the soft tree

Instead of having our faker table top tree eating up our tiny kitchen table this year we put it in the playroom and put all our soft ornaments on it. You know, in case it falls over on anyone.

I’ve been puttering around on various handsewn ornaments while watching tv at night and made this tiny quilt ornament. Perfect for the soft tree.

Some of my favorite ornaments are soft ones, like my eskimo fisher-penguin. I keep searching for them on the regular tree and then remembering oh yeah, the soft tree. It’s amazing how many times I can forget the same thing over and over. It’s a special talent of mine.

15 thoughts on “the soft tree

1. kern says:

What a great idea! I stuck our tree in a corner and only put ornaments from my waist up-and then put up a safety gate. The Littles are dead nuts on our tree!

2. Nancy says:

thanks for reminding me i have that mitten ornament
    now where is it?
    i have the same talent
    oh that quilting bee pillow in the gallery images right now is so cute

3. Barbara says:

Oh, I just love that quilt! My daughter has been wanting to make a patchwork quilt and that would be a perfect starter project, I think.
    I haven’t made ornaments in years but I’m having a great time making them with my girls this year. Thanks for sharing yours, they’re so inspiring!

4. Lavender Dreamer says:

What sweet decorations for the soft tree. I LOVE the little quilt and may want to try to make one of those! Thanks for the ideas!

5. Glenda says:

Oh, I have that special talent too!! We should form a club . . . but then we might forget we did, and form it again . . . and again 😉
    I like the idea of a tree with just soft ornaments. But then, I like the idea of having a decorated tree in every room — something I *will* accomplish one of these years.
    Such sweet ornaments on your soft-ornament tree.

6. Terriaw says:

Aw, what a cute tree! I love that it has a softie theme, which sounds like a good idea if there is a chance for tipping. I especially love that mini quilt ornament – so sweet!

7. Gail says:

Love the tree! Thanks again Hillary for sending the Kit, Chloe, and Louise PDF book so quickly. I have printed it out and am anxious to get started 😉

8. Yvonne Stehle says:

So now I know what I am going to make with the kids ; A soft tree. So they can touch it and I don’t have to worry!
    Will start today! Thanks for this great idea and now I know where some of the stitchette-ornaments go!

9. katy says:

What a great idea. Our Christmas trees have been “softy” trees for the past 2 years – probably this year too as our 2 year old is such a grabber bug.