wanderlust

wanderlust, originally uploaded by Hillary Lang.

Blythe has a new poncho thanks to the dolly dolly book and now she's looking for a new adventure. And still a new name. I'm trying to think of something 70s that's not Jennifer or Michelle.

Wait.. I got it, Mary Ann! Cassandra said Ginger and that got me thinking Gilligan's Island and man, is this gal a Mary Ann or what?! Perfect. Now I just need to make her some short shorts. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

55 thoughts on “wanderlust

1. Missy says:

Sarah Jane, Claire Louise and Laura Jane were all very popular in my class and I am a true seventies child. Although called none of these!

2. Jennifer says:

I feel like children born in the current age are getting some terrible names.
    That said, your post made me laugh because I am Jennifer and my mother was Michelle, though we both skipped the seventies (she came before, I came after).
    Anyway, I think she looks like a Shelley.

3. Michele says:

And what’s wrong with Michelle? LOL! It always bothered me there were so many people around with my name. I always had to go by Michelle S in school. Drove me nuts. I remember lots of Traceys, Karens, Katies?

4. Asha says:

I was born in 1973 and my name is Asha, my sister is Lainy, I also have a cousin Chavela. Another cousin we call Keeny. Growing up I had a friend named Magda and Star and Star is still my good friend. That’s just if you want to go with the non-conventional names.

5. Lily says:

Blythes are great aren’t they! I have 3. But I got them before the price went right up! She is very pretty, is she an ADG?
    How about Lola?
    be careful though Blythes are very demanding. Always wanting new clothes and new sisters. Mine never stop complaining!

6. Catherine says:

Growing up in the mid-eighties, all my babysitters (who were born in the early seventies, at least!) had friends with the name of “Crystal.” Every single one. Even as a kid, I found that strange.
    So there’s always Crystal!

7. brooke says:

i agree, heather is the most 70’s name there is. 70’s names always makes me think of the Bad News Bears and Tanner Boyle, you should name her Tanner.

8. Jacqui says:

I was going to suggest Susan or Lisa and I see Lisa was in the top 10 names in the 70s. Jessica had the biggest jump in popularity in that decade, followed by Heather (man I love Google!).
    1. Jennifer
    2. Amy
    3. Melissa
    4. Michelle
    5. Kimberly
    6. Lisa
    7. Angela
    8. Heather
    9. Stephanie
    10. Jessica

9. Queen of Procrastination says:

I graduated from High School in 1973 and lots of my hippie friends were having cute babies. I think this dolly looks like a ‘Summer Love’. Or perhaps “Freedom Dawn”. Ok, it was worth a try. Love the cute doll. Does she have an East Indian bedspread halter dress yet?

10. Marg says:

Ooooo…. I like Mary Ann — she’s got that curly hair thing going and all. Suits her just perfectly. I chose a 70’s name for mine as well — Esmerelda. :)

11. Mary Ann/Ca says:

Well I”m a Mary Ann and about 20yrs pre 70’s. But my daughter is a 70’s…Jennifer! And my step daughter, also a 70’s is Shelly. How about Shannon?

12. Melissa says:

I know everyone’s into these Blythe dolls, but I find them a little creepy. Is that actually part of the appeal, their unique look? Maybe I’m just stuck in that kid-afraid-of-dolls stage.