two is terrible

I freeze up every time I sit down to write about my sweet tiny baby turning two. It's so sudden! She was just, five minutes ago, a brand new tiny little baby, right? I swear it. But there was cake and a big balloon and a mountain of presents so it must be true. It doesn't help me that the last few weeks have seen her outgrow half her clothes, centuple (had to look that one up) her vocabulary and try to potty train herself. And Oscar, I just had to fill out his paperwork for university! Or was that kindergarten?

Well I'll be back soon with some photos and chit chat. School's finally out for Summer, the pool pass has been bought and the sandbox filled. And I have two more days til Phoebe is officially two so I should be able to pull myself together.

22 thoughts on “two is terrible

1. amanda says:

So, how did that heart get into the middle of the cake?? That’s amazing.
    I can’t believe it’s gone by that quickly, either – I literally started reading your blog like, the day Phobe was born! Crazy.

2. Flora says:

I have just under a month left before my little pickle turns two…I totally know what you mean about it not seeming 5 minutes ago since she was born! I’m glad she’s not still a newborn though, if you know what I mean!

3. Liz says:

I can understand my baby will be 2 in July I remember when we were both pregnant. I also have a 10 year old going into 5th grade this fall. She was a baby last week and a 7 year old who I know still wants his green blankies and paci. It happens way to fast, but big girl dresses are fun to make too.

4. Rebekah says:

Just yesterday I told my sister-in-law that I didn’t know when my 2 1/2 year turned into a little girl. Where did my BABY go? She’s grown so tall and thoughtful and funny. They change and grow so, so quickly.

5. Nancy says:

you hit the nail RIGHT on the head. (have you ever thought of writing a book?) you’ve described so perfectly, how it’s SOOOOOOOOOOOOO bittersweet and so fast. sigh.

6. verena says:

I’m drooling over that cake! I hear you about the babies growing too quick. I keep threatening to put bricks on my kids’ heads to keep them from growing.

7. Kelley Hart Jenkins says:

I feel your pain! My one and only boy child is turning 13 in a month! He’s still my sweet baby boy. I hear the teen years are like revisiting the terrible twos. . . we shall see. Good luck!

8. Ellen says:

Oh Hillary don’t I get it! Your Phoebe and my Harry are born about the same time, and my “baby” turns two on Thursday – where does the time go? Happy birthday gorgeous girl…

9. melissa says:

they do grow up so fast.. to fast.. My babies are turning 17, and 12 next month.. Where does the time go? The cake is awesome too btw.. would lov to know how u got a heart in the center like that..

10. Sarah says:

Ack, I also started reading your blog just after she was born. SCARRRRRY how quickly time flies. Seems like just yesterday you were posting pics of those chubby baby legs clad in striped tights. :) And I can’t believe my oldest is starting kindergarten next year. Double crazy. But I digress…
    Happy birthday, Phoebe!