c.b.’s

I'm bummed, I have three new Folksters dolls ready to show and tell today. Unfortunately the clouds have other ideas, so maybe tomorrow. For today it's back to the task at hand, studying craft books and trying to decide what makes the great ones great. Right now I'm wondering how to hit the perfect balance between written instructions and drawn diagrams. I am definitely a diagram person but I know there are a lot of people out there who would rather read it than see it. Is that a left/right brain thing? I need to investigate this more. Tangent, here I come…

29 thoughts on “c.b.’s

1. Adriana says:

Wow, that stack of books is fantastic. Glad to see I’m not the only one who “reads” craft books for fun and inspiration.
    I understand how you feel about reading/diagrams for instructions. I personally like the reading for tips (i.e. why to use a certain fabric rather than something else) but I think diagrams are more effective for me because it’s instant understanding.
    Not sure if this helps but I thought I’d give you my two cents.
    Happy reading!

2. Nancy Confer says:

Whenever I write up instructions, I do it both ways. photo or diagram with the writing, so crafters will know what they are looking at. I like following insturctions myself this way. Be it crafting or cooking. I need all the help I can get.
    NancyC

3. Jodi says:

I’m definitely more visual. I prefer looking at diagrams to understand how to construct something. But I agree with Adriana above that I also like to read about tips and points of interest.

4. mandy says:

If you want a good example of a nice blend of visuals and words, Anna Maria Horner’s new book is the perfect balance for me – plenty of diagrams and pictures and really easy to understand instructions.

5. susaninfrance says:

I’ll echo that, diagrams are the best! Esp. cute ones like in Amy Karol’s book. I also like Lotta’s books as well, but all of those in your stack are wonderful! Can’t wait for yours.

6. donna says:

Lots of pictures and diagrams for me please..with a few instructions, the more l read my brain switches off ( if it ever remembered to turn on in the first place!)lm sure you will get it just right, you can’t please all of the people all of the time! so don’t try just make it right for you..xx

7. Rhonda says:

I understand written instructions better when they are divided up with each diagram instead of one long written, blah blah. I know this won’t help with the book but a video tutorial on doll hair would be just so sweet. . . and ditto on the weather. Nothing brings gray skies here like planning a photo shoot or buying outdoor toys!

8. Steph says:

I have to have clear diagrams in a craft book, just as much as the written part. BTW you never told us when we’ll be able to buy your book!

9. maggie smith says:

Just chiming in on the need for good diagrams. I think when publishers don’t include them they are just cutting costs.
    CANNOT WAIT to see your book!
    xoxo

10. Kristin says:

I think both are necessary. I just got a sewing book by a very well known designer who shall remain nameless and I was kind of disapointed that there were no drawings (or clear pics) of the finished item. Only artsy shots. So you can’t even tell what some of the items look like without making them yourself! Kind of an oversite, IMO. :)

11. Junie Moon says:

I like illustrated depictions of details to help me be successful with a project as well as written instructions. It’s especially important if the technique is new or not commonly used.

12. sarah says:

it’s a left brain/right brain thing and my vote is written instructions plus diagrams for the tricky bits.
    a lot of the japanese books are all diagrams, which is great if you don’t speak the language, but i find many projects too complicated to follow that way (like bead patterns! agh. just tell me to how many beads, don’t make me count the circles on a page!)

13. Tera says:

Give me pictures. In fact, I cannot follow knitting patterns. Mental block. I get how they work, I know what everything means but something short circuits when I see them on a page. I want a book that shows a shape and says get this shape doing this….increase like this, decrease like this, arrows pointing where to increase and decrease and by how many. That is confusing for some people but I could finally follow a pattern. Sewing-pictures, diagrams :>

14. mamie says:

well, you are definitely studying the brilliant ones. i am totally immersed in the alabama stitch book right now, it is like a wonderland of sewing.
    cannot wait to add yours to the collection.

15. Margie says:

Diagrams please. I am such a visual learner. I love they was Sandi Henderson of portabellopixie does her patterns. Colour, lots of diagrams and short descriptions. Hope this helps :)

16. carin says:

Photo and Diagram! And careful how you say it. I love both Lotta and Joelle’s work, but Joelle makes it so much more clear :)

17. liz says:

my only thought on writing a book, or for buying my next one, rather. . . i think there are plenty of books out there that have projects on making napkins and hostess aprons – it would be nice to have something different. i think your style is different than a lot of the books you have pics of. you do toys, embroidery. i think that kind of thing would be great.

18. tracey paulson says:

yes, pictures as well as diagrams! and i’m woondering also – what are the 2 top books called and where can i get them?
    thank you!