finishing something.

This puppy is for Phoebe and it’s in a favorite color scheme of mine, that I think I can safely say has been sated now. The small squares (96 of them, half the same print) are 4″, the bigger squares (24 of them) are 7 1/4″ and the finished size is 47″ square.

My favorite part may be the binding. I love this green and pink calico so much and I always love how tidy a hand-sew binding looks. And I forgot how much I love having a hand sewing project to work on in the evenings. I’m so out of practice. I’ve been spending my evenings buried in a book trying to forget about all the day’s writing and editing. I’m really not a huge fan of sitting at the sewing machine. I just want to get to the sofa part. The embroidering or the finishing. I should try to get something to that stage today so I’ll have a project for tonight.

I embroidered a little to-from on the back for Phoebe. I always think something like this will take forever and am surprised how quickly it goes in a little backstitch. I think I should go through and add some to my old quilts. Hey, maybe there’s my tonight sofa project.

The back is a vintage tablecloth that I’ve had forever and never had the courage to cut into. Now it can live on in one piece, all happy and whole.

39 thoughts on “green and pink and black, again

1. Annie says:

What a lovely quilt!
    I agree about the joys of couch sewing. Embroidering eyes and noses and adding little bits of felt while lounging on the couch at the same time is kind of the best.

2. BunnyBear says:

It’s lovely. I still have items my mom made me in childhood :) I understand what you mean about the sofa part, but for me that’s the part I hate. I’m more of a cutting up/piecing quilter. I have two king size tops just hanging out in a drawer waiting. Phoebe is a lucky girl.

3. Donna says:

Beautiful quilt! I’ve used old sheets for backing, I like the idea of using an old tablecloth.
    I really enjoy watching television and hand sewing, it makes me feel as though I’m not wasting time being a couch potato 😎

4. Rachel / cREaTe says:

wow. what a lucky girl! and i LOVE the personalized embroidery. :) i believe every handmade gift should have something to that effect. it’s what will make it TRULY hers. and what makes it truly from YOU. it’s now documented forever!

5. jen says:

oh, i love it, esp. the binding. i really love hand sewing too b/c that means couch time! and i really look forward to couch time when i have a full skirt that needs to be hemmed by hand.

6. Miaou says:

oh that’s lovely. See, I would never have thought of putting those three colours together, but you just show how brilliant it looks! And I agree, the binding is fabulous.

7. Adriana says:

Absolutely gorgeous. The colours are beautiful.
    And good for you for signing your projects. Please, please do so. I’ve got lots of things my mum made for me but they’re not signed. This is something that Phoebe will treasure forever. So yes, go and “sign” all your finished projects :-)
    Glad to see you’re relaxing after all the hard work.

8. Elisabeth says:

I love the tablecloth backing, and I think it’s good you didn’t cut it up. I am a big proponent of labeling quilts, even if it is just with your name and the date. The main reason for this is that I have an old 9 patch quilt and a really adorable Sunbonnet Sue doll quilt and I wish, wish, wish I knew who made them! I know they were made by ancestors, but I have no idea who. So anyway, I would go back and sign your quilts, your future ancestors will thank you!