angelina

Thanks for all the plant name info yesterday! How do you know all that stuff? I can't even id what's in my own garden. So, ok, I've realized two things… one, that container is all Spring and won't last throughout the Summer and two, containers are way too hard for beginner me. I realized that when I went off all optimistic with my plant name list in hand and came up empty handed and confused. The way I approach gardening reminds me of how I first approached knitting. I tried to learn how to knit for about 10 years before I finally figured it out. I kept signing up for classes and picking first projects that were completely over my head, like sweaters. Then I'd get discouraged and give up. That's totally what I'm doing here too but I'm not going to give up. I'm just going to stick to scarf gardening for a while.

So now I'm focusing on one flower containers and on groundcovers. Those, plus our "big project" and I think that'll do us for Spring planting.

I saw this while out the other day and I just love it! The dark purple and bright gold are so pretty.

With Melissa's help I figured out it's a sedum, and I think it's this one, Sedum Angelina. I really hope it's not impossible to find because I'm seriously crushing on it.

pic from better homes and garden
Angelina

12 thoughts on “angelina

1. Samantha says:

You just need a recipe! http://www.bhg.com/gardening/container/plans-ideas/container-gardens/
    Both of these sites have recipes. I like the Proven Winners site the best. I’m so bad about freezing up when it comes to planting flowers in my garden. I get a flower in my mind (this year it was pink snapdragons) and when they don’t have it, I freeze up. So I’m trying to unfreeze myself and just plant some flowers for goodness sake! LOL
    Good luck! I like the sedum you chose, by the way.

2. liz says:

i love angelina! we’ve got it all over our garden, and it so easy and colorful. super-easy to find too. around here (asheville) you can get it at any home depot or lowes garden center.
    good luck – and don’t give up! gardening is a work-in-progress. half the fun is in the doing (and re-doing sometimes)!

3. Muddlepud says:

We have some of that sedum, I think, or something very similar looking, and what I love about it is how it changes colors throughout the year. It’s green or gold in the spring and turns a deeper gold and orange in the fall. Pretty!

4. Anamaria says:

I don’t have a lot of helpful gardening advice, apart from getting cuttings and divisions from your neighbors (guaranteed to grow well!), but I would love to know how you finally learned to knit, because I’m reaching the ten year mark on that goal myself. Scarves?

5. Heather says:

I have that sedum in pots and adore it. I love the golden hues in summer and the coppery red it turns in fall. I bought two small plants at Home Depot last summer and have managed to divide it into about a dozen plants since. Simply break off a bit and stick it in a new pot or let a portion of the original trail into a neighboring pot. It will root quickly without you lifting a finger.

6. Melanie says:

I love the little sedums. I think I have one shaped like that, but I’m not sure if it is yellowish.
    I did what you did with the container planting. I found a book or two with some really pretty plantings, but a lot of was not available here in the midwest. That’s why I like some of the books that are specific to Illinois/Midwest. Then I don’t walk into the nursery asking for “x” and get a strange look, and stand and wait for them to go ask… what inevitably will be a no answer. Ugh! I have been enjoying the petunia or wave flowers that hang from the baskets. I overplant a little and put 1-3 grasses in for height, or something that grows upright. I learned to pinch off the growth right away so it bushes out.
    Good luck & have fun

7. Laura T. says:

Hi Hillary,
    Check out Margaret Roach’s blog awaytogarden.com and she has a nice section on sedum angelina. If the former garden editor of Martha Stewart Living recommends it, it must be good! I was just looking for this today, too, and have seen it at nicer places like The Growing Place and Planter’s Palatte, but did not see it at Ace or Home Depot. I guess I’ll have to fork over the $9.99 for a pot of it (albeit a large, 8 inch pot!).
    Some other good chartreuse or gold plants that I have had success with include the creeping front of the border Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia “Aurea” or the herb Germander (Teucrium chamaedrys). They are both perennials. Taller ones I like are Euphorbia polychroma or the grass Hakenechloa macra. OK, I’m getting ahead of myself.
    Lastly, I agree with one plant pots – it’s so easy to go overboard with too many things. I like the blue agapanthas – they look like the alliums you planted but they are blue and last all summer. A solid annual geranium is pretty as is a pot of million bells or scabiosa.
    Hope this helps!
    Laura in Naperville

8. mry says:

If you want the same look in the fall..but taller plant some goldenrod with a purple aster (aster novae-angliae. One of my favorites. For the pots just remember less is more when it comes to color and really pack them in.

9. Hayley says:

Don’t fear the containers, Hillary! Find a proper plant center you trust, and ask specifically for someone to help you with choosing container plants. We always had fantastic service at Gethsemane, up in Edgewater/Andersonville, but I know that’s a shlep for you… Really, you only need 2-3 well-chosen plants to make a container look good – just get a vague idea of a color scheme you like & if you’re dealing with full/part/no sun & go play :)

10. Caroline says:

Hillary, Spring Hill Nursery (online/catalog) has a similar “golden hued” sedum. They don’t have angelina, but it’s close! Check it out! I’ve bought stuff from them with success in the past :)