I decorate the world with color

Ready for another rousing round of "I had that doll!!" I didn't actually have this one, I was just a smidge (ahem) too old for this gal but I came across her on ebay and couldn't resist. She's actually pretty cute, look at her sweet face. And the crazy 80s-ness of her. So awesome! If you press her hand she says all sorts of totally rad stuff like "I live in rainbow land with the color kids". And her puffy rainbow space girl outfit. Too good to pass up.

80 thoughts on “I decorate the world with color

1. Melanie says:

Ah Rainbow Bright!! My sister and I had the whole crew- you should check Ebay for her unicorn as well. Fun times.

2. Adel says:

Oh, I was totally into Rainbow Bright! I still have my old doll (she doesn’t talk, though) and her horse, and I’ve even got some episodes and the movie that my dad recorded onto VHS! Good times…

3. Holly says:

Guilty as charged. Rainbow Brite…Care Bears…Strawberry Shortcake…oh yeah. FP My Friends dolls were (okay, still are) my faves, but you’re absolutely right – Rainbow Brite is just so funky 80’s good.

4. Aunt LoLo says:

Oooh…I LOVED Rainbow Brite. My cousin had one of the movies, and I made her watch it EVERY time I went over!!!
    I had one of her little furry friends, on a stick. I won it at the fair. The next morning, my mother decided the sticks were too dangerous for four year old twins to be parading around the house with, so she confiscated the sticks. I kept that little fuzzy thing forEVER.

5. Jessica says:

I had Rainbow Bright and all her friends (who were all named after colors of course) and a little rainbow house for them to play in … good times, good times.

6. julia says:

I totally had this one. And her rainbow house (which had a handle on it- so rad!). Now off to find out if my mom still has this one stashed away in the basement awaiting the eventual birth of my daughter (in about 5 years or so).

7. Molly says:

I played with rainbow brite when I was young, My mom kept it all in the attic, and now my children are playing with all my old 80s toys.

8. kathleen watson says:

Oh my goodness. I most certainly did have this doll! I used to snuggle down in my glow in the dark glo-worms sleeping bag along with my other trashy 80s toys (my little pony included).

9. Tracy says:

I remember Rainbow Brite had her own cereal,of course as brite as she was.It gave my sister hives. I also saw a little girl dressed as her this past halloween-I guess she is making a come back.

10. Hope says:

I’m jealous! I never had one and was never really into her, but I’ve got a few friends who are a bit younger than me and their nickname for me is Rainbow Brite. So, now I want one. And, you have one. I repeat – I’m jealous!!

11. rebecca says:

I loved Rainbow Bright, but I had a smaller pocket version with painted on clothes… yours is much, much cooler!

12. Hollie says:

I missed the Rainbow Brite era by a year or two, that’s not to say that I didn’t think she was a super cool doll. I babysat a little girl whose mom made her a Rainbow Brite costume for Halloween, complete with puffy rainbow striped legwarmers and a yarn wig.

13. stephanie says:

I had her and when we moved she disappeared. I later found a very “similar” doll at my cousins house, (she never had one and always wanted mine.)I’m not saying she took it, but it was kinda weird.

14. Emma says:

Oh, the nostalgia. I remember being insanely jealous of a friend who was Rainbow Bright for Halloween one year, back in the late 80s. We were probably 7 or 8, and her mom made the costume (maybe this? http://cgi.ebay.com/McCalls-Rainbow-Brite-childs-costume-pattern-sz-6-uncut_W0QQitemZ120386769551QQcmdZViewItem – ha!). I vaguely recall her telling my mom how many pattern pieces she’d had to cut out. That conversation nixed my shot at such a costume… 😉

15. mamie says:

i wished i had that doll. so deprived as a child in the doll category. i did take my strawberry shortcake collection out for the boys to ‘meet’ this week. they tried to eat the dolly shoes but they did give an attempt at combing her hair. sigh, sometimes the whole girl thing really gets me

16. lori says:

My mom used to tell me that the steam trails behind planes were where Rainbow Brite had flown over our house.
    I had a Rainbow Brite doll and a couple of Sprites (the fuzzy things) too. Talk about cute!

17. Tracy says:

Man, your commenters are young! :) I was also too old for Rainbow Brite. I totally would have loved her if she’d been around in the 70s. Just thought I’d chime in, in case all these other comments were making you feel ancient!

18. Jessica says:

Rainbow Brite was one of my favorite dolls! Along with Strawberry Shortcake, the three of us would have a grand old time!! I even remember having a VHS of her!

19. Kellie h says:

ah love it! i was also into Jem…truely, truely, truely outrageous. So wanted to be a teenager =) Now I wish I didn’t get older. If only we knew then what we know now, right? fun post!

20. chicken&chair says:

I always wanted this doll, but instead I had a homemade version that my mom made. Although in retrospect this is pretty cool, it always secretly irked me. Especially because she was too skinny and her purple underwear always fell off.

21. DannyFlo says:

OMG!!
    I had one of this when I was a child…
    just that mine was green…
    It was almost my high… :)
    Wooow!! You made me remember her!
    Those were good times

22. corinne says:

Oh yes, I had her and I loved her! I always wanted a Color Kid for her to play with….I am sure I had a favorite, but no idea which color!
    Oh, and I remember Rainbow Brite cerial…even as a kid, it was too sweet to eat!
    Ah, thanks for the flashback!

23. nikkapotamus says:

Totally had this one. I still do somewhere… I had a bunch of her friends, the horse and a whole herd of Sprites.
    Of course, I had the low-tech version and she didn’t talk. What fond memories.

24. Lori says:

Rainbow Brite! I have to admit…I still have mine. LOL I remember them well…Rainbow Brite, and the Color Kids. The Green One was always my favorite, but I can’t remember her name. shrug.

25. Shannon says:

feels weird that all our childhood toys are making a comback and there is two schools now. ‘vintage’ strawberry shortcake or the new ones. ack, my toys are vintage!
    The rainbow brite is wonderful.

26. shelle says:

oh rainbow brite, when i was in school i had a winter sky hat with a huge rainbow pom-pom and all the boys teased me by calling me rainbow brite. i loved the hat hated the name

27. Dana says:

My Rainbow Bright didn’t talk – but I had the car!! Oh how I LOVED that car!! It was like a dune buggy or something. Totally forgot about that until now! Thanks for the trip down memory lane…

28. *gemmifer* says:

I also was a bit too old for Rainbow Bright, but she definitely represents so much of what 80s pop-culture was about! She makes me think of Strawberry Shortcake, the Smurfs, puffy stickers, unicorn stationery, purple heart-patterned shoelaces… whoa, sorry, had an 80s girly overload for a second there!

29. Mary says:

I had a rainbow bright! However, she didn’t compare to my strawberry shortcake that had strawberry scented “breathe”. Well, if you squeezed her, strawberry air come out ;P

30. Amber Padilla says:

I had one when I was about 3 or 4, she was like my security blanket and would go with me everywhere. I’m pretty sure she’s the reason I loved Sailor Moon so much when I got into junior high school.

31. Mandy says:

Ooh, Oh, OH! Rainbow Bright! I loved Rainbow Bright. I too had her little rainbow playhouse. I was a complete and total tomboy and this was the only doll I ever owned. Oh what a great memory!

32. Jo Jo says:

When I was younger I was inlove with rainbow bright, and money was tight, so my mum spent hours making a rainbow bright doll herself.I nearly cried when I was given her. I would like to make some rainbow bright dolls for my two girls now. They are little rainbow brights themselves- I just ca’nt get enough of rainbow- well done on your find. It makes me smile

33. Marie says:

Cool! Rainbow Brite. I had a really big one (like a rag doll kind of thing). I totally loved her dress because some of it was shiny fabric – which was completely futuristic to me then! LOL).
    xMx

34. sarah says:

oh my goodness! My little girl Ruby is freaking out right now. We got an old VHS copy of Rainbow Bright and it’s one of her favorite movies. I just saw this post and had to drag her in here. She was staring slack-jawed with eyes popping out! “It’s rainbow bright!!” (she’s 4 and you made her day!)