4 lbs of mixed legos

This ought to keep us busy and keep our mind off the fact that the pool will soon be closing. We all have legomania around here. I think I have it worse than Oscar. It's the collector in me. I can hardly stop myself from buying out-of-production batman sets on ebay for hundreds of dollars. Why is it all so expensive?! I've been looking at garage sales all summer and have never seen any legos. Kids must guard these with their lives.

We just had a mini 4-day staycation, basically just normal life but off the computers/away from work. Highlights included finally (FINALLY) two years later finishing tearing the wallpaper off the bathroom walls and painting, walking through gardens and figuring out a plan for our garden for next year, bike rides, forest preserves, dinner out and of course legos. Oh, and lots of daydreaming about the real vacation we're going to take next Summer. If anyone knows of the perfect Michigan beach town let us know. We're making our reservations now!

(Taking pictures at the Japanese garden)

53 thoughts on “4 lbs of mixed legos

1. Tracy says:

Empire or Glen Arbor in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore. We have gone every single year since our children were 3 and 5. They beg to go back.

2. Jenna says:

Oh! Tracy is absolutely right. It is Glen Arbor. We were just there last week for our fourth visit. Sleeping Bear is beautiful! You will love it. Fantastic beaches and sand dunes as far as the eye can see. The water in Lake Michigan by August is perfect temp. Sunsets over the lake. Yep, it’s the best!

3. Heather says:

We were lucky enough that Grandma kept all my husband lego from when he was a child and passed it on to us when our children were ready for it – I love it that they are now playing with the same lego he did. I agree that it is hard to find lego at reasonable prices.

4. qsogirl says:

My husband and I went to Holland, MI for the first time this summer and loved it! There are 2 beaches there, and they were in easy biking distance (on really nice bike paths) from the bed and breakfast where we stayed.

5. RC says:

My MIL kept all my husband’s legos. They have hundreds of pounds of them. It’s insane. We’ve added special sets over the years, but they get mixed in with the old sets so why bother. We are very lucky. I plan to pass them back to my MIL when my kids are done with them so my BIL and SIL can have them for their future children.

6. Mandy says:

Our first legos for our kid came from a yard sale across the street, and of course now we have tons. My Mom won’t give up MY legos from when I was a kid, but at least we can play with them when we visit. And just this weekend we visited a new LEGO STORE down the road a ways. It was awesome.
    Sounds like a perfect vacation at home. :)

7. Emilee says:

We love St. Joseph, MI, with Silver Beach, but I haven’t tried too many other places. I’ll have to check out some of your other suggestions.

8. Christina says:

I’m a former Michigander and I agree with sticking to the west coast, especially around Traverse City (my husband’s home town). He also recommends looking at Glen Arbor, Leland and Old Mission.
    Have fun! We’re looking at London in Feb 2010 and I think all the early researching and planning is the most fun (and least stressful!) part of traveling, especially with toddlers.

9. Christine Capece says:

I searched all summer at Garage sales for Legos, duplos, to no avail. I really don’t want to pay full price! We’ve moved on to Playmobil too. Oh, how I love those playmobil characters. I’ve never been to MI. I hope you get some nice suggestions!

10. robiewankenobie says:

we lived in Holland, MI, and it was just plain adorable. a quaint downtown with the best candy shop on the planet, and the beach (tunnel park is the best). close by is a tourist haven (saugatuck). mucho expensive, but a good side trip.

11. Megan says:

Sleeping Bear Dunes is great; Ludington is also very pretty. And if you want to get really adventurous, there’s all kinds of sleepy towns in the U.P.

12. Care says:

I totally LUCKED OUT over the weekend and found six gallon-size ziploc bags of Legos at a yard sale! SCORE!! It only increased our quickly-becoming-gigantiferous collection. I’ve NEVER seen Legos at yard sales before that, though!
    …There are plenty of worse things to collect, right?

13. Sarah says:

We LOVE New Buffalo, MI. Awesome deep soft sandy beach, cute little downtown, ice cream shop on the little wooden board walk, public parking. And you can watch the boats come in their harbor. Not a lot of places to stay, but the holiday inn there is very clean and comfortable.

14. Jenna says:

I have to vote for St. Joseph, since we live here! Construction is finishing up on an interactive fountain, a huge carousel and a kids discovery zone down by Silver Beach….

15. Jacqui says:

I’ve heard that the reason it’s so rare is that parents hang on to it like grim death because it’s so expensive to buy new as well as being nearly indestructible, they figure they’ll keep it for the grandkids and get double use out of it! Same with the good wooden Thomas the Tank Engine stuff, it hardly ever comes up on auction sites. My daughter has finally outgown her Quattro so we need to start looking for Lego and I know there’s no chance of getting my old stuff off my parents!

16. Abi says:

Last year I hit the motherload at a church sale and got several big boxes of Lego and Kinex. This year people have been just giving my son Lego’s at garage sales we go to. He digs through them instantly finds the “rare” pieces. Talk about a stash. Makes me feel not so bad about all my yarn 😉

17. Jen says:

Hi Hillary,
    We have a couple of friends in Chicagoland who are up at Watervale (Arcadia, MI) as much as possible during the summer. We’re hoping to get out there next summer ourselves (and we’ll be driving fom NJ). Hope this helps!

18. Bree Juarez says:

We just got the legos out today, too. Funny. For a vacation I would suggest Saugatuck (near Holland as some other commenters have mentioned). It’s a great artist community with fabulous shops, wineries, and beaches. We rented a house there this summer and had a blast.

19. Tracy says:

If you have time, you could drive up the west coast of Michigan and stay at different places to scope out what suits your family best, and then the following year just return to the place you liked best for your whole vacation. Different towns have different vibes. Some are very crowded, some are sleepier or more rustic with less to do. Many great places have been mentioned. I already chimed in–first!–with Empire or Glen Arbor, but St. Joseph, Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Pentwater, Frankfort, Traverse City, Sutton’s Bay, Leland, Elk Rapids, Petoskey, and Charlevoix are all worth checking out, too. I’m sure you will find your paradise in one of those places. I’ve been to all of them and love them all for different reasons, but Sleeping Bear Dunes is where I return every summer. Michigan.org might be a good place to start your planning.
    RE: Legos. The number one toy in our house hands down, going on 12 years now!

20. Holly says:

I live in Traverse City! Come see me! Frankfort is a great place to stay (Harbor Lights Resort), you can see the Dunes, Traverse City, Northport, lots of lighthouses…Great Farmer’s Market..lots of crafty shops (INish knits and Liberty Quilts in Cedar!) A great mini-train for the kids to ride…lots of swimming! Let us know we’d love to show you around! Did I mention cherries?
    Holly in Traverse City

21. Deborah says:

OMG, I just bought two huge tubs of legos at a yard sale. The woman wanted to just give them to me but I insisted she at least take a couple of dollars. I don’t have kids at home now but my cousin’s little boys come over several times a month so I wanted to have some toys on hand for them. If only I had invented Legos!

22. Squirrel Momma says:

If you want to ramp that Lego obsession to the next level, start organizing them! We bought 2 plastic drawer units at Office Max–they’re about 2 feet high (which means they fit perfectly under Nut Boy’s “work table”), and have 8 shallow drawers each. One unit has the basic blocks arranged by color, while the other has separate drawers for themes like “Harry Potter” and “robot parts”. Having them organized like that makes building way more fun, because you can find the exact piece right away. Well, usually.

23. Amanda says:

I have family that lives in South Haven, MI. It just a 20 minute drive to Holland (cutie town) and Grand Haven (musical fountains). It is a great little beach town with a quaint downtown. We go every year – as often as we can.
    My husband kept all of his legos so we have a huge army box full of them. It is quite entertaining for the kids & hubby on a rainy day.

24. Kerry says:

I live in Michigan and love it. Beutiful Fall Colors, great places to snowboard and ice skate all winter, soggy springs and best of all white sandy beaches all along Lake Michigan. I agree, go to the west coast for sure. There are tons of great places! We always went to Travers City when I was a kid then took the boat up the “little finger” stopping in all the little marina towns. I miss that.

25. brandy says:

That’s a look of serious contemplation on that little fellows face there. You know, we don’t even own a single Lego. I’ve always wondered if my kids would enjoy them.

26. BoogaJ says:

Keep searching — we found Legos at two separate sales this past month. For a grand total of $9.50 we purchased a *huge* supply, including many fancy pieces (SpongeBob, StarWars, Pirates, Space theme). So they are out there!

27. Helen says:

Yet another vote for the west side of MI.
    My lego -obsessed son just informed me that if all the legos ever made were evenly distributed to each person on earth we’d all get 62 pieces!

28. becky says:

We had a lucky summer and found a big lot of legos at a garage sale!!! $15.00 was sooooo worth the 10 days + counting of not stop happiness. love them.

29. carin says:

Sleeping Bear, hands down. Rent a place in Glen Arbor or Frankfort. Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven… all nice places, but nothing beats Sleeping Bear Dunes. Take this from someone who has been to beaches all over the world… but will always be a Michigander at heart.
    If you do want to stay closer to home in terms of driving, there is a little association of cottages called Castle Park, halfway betw. Saugatuck and Holland that is amazing if you can find a rental…

30. One Hook Wonder says:

I had to smile at your post, because my oldest son (age 14) is still obsessed with his legos and their spin-offs like the Bionicle sets. He has many bins of them fully organized into different categories. Hey, I’m not complaining – he uses those Bionicles and legos to create fabulous stopmotion videos! He even modifies the pieces by painting them; I love it!

31. Crystal says:

I think the parents guard the legos as much as the kids. My friend tried to sell a big box of legos at my garage sale, her husband stopped by and got so mad. He grabbed the box of legos and left. Ooops, but its a good thing because I was thinking of buying them for my son anyway

32. Frieda Z says:

My son has tow large totes of legos and the instructions are all neat in a 4 inch binder. He has never gotten rid of any and still expects a lego set for Christmas( he is 20). So, yep, they hoard them.

33. Jen Gough says:

We live in Holland, MI and I think it is one of the best places to stay. If you want any other info I’d be happy to help.

34. Corinne says:

I would say Grand Haven MI, very close to Holland, (you’ll want to visit their kitschy little Dutch Village.)
    Grand Haven itself, had a great beach, and pier, nice little town. We just went for 5 days earlier this summer, and I want to go back!
    Not a bad drive from Chicago at all (with two kids!)

35. Katherine says:

I just went to Michigan for the first time this summer! I don’t know if the towns I visited are the type of thing you’re looking for, but I went to Petoskey (I saw one vote already up there for it) and I totally fell in love with it. If it weren’t a ten hour drive from my family, I would move there – in a heartbeat! On the way there and back we stayed in Escanaba. I loved the part of it that we stayed in. If you want more information about either of the cities, or recommendations for where to sleep, eat, shop, and visit, I would be happy to provide them (even if you’re still deciding which part of MI to go to).

36. Annne says:

My husband has carted his legos where ever he has lived since he left home at 20. So since we were married at twenty I have packed them and moved them six times!

37. Sarah B says:

Matt, Xander, Elizabeth and I just took this huge driving trip out to New England and back. We stayed one night camping in Ludington, MI at the Ludington State Park. We camped. The campground was in the dunes, the beach was amazing and we were totally sad to leave and drive to Niagra Falls. Good thing Niagra was gorgeous and Martha’s Vineyard provided 6 perfect beach days. We took the Badger Ferry from Manitowac, WI to Ludington. 4 hours of Ferry fun. The kids loved it.
    I have all of my brothers old legos. Lucked out I guess.

38. amy says:

We just went to the Lego Brick Fair here in northern VA last weekend. The boys (daddy and son) got there when it opened and stayed til it closed. I brought the girl for the last 2 hours. Next year, we’re swapping those roles out and *I* get to go all day!
    Legos are awesome.

39. Mel B. says:

I live in Holland, MI and it is gorgeous here. You cannot go wrong with anywhere along the Lake Michigan coastline. Saugatuck is sweet! We love going there for dinner. We just spent the weekend in Traverse City and love the Leelanau Peninsula too. Beautiful wine country and gorgeous views! We feel very lucky to live here. P.S. It is rumored the L. Frank Baum lived here in Holland when he wrote “The Wizard of Oz”. The yellow brick road apparently was the road through Macatawa, which used to be a resort town, but now may have house rentals (very awesome). Castle Park was the model for the Emerald City. Some fun history.

40. Jane says:

Everyone is sending you to Northern Michigan and I totally agree. We spend at least a week in Michigan each year and have since we were kids (didn’t know each other but our parents both had Michigan ties). The best trips we took when our kids were Lego ages were the ones that had a bit of everything- without much driving in between you can tour the lake stopping in Pentwater for the best beach in Michigan, Sleeping Bear (a day at the dunes is a must), Traverse City’s state park campground is nice with a walkway over to the beach and if you are there during the film festival there are kid friendly events including free outdoor films by the bay, I love Charlevoix with it’s smaller and as such warmer lake and outdoor free concerts downtown and of course the very touristy and fun Macinac Island (stay inland and go out for the day unless you want to spend big bucks). Michigan has always been our budget friendly but feel rich in fun go to spot.

41. meg says:

um hello! come visit your HS BFF …in Grand Rapids!…for free! we’re a hop away from holland, saugatuck, grand haven, etc. You also have an inside pass to the local private beaches and if you want up north the in-laws have a cabin on Bass Lake just north of Traverse City.
    …oh and you know my boys have a mountainous horde of every kind of lego!

42. Nicole says:

Hold on to them! My husband still has his from his childhood…actually he had them spread out in the living room the other night building a large ship! too funny!

43. Ashley says:

I’ve been to the Traverse City area during the Cherry Festival in July. Very neat area and surrounding areas to visit with a lot of light houses and things to do. I would take a 2 day trip up to Mackinac Island where cars aren’t allowed so you get there by ferry.