screen printed folkster dolls

I've been wanting to make silk screened printed dolls for the longest time now. I bought all the supplies and picked out the spot in the basement to set it up. I watched dvds and read online tutorials. And never did anything about it, for years. Now I've finally figured out how to do it. I found myself a willing high school art student to do it for me! Thanks Tess :)

We've been thinking about printed dolls for a while now. We were thinking Spoonflower and I've been playing around with designs, but I just couldn't get too excited about it. The digital printing wasn't doing it for me and I thought we'd print our own through the printer and had lackluster results. I'm so happy with the screen printing. I knew I'd love it. I love the imperfections and how no one is the same. They each have their own little personalities, just like their 3D versions. This gal turned out a little grumpy which I think is so cute. And her expression totally matches her body language, in fact, I think some little might be looking at me exactly like that right now. Better go!

57 thoughts on “screen printed folkster dolls

1. Julie says:

They look terrific! She does look highly unimpressed in the cutest way possible. I imagine she’s saying, “are you freakin’ kidding me?”.

2. Mary G says:

I do like that one! And you’re right — some of my little ones give me that look fairly often! I just love visiting your site … such beautiful and whimsical (in a good way!) stuff!

3. Kathleen says:

I’m so crazy about silk screening! That could be my favorite thing you have ever made. The colors are great and the expression is perfect. Please, please sell them on etsy. Even if you sell just the piece of screened fabric people could sew and stuff them. Please!

4. susan jonsson says:

I too hope you are selling these adorable screened dolls! Did you use a Gocco….or the larger screen for this project? You have inspired me to try out my Gocco that is sitting in its box….never used! Thanks and I can’t wait to see what you come up with next!
    Susan

5. Katie says:

Wow. What a wonderful illustration. I’ve always loved to look of screen printing too and the over print effect that you can achieve. They look great!

6. sarah n. says:

you know…looking at them here unsewn, they would also be super sweet little drawstring bags! or shoot, i’d love to buy them just printed cause then I could sew them on a dress or jacket! OR my suitcase. :)

7. Sara says:

These are absolutely gorgeous and inspiring. I’ve never done silk screen printing before, but I’m interested in it and maybe will give it a try someday. I have done block printmaking before, and have seen people stamp their blocks onto fabric, but I’m not sure how lasting these images are…

8. Kim Borchert says:

Oh how I love these. The grumpy girl fits my mood right now. I am trying to repurpose a skirt and stink at zippers, blah. Seeing that cute girl is exactly what I needed tonight :)