1958 is our year

1958 is our year, originally uploaded by Hillary Lang.

I bought Tim this calendar towel to hang in our kitchen. ’58 is our year. Our house was built in 1958. Then we started noticing that more often than not when we buy something old off ebay or at the thrift store or whatever it’s from 1958. Evidently that was our year, even if we weren’t around to see it.

21 thoughts on “1958 is our year

1. Mary says:

For some reason, in the past two weeks, if I click on weewonderfuls from my favorites list, I don’t see the new posts. I have to go to the archives, and there they are! This seemed to just happen randomly, as all was well prior to Jan. 12. Does anyone know what might be going on? Thanks!

2. SpiderWomanKnits says:

That is so funny. On my weekly vintage hunt this past weekend I went to my favorite Estate Sale/Antique Shop and they only had two of these calendar towels. One 1977 the year of my birth and one 1970 the year of my husbands. Of course I had to get them.
    Yours is just darling and made even better by the significance :-)

3. Lisa says:

My birth year! Yay! Wow…I never find anything from 1958 except pennies–really brown, corroded, rusty, dented, chipped-up pennies. Hmmm…okay, now I feel old…

4. Queen of Dreamsz at dream kingdom says:

I collect the linen calendars…although I haven’t been lucky enough to find one from 1958..that’s my year for sure! my birth year…
    If you run across another one visit me and let me know..I’ll be more than happy to reimburse for it. :0)
    Have a grand day,
    Stephanie
    Queen of Dreamsz

5. Tam says:

LoL! I wasn’t here in ’58 either but thats the year my husband was born! I tell him he is an ole vintage guy now! LoL-it is a good year! Fun post!~Smiles~Tam!

6. kitschen pink says:

That’s really nice but kind of spooky too! If you move to a 1967 house you’ll have to take note to see if your buying behaviour shifts slightly! It might just be that you happen to have exceptional mid-century good taste! Great t-towel. I buy vintage t-towels with cars and fish in the hope that hubby might prefer to use them rather than all the floral ones – hasn’t worked so far! t.x

7. Ruthie says:

How cool! My first car at 17 was a 1958 Standard Pennant (UK)…. gorgeous girl she was but couldn’t go faster than 35mph!

8. Laura K says:

I collect calendar towels too! I have the year I was born, the year my husband was born, the year of my graduation and one for each child. The 1977 towel had fabulous retro owls on it and so of course I made it into a bag. I was surprised when my college-aged daughter insisted that she wanted it! She carried it for about a year. Go figure.

9. Megan says:

I just bought one of these for 1969. It was a total a-ha moment in the thrift store. Stood out from all the cheap fringe-y bags that were dangling around it.
    I can’t wait to put it up somewhere, but so far a suitable nook hasn’t presented itself.

10. Paula says:

1958 is my year – the year I was born. The peace sign was born that year, legos – all kinds of great things have been having a 50th anniversary in 2008. I feel pretty good about being 50 since I am in such good company.

11. SmitoniusAndSonata says:

In 1958 I was 11 ! I remember lots of Scandinavian designs ….so “new”! and lots of Art Deco ….so “old-fashioned “! And ghastly food ….that’s definitely got better !!